Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: The arteries of Taijitu run not with blood, but with kittens!

Author Topic: The Taijitu Map  (Read 73796 times)

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • www.something.com
Re: The Taijitu Map
« Reply #660 on: August 09, 2007, 10:41:38 PM »
Black Area is Free land...

Offline Kozai

« Reply #661 on: August 10, 2007, 02:24:41 AM »
There's supposed to be real tough mountain terrain in my borders with one or two small hazardous paths through (one in the southwest corner, one somewhere north).

Offline Talmann

« Reply #662 on: August 10, 2007, 03:45:27 AM »
If it isn't on the climate map, it isn't there. You should've checked before you asked. Sorry to sound like a jerk, but I (and I'm sure Oz is too) don't like it when people whine about something they got when the information that tell them what they got is right in front of them. (Oh, and... if you're not whining, I apologize profusely.)
Music is the key to the heart.

"Once art to me was something far off, unfathomable and unreachable... But I discovered that the real essence of art was not something high up and far off, it was right inside my ordinary daily self. If a musician wants to be a fine artist, he must first become a finer person. A work of art is the expression of a person's whole personality, sensibility, and ability." -Shinichi Suzuki

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • www.something.com
« Reply #663 on: August 10, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »
When when you see that nobody else has square borders you have to look to the west and east of you, plenty of nations with square borders...

Offline Xyrael

• The Haradrim Empire - Submit to your new God.
« Reply #664 on: August 10, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »
IRL Examples: look at Saudi Arabian borders with Yemen, Oman, and UAE, as well as with Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, etc. All desert countries have squarish borders, and though it is due in large part to the map drawing techniques of imperialist powers, Saudi Arabia established borders with Yemen and Oman on it's own accord, without simply drawing on a map (if I'm not mistaken there was an actual conflict with Yemen...)

Another note for those people that want their nations to be natural fortresses. The only irl example is Tibet, and unless you pick a highland climate zone I'd be pretty eh about you getting it. Another note about mountains, they *may* act as chokepoints for armies, but they provide EXCELLENT cover for enemy aircraft, helicopters, and special forces sneaking across your border. If you look at the Falklands conflict between UK and Argentina, the Argentinian airforce used small hills as highly effective cover, now imagine what happens when they can just fly over giant mountains before your SAM can track them. Modern war has proven that the air force is the best first strike force around, so choke points are really unnecessary.
I have become, again and again.

Offline Talmann

« Reply #665 on: August 10, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »
Eh... I view my mounatains as a natural barrier, though CF shouldn't be a problem as they are quite on good terms.
Music is the key to the heart.

"Once art to me was something far off, unfathomable and unreachable... But I discovered that the real essence of art was not something high up and far off, it was right inside my ordinary daily self. If a musician wants to be a fine artist, he must first become a finer person. A work of art is the expression of a person's whole personality, sensibility, and ability." -Shinichi Suzuki

Offline Kozai

« Reply #666 on: August 12, 2007, 02:44:49 AM »
I've figured out that desert regions are square. But what I mean is like... my nation has natural borders. 

A very dense region of mountains with two passages through which is why Kozai is kinda... stuck in the past. Although it doesn't really mean I would have extended my borders to each mountain. There are "barbarian hordes in my nation. And just because I live in the desert does not mean I can't have mountains.

Offline Union

• Loyalty to Self, Liberty to All
« Reply #667 on: August 12, 2007, 03:36:46 AM »
Actually, deserts tend to form beside mountain ranges as the elevated terrain serves as a shield that blocks precipitation clouds from a body of water. But this is only viable if the mountains were at the coastline.
"Deception, Intelligence, Method, Execution, and Exploitation."

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #668 on: August 12, 2007, 05:29:06 AM »
it depends, in North Africa, the straight lines aren't just because it's desert. It's because those places have not much history or anything to hold, and they have been picked from drawing, not geographic/history precision.

I give you the example of the 'Pink Map'. Portugal was the 1st in to grab what is now Angola, and stretched to the east in straight line to Mozambique. They had no idea where the map ended, they knew, by convention, that above or below the lines the territory would belong to someone else. Then the Brittish had the genius idea of constructing a straight railway to connect the North to the South Africa.

Picking the example of the Saudi Arabia, it's that big because it controls the deserts. Same reason why Russia is huge. So straight lines in desert areas isn't an actual excuse in my brilliant opinion.
My suggestion: do straight lines whenever you feel to, who cares?

::) sorry Oz for the intermission.

Offline Govindia

• Banned
    • My Primary LJ
« Reply #669 on: August 13, 2007, 09:27:20 PM »
What would be the coastal area, next to Kingdom of Kabe be?

My nation is Arvengovi - check my profile for the link.

Hope that helps :)
United States of Arvengovi - Citizenship obtained 8 Aug. 2007!
-------------------------------------------------------------
Ambassador to The Exodus (14 Aug. 2007 - 14 Oct. 2007)

Offline Rock Briken

• Arrr im a Trader!?
« Reply #670 on: August 17, 2007, 03:48:15 AM »
Ok i am deciding to mapitize me.

http://www.nationstates.net/brikenn_traders

THe area i want is from Irontia to dsa. I want it to be just on the coast in a thin line.
Edit:Ok 550 S is the bottom ost :-P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:21:03 AM by Rock Briken »

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #671 on: August 17, 2007, 04:15:27 AM »
Brik, sorry, but Leitzembourg really traverses the entire continent, from west to east. Would you mind just moving your southern border up a bit so it borders it instead?
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #672 on: August 17, 2007, 04:20:29 AM »
 :o

Offline Rock Briken

• Arrr im a Trader!?
« Reply #673 on: August 17, 2007, 04:21:39 AM »

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #674 on: August 17, 2007, 02:05:32 PM »
He can't handle imperialism. He freaks out and starts whining. :P
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."