Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Citoyen reminder: Failure to participate in Daily Poll may result in being found guilty of enjoyment malcompliance.

Author Topic: Daily Poll: Fake News  (Read 1005 times)

Offline bigbaldben

• The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
Daily Poll: Fake News
« on: August 02, 2015, 01:35:23 PM »
VOTE DAMMIT!

Offline Lindisfarne

• Citizen
  • MTB-girl, music lover, book-worm, ice-cream maniac
Re: Daily Poll: Fake News
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:53:53 PM »
A bit hard to answer, since if I've been fooled, I woudn't know about it... ;)

BTW, I think the example is a bit silly. If you get fooled by something so obvious, I think you may have serious problems with reality. There are more subtle attempts to fool people and we may all have been fooled one time ore another. Not to mention all propaganda lies that we are fed about this planets history...   :2c:

Important issue though! Who can we trust?

Offline Lindisfarne

• Citizen
  • MTB-girl, music lover, book-worm, ice-cream maniac
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:55:55 PM »
(Notice the subtle propaganda for our mining industry!   ;)  )

Offline The Empire

• Glory to the dark gods!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 04:08:07 PM »
Have been fooled a couple of times and then realized it when Reading the comment section XD

Join the Word Bearer legion and brin glory to the dark gods! Taijitu stalker extraordinaire - no Taijituan presses a key without my knowledge, Resident Cannibal - I prefer females, Resident ginormous dragon - It is not a good idea to mess with a dragon who is packing heavy firepower

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:58:57 PM by St Oz »

Offline The Empire

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »
No, but I have been fooled into thinking it was fake news when it was totally real.

EXAMPLE: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/06/02/female-named-hurricanes-kill-more-than-male-because-people-dont-respect-them-study-finds/?Post%20generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

OMFGLOL! That's fucking awesome XD Then let's just give all hurricanes female names and with a bit of luck maybe most sexists may just wipe themselves out...  O:-)

Join the Word Bearer legion and brin glory to the dark gods! Taijitu stalker extraordinaire - no Taijituan presses a key without my knowledge, Resident Cannibal - I prefer females, Resident ginormous dragon - It is not a good idea to mess with a dragon who is packing heavy firepower

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »
Well at a debate there was an april's folls news article that they wanted us to talk about, I was thinking it was weird and made weird questions about it. It was near my city's "Fruit Square", it's a sort of farmer's market, it badly needs WCs and places for the "farmers" to wash their products, we keep asking for it, suddenly some weird thing says they were placing a container (until some other construction was completed) with WCs and whatnot on a place that is still (like...for a year) just some dirt. The news was fake but I questioned: "that is a weird way to solve this problem, but if it's for real, it better open really early like 5am because that's when they need it open", and went on saying how those things were needed badly. For a day I thought maybe there's a chance they had actually placed it, our cityhall is famous for craptastic solutions. Let me fetch the article, to my defence, in the actual newspaper in B&W it looked better.

http://jornaldascaldas.com/JournalNews/Journalnewsdetail.aspx?news=cf40340d-6088-4268-a90e-c943c87210f1&q=contentor

Anyway, there's all sorts of news to fool you one way or another, there are many sources that aren't reliable for all sorts of reasons, many of them political.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 10:08:12 PM »
BTW, I think the example is a bit silly. If you get fooled by something so obvious, I think you may have serious problems with reality.

My mom believed that particular article.  Even after I told her there was no way it was real.  I'm not sure you're far off about "reality," but there are unfortunately large swaths of the population where paranoia is considered a positive.  :(

Offline The Empire

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:54:28 PM »
BTW, I think the example is a bit silly. If you get fooled by something so obvious, I think you may have serious problems with reality.

My mom believed that particular article.  Even after I told her there was no way it was real.  I'm not sure you're far off about "reality," but there are unfortunately large swaths of the population where paranoia is considered a positive.  :(
Well, if Sharia law was effectively implemented anywhere in the US, it wouldn't be called Sharia and it would be lauded as a means to save 'murica's christian legacy by pretty much every republican and conservative....

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »

Well, if Sharia law was effectively implemented anywhere in the US, it wouldn't be called Sharia and it would be lauded as a means to save 'murica's christian legacy by pretty much every republican and conservative....

Agreed. I think many democrats and liberals would be opposed to any laws based so strictly on any one religion. 

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 03:54:47 PM »
Back when Sarah Palin was somewhat relevant there was an article claiming she said something incredibly stupid that almost fooled me, given that a million similar articles were out there that were actually true. XD Wish I could remember what it was!

Offline Red Mones

• Citizen-Initiator
  • Minister of Corruption
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »
Back when Sarah Palin was somewhat relevant there was an article claiming she said something incredibly stupid that almost fooled me, given that a million similar articles were out there that were actually true. XD Wish I could remember what it was!
Was it "I can see Russia from my house."?

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 04:07:41 PM »
Was it "I can see Russia from my house."?

No but it was almost as bad. Something super ignorant and ethnocentric, I think.