Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: The more kittens we post, the faster our region prospers; the less kittens we post, the slower our region prospers.

Author Topic: The Taijitu Map  (Read 76095 times)

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • www.something.com
Re: The Taijitu Map
« Reply #345 on: March 08, 2007, 05:56:19 AM »
Eh I think I'm going to give up on the map... if you want to try updating it on your own... fine by me

Make your own if you want.

Offline Parsanali

« Reply #346 on: March 08, 2007, 08:13:25 AM »
So where does this put me? Even if it doesn't show me on the map, can I at least be there "on paper"? I would really like to begin RPing.

« Reply #347 on: March 08, 2007, 08:41:38 AM »
I the nation of Kalvskar, would like to be near (400N, 900W).
Thanks, Kalvskar

http://nationstates.net/Kalvskar

Edit: With a port, if possible.

Same to me. Meanwhile, unless you find any objection, I shall assume the answer is true for RPing purposes.

The question is: is anybody going to run this? I would like my nation (and the rest of the 800) displayed on the map, but I understand it is a hard work (and praise St Oz for it).

Offline Talmann

« Reply #348 on: March 08, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »
Oz is giving up mapmaking? NOOOOO!!! Then our maps will look like the Lex's maps, shoddy and thrown together. Oz, you make the map what it is! Why give up?

Ok, I know that you have your reasons, and I respect that. I am just lamenting the death of good RP and well drawn maps. Y'know, with borders that aren't just straight lines or basic curves. Actual realistic borders. We will miss your contribution, Oz. No one, no matter how hard they try, could replace your mapmaking skills.
Music is the key to the heart.

"Once art to me was something far off, unfathomable and unreachable... But I discovered that the real essence of art was not something high up and far off, it was right inside my ordinary daily self. If a musician wants to be a fine artist, he must first become a finer person. A work of art is the expression of a person's whole personality, sensibility, and ability." -Shinichi Suzuki

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • www.something.com
« Reply #349 on: March 08, 2007, 03:32:06 PM »
It's not really I'm giving up, it's more I can't. I don't have fireworks working yet, I need to fetch an activation key somewhere, and my FTP won't work with vista. I'm just saying I probably won't be able to edit the map like I used to. I have a feeling it will come up as a bitmap png and not the layered png I was working with. But we'll see.

Good news edit: I found a serial key/activation code for Fireworks, which was almost too easy, but now Fireworks is mine! All I need is sFTP information for map site. Which will happen in ... a long time :D I guess that's bad news.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:42:12 PM by St Oz »

Offline Xyrael

• The Haradrim Empire - Submit to your new God.
« Reply #350 on: March 08, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »
 :drunks:

drink more, you'll figure it out.
I have become, again and again.

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #351 on: March 08, 2007, 11:04:59 PM »
What is "sFTP information"?
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Parsanali

« Reply #352 on: March 08, 2007, 11:06:35 PM »
So am I getting a yes or a no?

Offline Zimmerwald

• Demon Barber of Taijitu
« Reply #353 on: March 08, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »
Best of luck Oz!  You'll do it!

@Parsanali: you don't actually have to be on the map to RP.  It's just a good thing that people like.  It's not actually necessary.

ProP Spokesperson

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • www.something.com
« Reply #354 on: March 08, 2007, 11:58:52 PM »
What is "sFTP information"?

Don't worry your precious little mind

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2007, 12:07:35 AM »
So vista is incompatable with previous windows systems?  Otherwise why wont your fireworks program work?  I am asking since I am checking out new comps (prolly wont be a yr or so before I buy one) and been looking into the new vista system.

I have a friend who is programs for the fun of it and was going to ask him to see if he knew anything about the sFTP info you were looking for and he has a knack for obtaining electronic information/data/programs easily, and for free.  I inquired so I could give him more info about before asking but, if you dont need any help...nevermind then.
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • www.something.com
« Reply #356 on: March 09, 2007, 07:03:54 AM »
heh that's all really unnecessary Bustos!

« Reply #357 on: March 09, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
@Parsanali: you don't actually have to be on the map to RP.  It's just a good thing that people like.  It's not actually necessary.

You are right, it is not necessary, but unmapped nations are second-class players who cannot play:

• Colonization/expansion threads. Neither create new ones nor join others'.
  • Geography threads. There are threads which require being near nation X to play.

Also if you join a harmless thread and, after 20 posts, suddenly someone makes a geography-related assertion, you can no longer play consistently. Think of war threads.

Offline Zimmerwald

• Demon Barber of Taijitu
« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2007, 03:47:36 AM »
True, he can't expand or really go to war without a place on the map, but your assertion that his RP will be totally geographically deficient without a confirmed map space is wrong headed at best.  First, he's made his request, and knows pretty much were he wants to be, and therefore can be pretty certain of his neighbors.  Second, I get from his tone that he's planning to do some internal RP first before expansions.  Of course, I could easily be wrong on the second point.

ProP Spokesperson

Offline Xyrael

• The Haradrim Empire - Submit to your new God.
« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2007, 04:04:14 AM »
G-C, remember my work with Mike on the Lexicon, the birth of my nation I did via posting... exceeding 30 posts and not having a map spot didn't stop me from continuing my aggression against Ludistonia to the point that several major nations had a vested interest in the war... You can pick a spot on the map which you like (and which you can refer to when Oz labels land) and RP from there until it becomes finalized. It may have to become vague (or you can draw your own map with cities and such then show Oz you're conceived borders) but you don't need land on the map and it surely doesn't mean you're a second class RP'er... (I had the RP mod tell me it was a nice way to join RP)
I have become, again and again.