Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: The arteries of Taijitu run not with blood, but with kittens!

Author Topic: December 2014 Citizen-Delegate Debate  (Read 9269 times)

Offline Gulliver

• Data Dog
  • Citizen
  • Forsooth, do you grok my jive, me hearties?
December 2014 Citizen-Delegate Debate
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:19:18 AM »
There was talk in the nomination thread of letting people ask questions of all the candidates, and then having them answer and so forth in a debate or pseudo-debate. Since we don't have a ton of time before voting starts, have at it candidates and voters.

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
Re: December 2014 Citizen-Delegate Debate
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 04:31:41 AM »
I have a question that I request each candidate answer.

As the Glorious Revolution steams through its third month, Taijitu has shot to over 300 nations. Our RP is both more active and of greater quality, and our social community is thriving and growing. We have one of the largest defender armies in NationStates, are talked about globally on a scale not seen since 2008, and command increasing respect abroad. But one area where the Revolution has been lacking is foreign affairs. We opened an embassy with our revolutionary friends in Lazarus, and are in talks with Equilism and Kvatch, but that's really about it.

As delegate, how will you expand our relations with regions and organizations, and what foreign policies will you pursue? Will you be more of a treaty-signer, or a speak-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick type?
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
  • Contre nous de la tyrannie
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:36:42 AM »
In my opinion, it is impossible to be the latter, as there is no stick for Taijitu to carry. I believe at the point that Taijitu is at and that Nationstates gameplay is at, our delegate must be a treaty signer. Now is the time for Taijitu to make a name for itself in the world. What I mean by this is that we must continue to cultivate our image: not incredibly serious, but a respectable region nonetheless. We must begin to reach out for allies in the world. Taijitu must be valued as an important ally to other regions in order to remain relevant. We must engage in cultural exchanges with other regions as well as military cooperation.

I like to think of Taijitu as one of the only Roleplay region voices in gameplay. We are capable of engaging in both sides of the game, and I think that makes Taijitu one of the best regions in the world. We must embrace this reality to make Taijitu legendary. We will be renowned with our gameplaying allies as a region that is always able to provide support, but we will also be known as a region that has high quality roleplay, which we've done consistently for the past seven years.

I am not going to hide the fact that I am a defender, or that I am a Francoist. If I am elected delegate, I am telling you now that I would engage in an aggressive defender policy in my capacities as delegate, as limited as they may be by the construct of this government. I would be working exclusively with our defender friends and would seek closer relations with defender and non-GP regions.
Today's date is: Today is Jocidi, 5 Cielidor AR 5 - Day 1770 of the Glorious Revolution.

Many trials make manifest
The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.
Many touchstones try the stranger
Many fall, but one remains.

Offline The Church of Satan

• Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
I have a question for all of the candidates as well.

As I'm sure you're aware, diplomacy is tricky. Some regions/organizations would rather ally with a region such as ours simply because they are more powerful than us and they could use that power to leverage us, strong arm us if you will. If you were to identify such regions, how would you handle the situation? Do you feel such alliances are worth the shame of being persuaded by a foreign power because they might offer some form of reassurance or do you feel we are better off without such an oppressive, constricting obligation?

Potential clients should PM/Query/Telegram

Offline McMasterdonia

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
I have a question?
Ur a towel

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
My question for the candidates is, are you going to take joy in being the face of Taijitu with limited influence over the body which you face for?

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
  • Contre nous de la tyrannie
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »

As I'm sure you're aware, diplomacy is tricky. Some regions/organizations would rather ally with a region such as ours simply because they are more powerful than us and they could use that power to leverage us, strong arm us if you will. If you were to identify such regions, how would you handle the situation? Do you feel such alliances are worth the shame of being persuaded by a foreign power because they might offer some form of reassurance or do you feel we are better off without such an oppressive, constricting obligation?

Such an arrangement is unacceptable. Taijitu has always been a free and independent region, and we will, as the founder nation's motto is, bow to no tyrant. We have no need for reassurance because we are not in a position where we are in particular need of aid. I don't see how another region can help us more than we can help ourselves.
Today's date is: Today is Jocidi, 5 Cielidor AR 5 - Day 1770 of the Glorious Revolution.

Many trials make manifest
The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.
Many touchstones try the stranger
Many fall, but one remains.

Offline Kardex

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
Sorry I'm late I just saw this. For Myroria's question, Taijitu should increase our foreign relations by opening embassies and signing nonaggression treaties with friendly regions, but we have to be careful because there are dangerous regions out there that may threaten our democracy. We must carefully research regions before considering opening embassies with them and make sure we come out even or ahead in any treaty we may sign.

Offline Kardex

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »

That is unacceptable, Taijitu is a strong, independent region and will never allow another region to strong arm it. As delegate I would work tirelessly to advance Taijitu's world standing even farther and such an agreement would be counteractive to that goal.

Offline Kardex

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
I have a question?

Nothing would bring me more joy than being Taijitu's delegate.

Offline Eluvatar

• Tech Monkey
  • Citizen
  • O_O
    • Taijitu.org
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:33:43 PM »
I am not going to hide the fact that I am a defender, or that I am a Francoist. If I am elected delegate, I am telling you now that I would engage in an aggressive defender policy in my capacities as delegate, as limited as they may be by the construct of this government. I would be working exclusively with our defender friends and would seek closer relations with defender and non-GP regions.

What about our existing alliance with The North Pacific?

Is there any merit to the notion of also being a bridge between "Independent" regions and Defender regions?

My own questions for the candidates:

What role do you think the Citizen-Delegate has in protecting and promoting Taijitu Worldbuilding? How would you meet it?

How do you envision functioning as the face of the Ecclesia, our government, when you will not always agree with the majority?

I reserve the right to ask more questions, later.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:40:29 PM by Eluvatar »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 11:39:54 PM »
I concur with Eluvatar's question. Despite the quickly-disappearing notion of an "Independent" region, those that do identify as independent - at least from my view - tend to be powerful potential allies - or outright allies, in the case of TNP. Would you make an exception in your hard-line defenderism to grow closer to an "independent" region?
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Kardex

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 12:53:01 AM »
Eluvatar, to answer your question, the Citizen-Delegate has to communicate with other delegates to further diplomatic relations with other regions. I believe that Taijitu should open embassies with as many friendly regions as possible. I also believe that the Citizen-Delegate, along with all other citizens, should be willing to speak his mind and come out for what he believes in even when its against the majority, we live in a democracy which means majority rule but the minority still gets a voice.

Offline The Church of Satan

• Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 01:51:31 AM »
Another question for the candidates. Independent regions sometimes do things that defender regions don't particularly approve of. What approach would you take in regards to maintaining diplomatic relations with independent regions?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:31:41 AM by The Church of Satan »

Potential clients should PM/Query/Telegram

Offline Kardex

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 03:04:25 AM »
Another question for the candidates. Independent regions sometimes that defender regions don't particularly approve of. What approach would you take in regards to maintaining diplomatic relations with independent regions?

As Citizen-Delegate I would want an embassy with any region that, in my opinion, isn't a danger to Taijitu. Of course any treaty or other deal I negotiated would be presented to The Ecclesia for approval.