Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: The more kittens we post, the faster our region prospers; the less kittens we post, the slower our region prospers.

Author Topic: New government?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Letonna

• Citizen
New government?
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:28:52 AM »
Vote, Voice your opinions, and complain because I didn't add your preferred type of government

Offline Letonna

• Citizen
Re: New government?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:35:27 AM »
Here's an idea that I'm not for or against just yet: what if we were to merge with a smaller active region? We could take our remaining politicians and and mingle.

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »
smaller active region? We're the weakest link, we try to make our government work yet nobody is willing to participate, founders and admins boycott any attempt, and now even the few active citizens, after discussed with them the best course of action, boycott the attempt. Well good luck, I too agree this isn't working, and I gave my input, I ran for delegacy because you wanted so, I asked your help because we didn't achieve what we needed. If you were influenced by those that have been boycotting the activity of this region, all I have to say is, make sure your objective is to turn the region active, not finding an easy "solution" for overthrowing what "they" don't like.

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
  • Contre nous de la tyrannie
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »
That is where you are wrong. We are not the weakest link. We are one of the largest UCRs in the game. We are just painfully stagnant, and I think (and hope) that these events have woken some of the less active citizens. We can pull through this, we just need to energize the current members, make a way to get people invested in the region, and find creative ways to gain new members.
Today's date is: Today is Jocidi, 5 Cielidor AR 5 - Day 1770 of the Glorious Revolution.

Many trials make manifest
The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.
Many touchstones try the stranger
Many fall, but one remains.

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »
with a monarchy?

Offline Letonna

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:35:17 AM »
Delfos you're missing the point. In the end it may not matter if we switch to a new type of "government" or not. In the end it's the choice of the citizens. This isnt an official government issues poll. It's just to see what people may be interested in. Monarchy regions do exist and function well.

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:49:43 AM »
I'm missing the point? I'm voicing my opinion that our inactivity, losing members every day, we're the weakest link against any of our allies, we couldn't even have a functional WA Delegate for the first 2 weeks after election, we still don't have a senate, you think we're something other than weak? I also think that taijitu's nature has nothing to do with a monarchy and I will always be against such system. I'm not saying there's no monarchy regions or that they don't function well. I'm debating ideas, I don't think we're in a position to "merge" and still keep our taijitu as it is, you think you can just agglomerate any region into Taijitu?

All I asked taijituans was to make things easier for participation and make things more active, I'm asking now, do not miss the point.

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:06:39 PM »
I ran for delegacy because you wanted so,

No, we didn't. No one else wanted to run, and you were the only eligible candidate, and so we collectively said, "Fine, if he's the only choice." At no point did we really feel that you would rise us from the dregs of stagnancy, we just needed someone to fill the position. Anyways, what has that got to do with the prospect of a new government type? Boycotting the activity of the region? By not supporting your emergency government, which under close inspection of laws, it has been suggested was illegitimate to begin with? I don't see how that is boycotting our activity.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:49:31 PM by Funkadelia »
Today's date is: Today is Jocidi, 5 Cielidor AR 5 - Day 1770 of the Glorious Revolution.

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »
Sorry but people told me to run for delegate because nobody else would do it, if anything I'd rather run for Senate which I did in first place or not run at all. people did boycott during crisis, people like you, people like others with powers and responsibilities that didn't fulfill their duties. No founder or admin have helped when I constantly asked for. Nothing to do with now which is a brilliant ton of crap attempt to spark activity.

Offline McMasterdonia

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:54:53 AM »
I, for one, thank Delfos for running for Delegate. We were in a terrible situation and he ran on a platform of transforming the government.

Lets not get personal on this matter.

The simple fact is that we need to find ways to maintain activity in Taijitu. I get that the government is considered A OK. However, if we scrap it completely, we will have a lot of activity (in theory) about how to do it all again. Like a rebirth of the region.
Ur a towel

Offline Eluvatar

• Tech Monkey
  • Citizen
  • O_O
    • Taijitu.org
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 02:58:47 AM »
The only way to breathe new life into Taijitu is to involve new people. Revising the constitution wholesale may help with that, but of course such wholesale revision does not require anarchy. Discussing ideas for new constitutions in the Civic Center or Senate Chambers is entirely possible, but recruitment is more important.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 03:04:47 AM »
How many times have we heard that in the 6+ months that I've been here? How many active citizens does that produce? We've had a net negative of active Taijitu users, and it's abundantly clear that recruitment is not the only factor in this.

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
We didn't create the environment for new citizens. We need to find ways to co-relate the NS game with the forums, create procedures that include sending out telegrams or involve people in the RMB. We also need the easiest way for people to become citizens imo. But all that came last term and we didn't even discuss. I hope we do now.

Offline Corgi

• Citizen
  • My hovercraft is full of eels.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »
I admit I tend to be more like Eeyore about things.  The glass is half empty and evaporating ...  but I will  chip in 2 cents.

I think there are several problems facing the region. Some are beyond anyone's ability to influence.

Without looking up actual numbers, I feel like NationStates has had its run.  It no longer has novelty value.  The number of users is either declining or holding steady, and there few new players.

NationStates used to be as much social network as game.  Now it has to rely on its "game" ability. And, frankly, it was never much of a game.

If you are serious about recruiting, I suggest you need to actively promote the base game to new players as well.  Only with a good influx of new NS players are you likely to get new regional players.

I have no idea what the ratio of long term dedicated players to casual players is - but I would guess it is about 1 in 20.
Also, it does not take long to have the feeling of "been there, done that" as far as regional activities go, either.  That makes it even harder to keep a region active. Those regions remain active seem to have pursued a more aggressive game model, such as raiders.  That did not seem to be part of Taijitu's main goals and activities.

Getting a region going is tough enough, getting it going again is a tough slog.  And don't forget the realities.  Forums have moderators - i.e. they have the power and it is not a democracy. There is one founder nation and either you give control of it over to someone who may misuse it (an elected Delegate that is may not part of the inner circle); or one person keeps control of the founder, and again it is not a democracy.  Do not forget the troubles that a certain region had when its delegate went rogue with the founder nation.  That is always a possibility.

I know I pop in every few weeks on the NS and every few months on the regional forums - so feel free to disregard me as a lurker.

I only mean to act as the splash of cold water reality.
If you strike a thorn or rose,
Keep a-goin'!
If it hails or if it snows,
Keep a-goin'!
'Taint no use to sit an' whine
When the fish ain't on your line;
Bait your hook an' keep a-tryin'--
Keep a-goin'!

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 08:48:13 PM »
Personally I feel the same way. I do feel that 1) Taijitu itself is becoming periphery, in fact UCRs as a whole are becoming a periphery to GCRs. It's almost as if the GCRs are the big leagues and the UCRs are an afterthought. 2) There is definitely a reduction in the amount of new people joining. The game is changing, and we'll have to see where it goes. 3) Taijitu is not a thought in anyone's mind, as we do nothing special. Perhaps we should do something spectacular to boost global awareness towards Taijitu.

Realistically, I feel like Taijitu is a lost cause, but I will fight till the last to keep it afloat.