Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Long live the Glorious Revolution!

Author Topic: Delegate Elections January 2008: Nominations  (Read 8194 times)

Offline Templarios

• My Nation
Delegate Elections January 2008: Nominations
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:00:02 AM »
        Morning boys and girls. Sorry this is a few days later but here we go again. Our first election for 2008 and i hope everyone is currently having a good year. Anyway, down to it:

Senators can nominate citizens of Taijitu for candidacy in this Delegate election of January 2008. Its going to run for 7 days starting now (ends - 24/01).

A few rules to remember and then we can start:
        • Both Delegate and Vice Delegate must have a nation possessing  at least 1 billion citizens, have been a citizen for 90 days, and 300 post of the regional forums.
        • The Delegate nominee must name a Vice Delegate running mate by the end of this 7 day period.
        • Only Senators may nominate someone for candidacy.

Current Candidates
(in order of nomination)

• Osamafune - Greater Canadian Empire

• Allama - Korinn

• Myroria

• Grace Minus - Grace Minus

• Twitchy - Larry

• Sovereign Dixie - Inglo-Scotia

Key:
*Delegate nominee has not yet accepted the nomination of the Senator
**Vice Delegate Nominee has not yet accepted the nomination of the Delegate Candidate.
Names in Italic are the Vice-Delegate for the Delegate Candidate above their name

][/list][/list][/list]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:36:18 PM by Meridianland »
*Disclaimer*
In my above post, I did not intend to offend or upset anyone. If you were so, I deeply apologise.

Citzen since 08.10.07 ¦ Senator since 08.12.07 ¦ Second Speaker pro-Temp.

My Nations Stats  ¦ Standing Order - Views Only ¦ Knight's International Church Bank

Wiki Page

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
Re: Delegate Elections January 2008: Nominations
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
I hereby nominate Korinn.

Offline Meridianland

• Goddess of the hunt
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »
Thanks for starting this up, Temp. 

OK I am back, and as Speaker, I am not allowing the nomination of Osamafune. 

This is in response to his post in this thread: 
My UN nation is still Collosea and my current resident nation is the Empire of Great Britain Reborn. That's all that's required, and at no point have I ever not had a nation in the region.

His resident nation Great Britain Reborn was only born 45 days ago.  From the xml on his nation: 
<FOUNDED>45 days ago</FOUNDED>

Collosea, the nation with which he originally applied for citizenship in Taijitu, no longer resides in the region and moved out approximately 67 days ago.  This is from the region in which it is currently delegate: 
UN Delegate:  The Federation of Collosea (elected 66 days ago).

That means he has violated the terms of his citizenship
1. Any resident shall be capable of obtaining citizenship in Taijitu, and shall maintain this citizenship unless they violate any of the conditions enumerated herein or are found guilty of having violated the laws of Taijitu by the Supreme Court.
1. Citizens shall maintain a resident nation residing within Taijitu.
and hence he is no longer eligible to run for delegate.

Furthermore, and significantly, the constitution stipulates that nations running for delegate must have a population of greater than 1 billion.  Great Britain Reborn does not.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:51:36 PM by Meridianland »

Taijitu's Lord High Priestess and Protector of the Region

Offline Osamafune

• Myminicity
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »
I have a nation in the region, I have disclosed my UN nation, and the constitution says I must have a nation 1 billion in size but it doesn't say it has to be within the region. If I accept the nomination, of course I would move Collosea back because Great Britain Reborn isn't a UN member.

Based on your conditions, there's no reason why I can't run.

Offline Gulliver

• Data Dog
  • Citizen
  • Forsooth, do you grok my jive, me hearties?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
If he has a resident nation in the region the way I see things his citizenship is still valid. I will note however that election law requires candidates to begin collecting a healthy base of UN endorsements when they accept their nomination to ensure a rapid handover of power, and to that end you will be needing a UN nation in the region.

Offline Meridianland

• Goddess of the hunt
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 10:19:25 PM »
His residency lapsed and his current nation isn't big enough.  Since you're the Grand Poobah though, Prag, I'm not letting him run unless you (or the court) give me the word.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 10:24:50 PM by Meridianland »

Offline Osamafune

• Myminicity
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »
As I said, I would move my UN nation (which happens to have a population of over one billion) back if I accepted the nomination. The constitution doesn't say that nation has to be in the region. I haven't accepted it yet, anyway; if I don't accept the nomination, I can't run.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 10:26:25 PM by Osamafune »

Offline Templarios

• My Nation
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:02:48 PM »
I nominate Allama
*Disclaimer*
In my above post, I did not intend to offend or upset anyone. If you were so, I deeply apologise.

My Nations Stats  ¦ Standing Order - Views Only ¦ Knight's International Church Bank

Wiki Page

Offline Osamafune

• Myminicity
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 11:07:09 PM »
I lol'ed.

Offline Osamafune

• Myminicity
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 01:02:44 AM »
So when does the nomination period end and the campaigning and voting periods begin?

Offline B9 perspective

• Reincarnate Russian Potato Farmer Extraordinaire
  • Easy, Baby..........
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 07:10:29 AM »
I nominate Flemingovia.

If he has a resident nation in the region the way I see things his citizenship is still valid.

