Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Play forum games in an offensive way, like those of the anti-junta resistance!

Author Topic: June 2011 Delegate Elections: Vote  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Corgi

• Citizen
  • My hovercraft is full of eels.
Re: June 2011 Delegate Elections: Vote
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 07:52:34 PM »
I wouldn't create a special interim office, I would just say the reality of the situation indicates the need for the office to be filled.  I would however make it clear to any new members that it is a time of renewal and that there are opportunities for everyone - to that end I would suggest not holding to a specific time line but more a recruitment goal.

But, I am bit late for discussions and a brass token short.

My "I gotta have income, OMG I hope I get another job soon" job plays havoc with my schedule - hence my erratic appearances.  I need to ice my elbow now.

If you strike a thorn or rose,
Keep a-goin'!
If it hails or if it snows,
Keep a-goin'!
'Taint no use to sit an' whine
When the fish ain't on your line;
Bait your hook an' keep a-tryin'--
Keep a-goin'!

Offline Amy

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »
The elections were not only the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen, but they were thoroughly rushed. After the incredible cock up with the refounding attempt, they should have been postponed for a few days.

No offence or nothing, but half the people here have only been back for a couple of weeks. Most of you let your nations die a long time ago. Sure, I've not been active on the forum (mainly because there weren't too many people around to be active with), but I kept TCM alive and gave a damn about the region for the past few months. So why the sudden rush? Why the oh-my-fucking-god-we-need-to-refound-and-hold-elections-immediately approach?

I didn't run for several reasons. I wasn't going to do an Elu and run just for the sake of there being someone else.

Offline Eluvatar

• Tech Monkey
  • Citizen
  • O_O
    • Taijitu.org
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
Why the rush?

Because the last attempt failed due to things slowing down into nothing. We believed that the best way to avoid that would be to keep moving swiftly, much like we did things in January 2007 when we founded Taijitu in the first place.

It is my understanding that the leader we elect now will organize the rest of the revival process. Doing this without leadership & responsibility has a chance of breaking down.

In particular, every day we aren't recruiting increases the risk of a fizzle. We aren't recruiting until after we refound, and I do think it appropriate to have leadership organized before we begin recruiting as well.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Amy

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
It is my understanding that the leader we elect now will organize the rest of the revival process.

You mean the one person who actually wanted the position? My point is that it would have been nice to actually have a democratic election, instead of a sham where unless people were intentionally trying to screw you over Elu, there was only one choice to vote for.

Offline Eluvatar

• Tech Monkey
  • Citizen
  • O_O
    • Taijitu.org
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »
It's for 7 weeks.

What's the difference between a "sham" election now and a "real" election 7 weeks from now and just appointing SD now and having another election 7 weeks from now?

That we have things based on elections and democracy from the start.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Amy

• Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »
So what exactly are you trying to achieve? A region with hundreds of nations in, but only a couple of dozen are actually active on the forum? As I recall, we've been there and done that. Loads of us, spending hours "recruiting", and how many actually got involved? You are looking at them all. Those who came back. All of those hours spent sending the same message over and over and we have maybe a dozen people left to show for it?

Well ejections are done. It's up to someone else to refound the region after update.

Offline Prydania

• The King of Sting
  • Ezekiel 25:17
    • Basically a Sports Show
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 10:41:42 PM »
It's not as if SD is running away with this thing. Elu's gotten a few votes. Sure, he may have run just for the sake of having a two man race, but it's not as if he never had a chance. The current vote tally should be enough proof that it's not a "sham" election.  
As to how long I plan on being back, well as long as possible. I dropped out for a variety of reasons, chief among them being an increase in school work. I'm in a position now where my schedule and work load is a lot lighter, so it only makes sense to use a lot of my newly acquired free time to go back to playing a game I love with people I enjoy playing it with.
The re-founding? I feel it's necessary. It would already be done and over with if it wasn't for a slight miscalculation.

Fact is we all want to be here, and we all want to make this work. Sure the elections for the first few go-arounds won't be anything special, and may seem redundant, but we have a system in place, so why not just go along with it? Appointing a temporary government to run things until we have enough people to make an election "worthwhile" in your eyes would be more trouble then simply holding these elections. Personally I look forward to the new and improved Taijitu, and I trust everyone here to make the experience in this game a pleasing one. Lets get through these first few steps as quickly and as easily as possible.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:44:14 PM by Inglo-Scotia »

Offline Amy

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »
I don't disagree with the idea that we need a Delegate. The reason I am asking why they couldn't have been postponed after the failure of the refounding attempt is because I was dealing with a very serious situation in RL, where a very close friend of mine fell very ill very fast and came close to passing away. I had made the other Founders aware of this, but I was still hounded, and this evening basically attacked (by the very person who screwed up so royally the first time) for not being around and doing what needed to be done in a sodding game. That is the ultimate reason I am pissed off. I most certainly did not need to receive an email informing me of a post on the forum during which I was basically attacked and accused of intentionally not doing what needed to be done while I am having such a hard time in real life.

Exactly what harm would have an extra two or three days made seeing as the region has been on deaths door for so long?

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 02:49:26 AM »
I thought you had a dying friend to attend to, and you spent 5 hours posting here.

To put it in prospective, that's about 20% of your day. To put it in even more prospective, most adults sleep 6-8 hours a day and so you actually wasted a third of your day bothering to make messages here. If you've got something truly more worthwhile you could be doing, you can always say "Fuck you Elu, I've got shit to do" and be off. I wouldn't blame you, because I refused to be part of this refounding deal because I've got work in the morning. What bothers me is you told very respectable people like PoD that they have no lives, when I could say his life is 10x more awesome than any of ours, he's got a promising job, a gorgeous girlfriend, and he snowboards whenever the fuck he wants to. Then you're causing all this nonconstructive criticism for 5 hours about a stupid forum poll.   

As for this discussion? Who cares? Terms are so short anyway. I have no problem with this election.

I don't even know why we bother with all this frivolous democracy shit anywho, there's what, 10 members? I think of this election more as "Which schmuck is dumb enough to want to pay attention to WA votes?"

Meh.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:51:55 AM by St Oz »

Offline Gulliver

• Data Dog
  • Citizen
  • Forsooth, do you grok my jive, me hearties?
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 05:29:14 AM »
Well, enough bickering in the voting booth already! The election is over, and Dixie has won, 3 to 1. Congratulations! I suggest he and his Vice Delegate take their oaths when they have the chance and get down to business.