Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Let this region resound with the song of the Kitten Paw Happy-time, and be permeated with the smell of catnip and pine!

Author Topic: Daily Poll: Favorite Foreign Country  (Read 931 times)

Offline bigbaldben

• The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
Daily Poll: Favorite Foreign Country
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »
VOTE DAMMIT.

Offline The Empire

• Glory to the dark gods!
Re: Daily Poll: Favorite Foreign Country
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »
Of the countries I've visited in any way except for passing through (Norway 2times, Denmark 4 times, Italy once, France 3 times and England once), I really liked England the best, closely followed by North-Eastern France (Paris on the other hand is grossly overrated)

Would like to visit the US, Japan, Canada, Germany and central Italy some time too but I don't Think I would like to live in either of those places.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:17:58 PM by The Empire »

Join the Word Bearer legion and brin glory to the dark gods! Taijitu stalker extraordinaire - no Taijituan presses a key without my knowledge, Resident Cannibal - I prefer females, Resident ginormous dragon - It is not a good idea to mess with a dragon who is packing heavy firepower

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
  • Anyone who's Google's friend is my friend!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
Perhaps a tie between Canada and Switzerland?  I'd rather move to Canada if I had to (I don't speak German or French), but there are different reasons I like both countries.
--
Sincerely,

Former Citizen-Liaison of Taijitu,

Evan C.

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 02:47:26 PM »
The only nations I've visited outside of the US are Sweden, Finland, and Canada. So far Finland is my favorite, though Canada comes up a close second*.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:57:53 PM »
I've only ever been to Canada back when you didn't need a passport for such. Favorite country is Bhutan for their self evaluation techniques and having a Dragon King.

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 05:13:42 PM »
I don't think I can like countries per se, but i like cities.

From all that I have visited, Brussels was the most fun, most cosmopolitan, most like home (not my literal home, but my mindset of home). Florence was so beautiful tho, Italian patrimony is also like home...

The most weird experience I must say it was murica! Not weird bad...I mean, we watch so many movies, series and whatnot that we are already prepared for what America can be...and tbh, anyone, not just americans, think oh it's not like in the movies, but the weird thing is that it is, so what I think is weird is the little things like things related to driving, stranger interaction, interaction with service people. All this culture, it's so foreign, so different from us, society behaves differently, people react differently, there's this sense of following rules (not just legal ones) that is completely opposite to what I'm used to - Like why the hell did you ask for my ID when I'm buying alcohol, ffs I had a fricking beard, I look 30 when I'm actually younger - or how everything's for sale, there's university posters everywhere...there's companies advertising jobs on tv, it's really weird.

If I have to pick a foreign country that I have visited I'll have to ask why. To live, it's most realistic to go to England, I'm comfortable with the language, I've many friends there, I've got family. If I had a high paying job, I'd rather Belgium. If I could work with culture/tourism or even Design, Italy would be a really cool place to be (besides my country of course). Now that I think about, I'd like to live wherever i could work the most in Design: Germany, Sweden, England, France, Japan - maybe in that order.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 08:44:28 PM »
Delfos, what country do you live in?

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:46:07 PM »

Portugal...(Europe)

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 08:51:14 PM »

Portugal...(Europe)

As opposed to Portugal, Africa?

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »

Portugal...(Europe)

As opposed to me, in the US, showing my Passport that clearly states PORTUGAL and EUROPE when I bought some wine and the guy goes "Oh, are you from Brazil?"

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:40:32 PM »
As a New Englander, my favorite foreign country is the rest of the United States.
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 11:19:06 PM »

Portugal...(Europe)

As opposed to me, in the US, showing my Passport that clearly states PORTUGAL and EUROPE when I bought some wine and the guy goes "Oh, are you from Brazil?"

:laugh:  Understood.

At least he got the language right-ish.

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 12:15:11 AM »

Portugal...(Europe)

:laugh:  Understood.

At least he got the language right-ish.
[00:11] <@Delfos> http://portugalresident.com/portugal-could-become-one-of-europe%E2%80%99s-first-countries-to-have-a-transsexual-mp
[00:11] <@someguy> My first thought on reading that title was “but Portugal is in South America” >_>

Offline Orristania

• Citizen-Liaison
  • Feel the Bern
    • Orristania
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 10:30:10 PM »
Canada, Switzerland, Sweden, England, Scotland, and France all sound good.

I voted Sweden, but if I had to move somewhere it would probably be England.

Offline Lindisfarne

• Citizen
  • MTB-girl, music lover, book-worm, ice-cream maniac
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 01:55:44 AM »
Other.

I can't say I have any favourite country. I have very little experience of other countries. I have only been in Denmark, Norway, Germany and Spain. The first three I only visited for shorter periods. I lived in Spain for about a year and a half.
However, I have studied other nations around the world, both in school and on my own (mostly internet) and I find may places very interesting. I am fascinated by Japan, its people and culture as well as its beautiful landscapes. Both the US and Canada are also countries I'd like to explore further, not to mention Australia, which have both the English culture and a mysteriously interesting native culture.
In Europe I need to go to England and France, and perhaps I will be studying at Oxford in the not to distant future, but generally I'd say that i can find myself living anywhere in Europe. I see Europeans as a people with very much in common, especially our culture, and I see only minor differences, formost languages, that separates us. After all, Europe has been unified many times under one empire or another.
In short, i think i might hang my hat pretty much anywhere on this planet. I have to say though, I would not be able to live long under a repressive tyrrany, wich unfortunately would exclude many countries.