Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Be vigilant: Anticitoyens could be behind any corner.

Author Topic: The Taijitu Tavern  (Read 185063 times)

Offline Bara

Re: The Taijitu Tavern
« Reply #1980 on: July 18, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »
Sweden has mechs now?! I honestly thought Japan would get those first...

i think in Japan they built something like a mech, but it doesn't walk on 2 legs.
Bara, King of Spam, Slayer of Spelling, Vanquisher of Grammar.

Offline The Empire

• Glory to the dark gods!
« Reply #1981 on: July 18, 2007, 11:54:25 PM »
Well Mech inf. is an abbreviation for Mechanized infantry, not battle mechs... duh...

A RL battle mech or 'mecha' as the japs prefer is never going to happen since it's too vulnerable a system.
Firstly, it will be way to complex for field repairs.
As if that isn't enough, it will be taken out by any MBT as easy as the stationary targets on the shooting range due to size, lack of armour, massive heat signature, balance problems if bipedal and low speed.
Then it won't be able to carry most heavier weapons due to weight and recoil.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 12:00:22 AM by The Empire »

Join the Word Bearer legion and brin glory to the dark gods! Taijitu stalker extraordinaire - no Taijituan presses a key without my knowledge, Resident Cannibal - I prefer females, Resident ginormous dragon - It is not a good idea to mess with a dragon who is packing heavy firepower

Offline Bara

« Reply #1982 on: July 18, 2007, 11:54:58 PM »
i know... im up to date with the military emp.

Offline The Empire

« Reply #1983 on: July 19, 2007, 12:02:07 AM »
Well, good, did I mention we of some odd reason happen to have the best IFVs and MBTs around? (not counting Israel's highly specialized Merkava IV MBT)

Join the Word Bearer legion and brin glory to the dark gods! Taijitu stalker extraordinaire - no Taijituan presses a key without my knowledge, Resident Cannibal - I prefer females, Resident ginormous dragon - It is not a good idea to mess with a dragon who is packing heavy firepower

Offline Tacolicious

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Tacoman
« Reply #1984 on: July 19, 2007, 12:02:18 AM »
Well Mech inf. is an abbreviation for Mechanized infantry, not battle mechs... duh...

A RL battle mech or 'mecha' as the japs prefer is never going to happen since it's too vulnerable a system.
Firstly, it will be way to complex for field repairs.
As if that isn't enough, it will be taken out by any MBT as easy as the stationary targets on the shooting range due to size, lack of armour, massive heat signature, balance problems if bipedal and low speed.
Then it won't be able to carry most heavier weapons due to weight and recoil.

It'd still be cool though... and never say never. Think of how technology has advanced in the last 10 years... 20 years...
http://www.nationstates.net/wheresoever

"Reality is an illusion albeit a persistant one"
"Wisest is he who knows he is not wise"
"Nothing is fun when you have to do it, that's why you don't see a lot of old whores giggling over sex"

Delicious Comrade of the most Awesome Party

Offline Bara

« Reply #1985 on: July 19, 2007, 12:20:50 AM »
i can see it now. a 1000 Mechas going through a city, with foot soldiers around it.... yeah, that would be cool.

Offline The Empire

« Reply #1986 on: July 19, 2007, 12:23:15 AM »
Well, no, I still say never, in open fields, they will be destroyed before they see action, in city fighting they would be better but still not much use. Powered armour would be far better there.

Offline Bara

« Reply #1987 on: July 19, 2007, 12:24:14 AM »
like, space marines armour?

Offline Tacolicious

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Tacoman
« Reply #1988 on: July 19, 2007, 02:43:07 AM »
What if they give them a cloaking device... like the ones currently being worked on at MIT?
http://www.nationstates.net/wheresoever

"Reality is an illusion albeit a persistant one"
"Wisest is he who knows he is not wise"
"Nothing is fun when you have to do it, that's why you don't see a lot of old whores giggling over sex"

Delicious Comrade of the most Awesome Party

Offline The Empire

« Reply #1989 on: July 19, 2007, 08:32:50 AM »
Problem with that is that if it's based on cameras and projecting the background on the opposite side, it only works good when not moving. Second, all the cameras and projectors would be highly vulnerable to small arms fire. Third, it creates a significant ammount of heat close to the surface, so while it makes it very hard to see in the spectrum visible to the human eye, it will become easier to detect in other spectrums.
If it tries to use other methods, like actually bending light, the magnetic fields requiered won't allow any pilot or ground support troops within considderable distance due to health risks plus that it will cause every single piece of scrap iron to hurl towards it like missiles from hundreds of meters away and it would show up on all radars within range as a massive radar disturbance (all things vanish from radar miles around it) and radio transmissions will be impossible for miles around.

Any to Barak, yes, like the Space marine armour, though it will probably be less agile, less effective and smaller in real life, plus that it's main usage will be in building sweeps room-to-room.

Offline Bara

« Reply #1990 on: July 19, 2007, 12:59:04 PM »
yeah, i figured that. But it would be cool.

Offline The Empire

« Reply #1991 on: July 19, 2007, 01:27:15 PM »
I like the idea of power armour far better than battle mechs, though Dreadnaughts would have a role since they would be small enough to support the PA squads in many ways, not the least in battering up wall breaches, freeing up lots of explosives to other things.

Offline Bara

« Reply #1992 on: July 19, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »
yeah. Picture this for a second. having imperial guard tanks. that would be cool.

Offline The Empire

« Reply #1993 on: July 19, 2007, 01:35:48 PM »
Nope... I wouldn't want to be caught in one of those if it was the only protection in the world.

Do you know why no modern armoured vehicle use riveted armour what so ever?
Second, they have no speed what so ever, a tank moving at walking speed is a dead tank.
Plus that they can't hit the broad side of a barn if they stood next to it. (no gun stabilization, only visual sights and no suspension)

Offline Bara

« Reply #1994 on: July 19, 2007, 01:37:22 PM »
i see what you mean.