Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: More stylish University uniforms and supplies for our dear students!

Author Topic: The Megatridimensional Order 1983 Economic Summit - OOC  (Read 7103 times)

Offline Erno

Re: The Megatridimensional Order 1983 Economic Summit - OOC
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »
Life itself is nice, until others happen to be in it ;D
And sure, thanks for understanding!

Offline bigbaldben

• Voice of the People Editor
  • The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 11:09:03 AM »
Ok, next step is this: Silvercrone will give the keynote and the basics of what we would like to see in a trade agreement.   In the meantime, probably today, I will post the generic agreement in this thread.  This offer is to all nations, even if you had to leave the conference.  Once Silvercrone gives his speech, interested nations should post the offer/counteroffer (with your changes) and any accompanying narrative in the RP thread.  The Order will ratify, reject, or negotiate based on what you post.  Then the Summit will come to a close.

Make sense?  Good plan?  Better ideas?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:12:06 AM by bigbaldben »

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 09:35:39 PM »
Standard free trade agreement that the Order will offer all nations attending (or attended at some point, or are teleconferencing in, etc. etc.) is below.  Like any good document, I ripped off some of the wording from an actual free trade agreement (US and Lebanon, I believe).  ;D

Once Silvercrone gives his speech, negotiations open!  In the RP thread, you can:

1. agree to sign with no changes
2. make changes, add conditions, etc. 
3. reject outright

After which the Order will

1. also sign
2. accept changes and sign or reject changes
3. say goodbye and good luck

So we don't get into a quazillion posts of back and forth, for those of you in #2, if the Order rejects your changes, you will have one final chance to sign or make a statement about how unyielding and inflexible we are or whatever.

I'll give everyone some time IRL (a week after Silvercrone's speech - which will be...maybe Wed?) to respond to this agreement - but I will respond to your response fairly quickly so we can wrap this up.

For those nations that fell away (and/or people who have lives and for some reason prioritize that life over Taijitu) you can sign or negotiate whenever you can, but once I end the conference, all unsigned offers will be rescinded because closure.

As always, feel free to offer alternatives or suggestions!

Agreement Between
The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
and
[Insert Nation Here]
on the Establishment of Free Trade

The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order and [Insert Nation Here] (hereafter, “partner party”), in order to:

Strengthen the bonds of friendship and economic relations and cooperation between them;

Establish clear and mutually advantageous rules governing their trade;

Promote their mutual interest through trade between their nations; with a view towards raising living standards and promoting economic growth, investment opportunities, development, prosperity, employment and the optimal use of resources in their territories;

Raise the capacity and international competitiveness of their goods and services;

Agree as follows:

1.  Each Party will eliminate import taxes on originating goods of the other Party.

2.  A Party may not introduce a new tax on imports or a new quantitative restriction on imports in trade between the Parties.

3.  Each Party will accord to nationals of the other Party treatment no less favorable than it accords to its own nationals with regard to the protection and enjoyment of all intellectual property rights and any benefits derived therefrom.

4.  The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order, within 45 days of this agreement, will release documentation, including design specifications and laboratory trials, of the Digital Megaprocessor Microchip Technology (DMMT) to the partner party for use in both parties’ current and future goods and services. 

a. The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order waives all intellectual property rights and all claims to compensation from the DMMT as used in goods and services created or originated in the national boundaries of the partner party in perpetuity, including after this agreement is dissolved.

b. The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order retains all intellectual property rights and all claims to compensation from the use of the DMMT in goods and services created or originated in the national boundaries of nations with whom the Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order has no existing free trade agreement.

5.  The partner party agrees not to sell, give, trade or leave unprotected the design specifications or any other documented or verbal instructions on the DMMT.

6.  Each Party will implement fully the obligations of this agreement within six months from the date of signature.
7. Nothing in this Agreement will be construed:

a.  to require any Party to furnish or allow access to any information the disclosure of which it determines to be contrary to its essential security interests;

b.  to prevent any Party from taking any actions that it considers necessary for the protection of its essential security interests:

i.  relating to the traffic in arms, ammunition and implements of war and to such traffic and transactions in other goods, materials, services and technology undertaken directly or indirectly for the purpose of supplying a military or other security establishment,

ii.  taken in time of war or other emergency in international relations

8.   The Parties will make every attempt to arrive at a mutually agreeable resolution:

a.  whenever a dispute arises concerning the interpretation of this Agreement;

b.  whenever a Party considers that the other Party has failed to carry out its obligations under this Agreement; or

c.   whenever a Party considers that measures taken by the other Party severely distort the balance of trade benefits accorded by this Agreement, or substantially undermine fundamental objectives of this Agreement.
If Parties cannot come to a mutually agreeable resolution, parties will agree to abide by the ruling of a third party moderator from another Taijitu nation within thirty (30) days of date dispute was initiated and communicated from the aggrieved party to the other party.  If parties cannot agree on a third party moderator, this agreement will expire forty-five (45) days from date dispute was initiated and communicated from the aggrieved party to the other party.

