Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Let us develop the University into a world-class school, and the centerpiece of Taijituan culture!

Author Topic: One day you find ten years have got behind you.  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
One day you find ten years have got behind you.
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:55:48 AM »
August 2, 3341

The ship was a long, chestnut-brown, rounded rectangle. Well, to be precise, it tapered slightly at the front end. At the back, near each vertex, was a 230 meter radius centrifuge mounted upon a vertical axle, made to produce slightly greater gravity than Orestes.

This was the great ship Jupiter, made to find other civilizations. Of course, not all may be peaceful, so hidden weaponry was onboard. Many of the delegates and ambassadors onboard were in hibernation, and had been for ten years. This led to the expression among those that had already been awakened that "One day we found ___ years have got behind us". Even so, those that had been awakened only were so because they asked before the journey to be woken so many years into it. Even after nearly half a millenium with long-term hibernation, and a millenium since it's invention, some Orestesi were still wary of hibernation computers gone mad, or any other accident that may arise. So, some chose to be among those awake from the beginning of the mission to the end - whatever that end may be.

Now the dull red light of Proxima Centauri was shining on them, if that could be called light. To give an idea of the sheer coolness of this star, the scientists onboard told the diplomats that they were less than half the orbit of Orestes is to Daedalus from Proxima, and the ship's outside was hardly 90 degrees above absolute zero.

But the monotony of this day would soon end, and Proxima Centauri would soon be of more value than was once thought.

OOC: I'd like some other race to discover Jupiter. Hence the title suggesting all the diplomats would soon be awakened.
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline ssraistlin

Re: One day you find ten years have got behind you.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 07:21:30 PM »
OOC: Does it land on any planets? My race has no way of discovering spacecrafts other than magical means, which still wouldn't allow them to do anythign but observe it.

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 11:47:11 PM »
Not the ship itself; it's too fragile and unaerodynamic. Shuttles are on board, though.
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline ssraistlin

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 03:20:21 PM »
Not the ship itself; it's too fragile and unaerodynamic. Shuttles are on board, though.

((Ah, alright))

Meanwhile, Miarian advancements/current projects include:

-Enchanters have imbued stones with a magical essence, giving them a mirror-like appearance and relaying anything that is in sight to be viewed by the miarian enchanters, who watch through a small orb-like structure. These magical stones have been projected both onto the surface of their world and into the outer atmosphere, giving them a way of observing anything that comes near the planet.

-Miarian government officials have begun to provide more funding towards the Department of Magical Advancement, benefiting artificers and enchanters of the field.

-Although they see no need of a military at the moment, recruiting efforts have been increased to combat the recent increase of hostile activity from the marine life. Hunting has been allowed and encouraged, and patrols of hunter-gatherers have increased around the borders of the metropolis.

-Recent portals have allowed access to the planet of Neshier. No hostile beings have been detected and small efforts have been made to begin setting up a small colony on the newly discovered planet. Most of the government funding towards the DMA, roughly 60%, has gone towards increased colonization and exploration of this planet which, although uncomfortably cool, has all the necessary conditions to sustain life. Some minerals such as gold, silver and copper have been gleaned from a nearby mine, but none has been transferred back to Keljroth in fears that the water would corrode the metal. Still, exploration teams continue to stockpile the metals in hopes that it will become of use in the future.

Offline Gulliver

• Data Dog
  • Citizen
  • Forsooth, do you grok my jive, me hearties?
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 09:42:27 PM »
OOC: Well, I suppose I can discover it now that the school year is at an end, though I'm not sure your description of Proxima Centauri accurately describes Œnuko.

Offline ssraistlin

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:34:30 AM »
OOC: Well, I suppose I can discover it now that the school year is at an end, though I'm not sure your description of Proxima Centauri accurately describes Œnuko.

Btw, I decided to move the RP to a separate forum, I'm kinda new to this whole RP business, but hopefully I'll get better as time goes by. If you haven't already found the link to the site, go to http://z7.invisionfree.com/galactic_warfare/ and register an account, it will only take a second and i don't need a real email address.

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 01:45:45 AM »
And, if you join the forum, Pragmia, just give me the best RL star equivalent to yours, and I'll sneakily change the location and description.

Offline ssraistlin

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 05:37:09 PM »
Yea, solar systems/stars can be either real or fictional, i'm not exactly sure how i'm going to work out the whole distance thing, or make a map to factor in solar systems that are not real or w/e, but i'll figure something out.

So far this is doing pretty well, hopefully we get more people though, but any help you guys have about RPing or suggestions to make it better would be accepted

Offline ssraistlin

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 10:42:52 PM »

Btw, I decided to move the RP to a separate forum, I'm kinda new to this whole RP business, but hopefully I'll get better as time goes by. If you haven't already found the link to the site, go to http://z7.invisionfree.com/galactic_warfare/ and register an account, it will only take a second and i don't need a real email address.

*cough*