AND Osamafune has agreed that he would move his UN nation with its requisite population back to the region if his nomination is indeed permitted and accepted....

As Speaker, Meridianland is election officer BUT restrictions on citizenship are determined by the Delegate or over ridden and determined by the Supreme Court, neither of which I've yet witnessed.
IF Osamafune's nomination is denied, then the basic structures outlined in the Constitution and Laws of Taijitu are as I see it, being placed into question; namely that the Delegate or the Supreme Court decide what are the restrictions placed on citizenship.
IF Osamafune's lapse of maintaining citizenship is considered cause of the Speaker's determination to deny his nomination then given the same standard, how is Osamafune's being a Senator permitted? And yet, both the Speaker, the Supreme Court and the Delegate have permitted his being a Senator and his votes and comments as a Senator..I'd appreciate it if somehow this consideration was clarified; Senator yes, but Nominee as Delegate, no.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 07:45:32 AM by B9 perspective »
Tolerance, generosity, patience, openmindedness, and anything having to do with chord progressions....

Offline Templarios

• My Nation
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:59:29 AM »
So when does the nomination period end and the campaigning and voting periods begin?

24/01 till nominations end
*Disclaimer*

Wiki Page

Offline Meridianland

• Goddess of the hunt
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 04:36:32 PM »

IF Osamafune's lapse of maintaining citizenship is considered cause of the Speaker's determination to deny his nomination then given the same standard, how is Osamafune's being a Senator permitted? And yet, both the Speaker, the Supreme Court and the Delegate have permitted his being a Senator and his votes and comments as a Senator..I'd appreciate it if somehow this consideration was clarified; Senator yes, but Nominee as Delegate, no.

Well, B9, I'm considering opening a vote on his removal.  I'm waiting for a definitive answer from Prag on that.  If you used your close reading skills in the thread above, you would have noticed that.  Please don't be so quick to condemn and complain. 

Osa himself admits to breaking the oath of his citizenship in another thread.

And, as election officer, I do have authority to allow or disallow whomever I see fit according to election law.  For instance, if Zetty (a brand new member *waves*) were to be nominated at this point, I would disallow his nomination.  There's no point in waiting around for the delegate to do that. If the election officer can't do it, then there's no point to the region having an election officer.   I decided to defer to Prag on Osa's thing because of the dialogue that Prag himself is also contributing to. 

Offline Flemingovia

• Official Taijitu Minister of Apathy
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »
Thanks for the nomination, B9.

I accept the nomination.

Offline B9 perspective

• Reincarnate Russian Potato Farmer Extraordinaire
  • Easy, Baby..........
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 06:22:09 PM »
Glad you accepted Flemingovia, you're very welcome.

Well, B9, I'm considering opening a vote on his removal.  I'm waiting for a definitive answer from Prag on that.  If you used your close reading skills in the thread above, you would have noticed that.  Please don't be so quick to condemn and complain.

As I understood the text you posted before, you were awaiting word from Prag and or the Supreme Court regarding his and their opinions on whether Osamafune should be permitted to run as Delegate, not on whether you should open a vote for his removal....Pragmia already gave an opinion regarding Osamafune's citizenship and of what he saw as any eventual concern regarding Osamafune's nomination.
I condemned nothing and wasn't complaining, but rather asked for clarification. Several times now you have made wide accusations about what you interpret as complaining...just because people sometimes write things you don't like for whatever reason- doesn't mean they are necessarily complaining. As far as I understand, people are permitted to have interpretations, opinions, questions, without them necessarily being called 'complaining' redundantly. *smells active propagandic techniques cuddled in please, but decides to continue*

1. The Speaker shall be charged with calling, ending and declaring the results of votes, maintaining the Senate Roster, and ensuring that the Senate functions properly as enumerated herein and that the laws and Constitution of Taijitu are up to date.
2. Should the Speaker be unable to perform their duties for any reason or their office be left vacant then the Delegate shall begin procedures to elect a new Speaker. The term of Speakers elected in special elections shall endure only until the next normal Speaker election.
3. The Speaker shall swear by the oath provided by the Senate.
4. The Senate shall have the power to remove from office the Speaker if they in the opinion of the Senate have violated the Constitution and laws of Taijitu, broken their oath or failed to fulfill their duties by a vote of no confidence.
5. The interim Delegate shall initiate election procedures for Speaker at the time of the ratification of this document.

Nowhere in there does it says the election officer decides who can run as they see fit.
Certainly the Speaker is required to be obey considerations outlined in the Constitution. Restrictions on citizenship are determined by the Delegate or by an override two thirds vote of the Judiciary.

None of this would be much of a concern if we hadn't already had a justice declaring ineligibility for a nomination, without any evidence of a 2/3rds vote to override the Delegate's opinion AND an administrator saying the matter DIDN'T regard a restriction on citizenship- when apparently, according to you and Durnia, it IS a matter of the validity of Osamafune's citizenship, the same citizenship that permits and permitted his applying for and becoming Senator.

I'm glad that you are consulting the Delegate and the judiciary regarding Osamafune's eligibility or in eligibility.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:54:19 PM by B9 perspective »
Tolerance, generosity, patience, openmindedness, and anything having to do with chord progressions....