9.  Either Party may terminate this Agreement by written notification to the other Party.   This Agreement will expire three (3) months after the date of such notification.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned, being duly authorized by their respective governments, have signed this agreement in the City of Nirvana, Cetacea, Republic of Megatridimensional Order on the date of XXXXXXX.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2015, 11:45:10 PM »
Bustos, I just noticed the political cartoon.  Bravo!  :clap:

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2015, 01:28:58 AM »
IN THE HOME STRETCH now.  Woot.

Silvercrone's speech is over - if as many of you as possible could reply with the contract (see above) and maybe throw in your own goodbye scene, then I will wrap up the conference.

I don't want to leave it open indefinitely, so should we say:  May 11?  That'll give two weekends.

Thanks everyone - hope you sign the free trade agreements, but regardless, this has been quite fun!!  Thanks for participating!  :)

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »
Bustos, I just noticed the political cartoon.  Bravo!  :clap:

Thanks.   :drunks:
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2015, 10:27:32 PM »
Hey guys, can someone throw me a bone?   :keke:

If you just want to post a yes or no WRT the trade agreement, I can even run with that!  Help me close this out and feed my obsessive compulsive side!!!   :)

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2015, 10:42:30 PM »
Sorry we will be declining, was trying to think of a rewrite however the IP isn't something we could work with.

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2015, 11:12:18 PM »
Sorry we will be declining, was trying to think of a rewrite however the IP isn't something we could work with.

No problem!  Sorry what is IP? Intellectual property?  I was kind of thinking that after reading up on your nation.  Maybe we'll go to war at some point.  Yay.  Anyway thanks for giving it a shot. :-)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:19:17 PM by bigbaldben »

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2015, 02:12:37 AM »
Yea intellectual property isn't something I imagine would immediately spark a war. Embargo and such tensions leading to a cold war attitude I can see though. No probs :D

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2015, 03:52:25 AM »
i plan to say, yes, still workin on my post.

u gave until wed, 11th

Oh and what is the issue with the IP?  Megatri is giving up all rights on it...

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2015, 05:05:04 AM »
Oh IP isn't given any rights at all in Khem aside from those owned by the state which go public after five years anyhow. We couldn't stick to the terms which are heavily embedded in the agreement. All thats left after is free trade which we aren't keen on either.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2015, 11:32:19 AM »
i plan to say, yes, still workin on my post.

u gave until wed, 11th

Yep, absolutely.  I was just getting a little nervous.   :-P

Oh and what is the issue with the IP?  Megatri is giving up all rights on it...

Yes, all IP rights to the DMMT, but more importantly, everything you need to know to manufacture it - I have only a vague notion of what it is exactly.  A MacGuffin, I suppose, for future worldbuilding.   Some nation might sell it, some nation might steal it, a corporation might steal it from it's own goverment, or a Norse god might travel across the universe and use it to open a portal that begins an alien invasion of Taijitu that can only be stopped by a team of extraordinary people, if  they can learn to work together!!

For a Taijitu example, al'Khem's point about a likely cold war attitude developing (due to the nature of our conflicting national views) sets up the perfect scenario for them to steal the DMMT if they wanted to (claiming, of course, that they didn't steal, but developed it on their own - true or not, doesn't really matter, of course  ;) ) - IOW, a whole new branch to explore for whoever might want to explore it.  If there's no interest, then ya know, there's just no interest, and that's cool.  That's my thought anyway.  Hopefully not treading on any toes to verify OOC that it IS (in 1983) extremely advanced.

I suppose I should have learned by now to better utilize the OOC thread with explanations like this, lol.   :drunk: 

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »
Oh IP isn't given any rights at all in Khem aside from those owned by the state which go public after five years anyhow. We couldn't stick to the terms which are heavily embedded in the agreement. All thats left after is free trade which we aren't keen on either.

Ahh, okay, I was never sure what direction your government went with the economy during modern times.  Now I am seeing it.

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »
Thanks Bustos!  And not just for the last post, which was a cool ending from your perspective.  But also thanks for participating in the role play and offering up the Duke to be the victim.  Really helped make the summit meaningful...