Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Let us develop the University into a world-class school, and the centerpiece of Taijituan culture!

Poll

Do the Allied States get their Jewel Colony?

Yes
8 (66.7%)
No
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: February 23, 2007, 10:34:40 PM

Author Topic: Bustian Colony  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
Bustian Colony
« on: February 16, 2007, 10:34:40 PM »
Securing The Border provides the RP of conquering a neighboring tribe for its silver mines and as my first colony I make it my Jewel Colony.

Silver
Vegetables (carrot, chile pepper, and pumpkin)

The whole RP took about a RL month from start to finish (three-fours years in my RP timeline).  The real reason I wanted this new colony was to have a territorial claim that reached the lake and the other side of the mountains.  I am willing to allow the RP Council approve or deny my colony.  The poll will go for seven days as is the custom.

Naturally, I choose Yes.

I ask, if you choose No, to state a reason why.  I am not going to debate it, just want to learn why so I can do improve. 

One thing to note, Talaman (he offered) was going to RP the tribesmen for me but backed out due to RL issues.  I was thinking of asking another to RP but decided against it.  Of the few active people in this RP, being blunt (dont take it personally), are my reasons for not asking them to RP the tribesmen:

Saint Oz:  Likes to invite the Ozians into every RP he is involved in, which I find annoying
Myroria:  Has something against me, dont know why, or pull an Oz, and invite Hanso and his mercs
Ryzania:  UI connection with Myroria and wasnt sure if he would be influenced by Myroria, wasnt too sure
PUR:  Seemed to have gone inactive
The rest:  Banned Baltija or didnt know all too well to engage in a RP with them

...and the rest is up to you.
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Ryazania

• Resident Hardass
Re: Bustian Colony
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:39:11 PM »
Isn't it more of an expansion than a colony?
Economic Left/Right: 9.65
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.37

Proud Constitutionalist

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Tyrants from Hitler to Mao to Stalin have sought to disarm their own citizens, for the simple reason that unarmed people are easier to control.

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:48:35 PM »
I am allowing the tribesmen to govern their own (once the provisional government becomes THE government and the Colonel can return home) while the leaders support the fatherland.  So it would be a semi-autonomous nation, thus a colony.  Also the RP purpose was to capture their resource of silver.  Since silver would be an addtional rare resource, it would not only need to be a colony but a jewel colony.

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Zimmerwald

• Demon Barber of Taijitu
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 02:06:56 AM »
I see a number of problems with this.

First, according to the resource system, territory contiguous with the main nation is not a colony, but an expansion, and thus does not bring any new resources.  Now, I know the way around that is to propose that you annexed the tribal territory first, and then the area around it, technically making the tribal area a colony, and the second annexation an expansion.  This is a loophole that must be corrected.

Second, a "semi-autonomous nation" is a protectorate, and unless you assert full sovereignty over the area, then it can't be considered annexed, and you shouldn't get access to the resouces.  If you want to claim that it's annexed, but that you let local government proceed, that's fine, but "semi-autonomous nation" doesn't sit well.

Third, the resistance factor's disturbing me.  Are you going to have them acquiesce to Bustian domination, or are they eventually going to fight for national sovereignty?  Remember, you let everybody carry a weapon :-P  If there's no further resistance, that's not going to sit well with me.

Fourth, you and Myroria are starting a land-grabbing spree that I really don't want to see extended to the rest of RP.  Soon the map's going to end up looking like the Lex map where every other nation is a colony.  Not only is it boring, it encourages large-scale war RP, domination, and other bad things that, while they do exist in the real world, form a horrible RP environment, especially for people who are just trying to join in.

Fifth, and this is related to the previous point, where does it end?  Once the land-grabs begin, they won't end unless somebody puts a stop to it IC, and that won't happen because all the strong nations are grabbing land.

Sixth, I'm hurt that you didn't ask me to RP the natives.  Not really, but I thought it would be funny to say.

ProP Spokesperson

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 02:08:14 AM »
Except of course, people go after my expansion and not his.
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Zimmerwald

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 02:14:49 AM »
BTW, just so everyone knows, I'm going to vote against any colonization attempt. :trout:

ProP Spokesperson

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 08:47:36 PM »
G-C your concerns are noted and will keep take them into consideration if I ever colonize again.  I want it all!   O:-)

As I said I do not intend for any debate, however I ask you to cite where the resource system says "territory contiguous with the main nation is not a colony, but an expansion, and thus does not bring any new resource."  As I was not aware that I had set any definition for a colony.

And to answer the questions you asked...
Are you going to have them acquiesce to Bustian domination, or are they eventually going to fight for national sovereignty?
As shown, Hess and BEV Tribes supported me from the beginning.  I used their system of a ruling council that has been accepted by their tribes in terms of a governing structure.  Also I tried to express that the power of the throne comes from control of the silver mines, which the Allied States now has.  Yes everyone is allowed a weapon, but they are swords and spears for now.  Bustians arent gonna start handing out modern weapons before they become educated enough about the modern world and "new" (to them) technologies.  By the time they do so, the Bustian presence as teachers, leaders, bringers of advancements, and protectors would reduce their eagerness to attempt a rebellion they recieve a higher quality of life (Better housing, advanced medicine, increased food supplies, etc).  So I would have them "acquiesce to Bustian domination."
where does it end?
Prolly when there are no unclaimed lands.  Its a reality of any international RP.  Eventually the whole of Taijitu will be claimed by some nation.

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Ryazania

• Resident Hardass
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 09:43:35 PM »
You know, we're actually going to have to develop ways to get to Selene after all the spaces are taken up.
Economic Left/Right: 9.65
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.37

Proud Constitutionalist

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Tyrants from Hitler to Mao to Stalin have sought to disarm their own citizens, for the simple reason that unarmed people are easier to control.

Offline Zimmerwald

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 10:43:37 PM »
I assumed it had carried over from when the resource system was first formulated.

ProP Spokesperson

Offline Feniexia

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 11:34:16 PM »
You know, we're actually going to have to develop ways to get to Selene after all the spaces are taken up.

I thought Space Colonization was (sadly) disallowed? However, Feniexia is spending much of their research money on such, so maybe sometime.... ;)

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »

Not really.  It has been voted for current modern tech only.  Until a RL space program announces they are creating a colony on the moon, Taiitiju is all we got.

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Talmann

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 03:44:48 PM »
I see no problem with this.
He RPed the colony really well, and I think it would be good for Bustos to work in a "low-tech" environment for a while.
Music is the key to the heart.

"Once art to me was something far off, unfathomable and unreachable... But I discovered that the real essence of art was not something high up and far off, it was right inside my ordinary daily self. If a musician wants to be a fine artist, he must first become a finer person. A work of art is the expression of a person's whole personality, sensibility, and ability." -Shinichi Suzuki

Offline Feniexia

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 03:47:43 PM »
Not really.  It has been voted for current modern tech only.  Until a RL space program announces they are creating a colony on the moon, Taiitiju is all we got.

IN that case...do you know that they are planning such already? They´ll (NASA I think....or some russian space agency?) begin in a few years (2012 or such...dunno exact datum).

Offline Simple

• King WAldo IV
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 05:21:03 PM »
i dont think we can keep this forum going for the next 20 years, maybe we could streamline the process-once there is no more available landmass on taijitu, then we can put it to a vote, for now dont sweat it theres plenty to go around.

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »

IN that case...do you know that they are planning such already? They´ll (NASA I think....or some russian space agency?) begin in a few years (2012 or such...dunno exact datum).

Being planned and actually doing so successfully are two different things.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:00:40 PM by Bustos »

Brought to you by Bustos