Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: More stylish University uniforms and supplies for our dear students!

Author Topic: Jimmy Carter's controversial trip  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Eientei

Jimmy Carter's controversial trip
« on: April 25, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=4693208&page=1

Knowing this is a touchy subject for some people - what do you think of this?  It should of course be remembered that Jimmy Carter did successfully work out a peace between Israel and Egypt back in the 70's, so if there's any former president qualified to pursue talks in the region, it's him.  On the other hand, there are problems when a former US president talks to people the US considers a terrorist organization.  Does he represent the US or himself as an individual when he conducts negotiations?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:52:49 PM by Eientei »

Re: Jimmy Carter's controversial trip
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 10:41:50 PM »
Clearly, he does not represent the United States. If he did, that would be a strange system of representation. He acts as an individual, but one with the prominence that might indicate an ability to get something done. He doesn't have to respresent us to make progress for/with us.

In fact, it's quite convenient. Of course, we American's don't negotiate with terrorists. But other people not affiliated with us can negotiate as a proxy. Thus we can both remain aloof of diplomatic concessions while, effectively, making them anyway. And also, Carter makes for a convenient scapegoat (if things don't go well), or for a convenient leader (if by a miracle, they do).

Edit: Posted from the wrong account. I don't mean to "..."

Offline Gulliver

• Data Dog
  • Citizen
  • Forsooth, do you grok my jive, me hearties?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:52:56 PM »
No comment.

Offline Space Raider

• Head of the American Mafiya
  • WARNING: When we raid, we are merciless.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »
He's a good negotiator, but.........I DON'T LIKE DEMOCRATS!
We keep our weapons super destructive, but they're never used unless our national security is threatened, our foreign trade blockaded, we are invaded, our planetary colonies invaded, or our capital is nuked.-President of The Most Powerful Nation In The World (TMPNITW), G-Day Rawlings-
:o
If there's a way in, there's a way out. The only circumstance where there's no escape is when you are targeted by ten snipers at the same time.-Mars Military General, Godrin Yawler
:panda:

Offline Corgi

• Citizen
  • My hovercraft is full of eels.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 06:18:06 PM »
I think he has been one of the best ex-presidents we have ever had.
And if you think there can be peace in the middle east without talking to people you don't agree with ...   ???
If you strike a thorn or rose,
Keep a-goin'!
If it hails or if it snows,
Keep a-goin'!
'Taint no use to sit an' whine
When the fish ain't on your line;
Bait your hook an' keep a-tryin'--
Keep a-goin'!

Offline Annex

• Dormant
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 06:28:49 PM »
He's a good negotiator, but.........I DON'T LIKE DEMOCRATS!

(Citation needed)

Offline Of Crazed

• The most Ancient and Noble House of Black
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
Jimmy Carter is one of the few people I tend to agree with when it comes to Israel.
05/04/2008- Never Forget

Offline Eientei

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:30:51 PM »
I agree with Corgi and OC.  Negotiations have been held with national liberation groups with violent, terrorist leanings to achieve peace in other regions, so why not with Hamas?  The trouble with only negotiating with the Palestinian Authority is that they hold tenuous power in their territories, and Gaza is fully within the power of Hamas, which has the confidence of a lot of Palestinians... there's no getting around that.  And as always, we should be pressuring the Israeli government to be open to a solution establishing pre-1967 borders.

Offline Of Crazed

• The most Ancient and Noble House of Black
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 10:41:07 PM »
I'm not sure what the root of the problem is at this point anymore, and I'm not sure if anyone else does.  All I know is part of the problem is Israel always expanding their claim on land, and little by little settle more and more.  Jimmy Carter had the balls to tell Israel that we wont give them the crazy amount of aid we give them unless they stop their shit, and all of a sudden he is "anti jewish".

He may not have the answer, but he is always the only one that seems to be going in the right direction.
05/04/2008- Never Forget

Offline Eientei

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 05:06:45 PM »
No other American president has really seen the reality of the situation, or else they've ignored it so they can remain popular.  God bless him for speaking out without caring about publicity.