Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: More stylish University uniforms and supplies for our dear students!

Author Topic: December 2014 Citizen-Delegate Debate  (Read 9221 times)

Offline Kardex

Re: December 2014 Citizen-Delegate Debate
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
Why should Citizens vote into power those who have the will to power? Do you see the Delegacy as fun? Would you be merely be putting another feather in your hat? Why should I vote for you?

You should vote for those who have the will to power because they want the job and will execute the office more faithfully. The delegacy would be fun but at the same time it isn't about having fun its about helping Taijitu. I wouldn't just be adding another feather I would be dedicated to bettering our region and all the nations inside of it. You should vote for me because I'm open to change and even giving up power if the people of Taijitu will it. I will always listen to the constituency and have their best interest in my mind.

Offline Kardex

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
Why isn't the election up yet?

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 01:54:12 AM »
Voted for Kardex.

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline McMasterdonia

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 02:06:58 PM »
why do you hate white ppl
Ur a towel

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2014, 02:58:55 PM »
Better late than never, I suppose! Here are some answers:

I have a question that I request each candidate answer.

As the Glorious Revolution steams through its third month, Taijitu has shot to over 300 nations. Our RP is both more active and of greater quality, and our social community is thriving and growing. We have one of the largest defender armies in NationStates, are talked about globally on a scale not seen since 2008, and command increasing respect abroad. But one area where the Revolution has been lacking is foreign affairs. We opened an embassy with our revolutionary friends in Lazarus, and are in talks with Equilism and Kvatch, but that's really about it.

As delegate, how will you expand our relations with regions and organizations, and what foreign policies will you pursue? Will you be more of a treaty-signer, or a speak-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick type?

The treaty signing approach is more my style. I see the currently-running World Fair as a great opportunity to log face time with people from all sorts of regions, get our proverbial foot in the door for potential future relations. Though this term was slow-going, if re-elected I want to push for opening more embassies and will research interregional organizations to see if there are any worth joining or at least chatting up.

I have a question for all of the candidates as well.

As I'm sure you're aware, diplomacy is tricky. Some regions/organizations would rather ally with a region such as ours simply because they are more powerful than us and they could use that power to leverage us, strong arm us if you will. If you were to identify such regions, how would you handle the situation? Do you feel such alliances are worth the shame of being persuaded by a foreign power because they might offer some form of reassurance or do you feel we are better off without such an oppressive, constricting obligation?

Taijitu would absolutely not take any shit from larger regions on my watch, nor I expect on that of any candidate. We're not a region of doormats. While I would always strive for polite diplomacy, maintaining cordial relations is not worth selling out our principles. Should someone try to give us a hard time, we'll push right the fuck back.

And for the record, I wouldn't avoid allying with powerful regions out of fear that they may strong arm us UNLESS they have a history of doing so to other regions. If someone has proven a bully in the past, we're better off without them.

What do you think of hats?

How would you separate the hats you use in other regions to the hats you use in Taijitu?

Do you prefer a normal tie or a bow tie?

I very much fancy a good hat.
(click to show/hide)

Bow ties are cool.

Okay the second hat question was a serious one.

How do you intend to separate your positions/responsibilities to your position/responsibilities in Taijitu? How will you manage the wearing of the "Different" hats. It is obvious that not all regions each of you have interests that are aligned with Taijitu.

This is not a concern with me; I maintain neither citizenship nor residency in any other region. All accounts I have created on other regions’ forums over the years have been for Taijitu-related diplomacy.  :tai:

My question for the candidates is, are you going to take joy in being the face of Taijitu with limited influence over the body which you face for?

Absolutely! I love Taijitu and I’m happy as hell to be a part of it, whether or not I have influence and power.

My own questions for the candidates:

What role do you think the Citizen-Delegate has in protecting and promoting Taijitu Worldbuilding? How would you meet it?

How do you envision functioning as the face of the Ecclesia, our government, when you will not always agree with the majority?

The Citizen-Delegate should at least try to participate in all aspects of what makes our region so much fun both to acquire firsthand knowledge of our citizens’ experiences and to build community... and that certainly includes Worldbuilding. I’ve been admittedly lax with my writing as of late so what I’d do is set a personal weekly writing quota. That way I’d be sure to post at least a couple times a week.

As to the second question: easily. I’ll debate like crazy if I really believe in something but if I don’t get my way in the end, it doesn’t much bother me. Taijitu isn’t the type of region I imagine would pass laws I find truly reprehensible as no proposal yet has troubled me.

Another question for the candidates. Independent regions sometimes do things that defender regions don't particularly approve of. What approach would you take in regards to maintaining diplomatic relations with independent regions?

Each situation would have to be taken individually. Mostly I would try to avoid conflict where possible, but if an independent region with whom we have diplomatic ties does something overtly asshole-ish like raid and grief RP regions, we’d have to issue some sort of statement. For particularly egregious actions (like taking part in a Nazi raid), I’d reluctantly support cutting ties and moving against them militarily.

Would you as Delegate campaign for greater power for your office? In what areas would you like to see the Delegate take charge? Could you debate the merits of one of our established laws while not necessarily believing said laws are for the best?

I would campaign for the ability to appoint multiple diplomats. For example, currently OT is operating as Citizen-Diplomat but I have also wanted to send Myroria out in such a capacity. Otherwise, I cannot think of more power the Citizen-Delegate would actually need.

Playing devil’s advocate for a law I don’t personally favor is an easy enough endeavor, though I’m having trouble coming up with a hypothetical situation in which it would behoove me to do so.

Another question for the candidates.

As citizen-delegate, what would be your official opinion with regards to FRA membership? After all, most regions are drawn into the FRA-UIAF conflict whether they like it or not.

This is a question I will have to research as I know almost nothing about either organization. In fact, I could only tell you what one of the two acronyms stands for. My greatest weakness as Citizen-Delegate is my lack of GP knowledge/experience. I may have been in Taijitu for years but that’s one part of NS I never really got into.

Why should Citizens vote into power those who have the will to power? Do you see the Delegacy as fun? Would you be merely be putting another feather in your hat? Why should I vote for you?

The truth is… I’m not really that interested in seeking power. People just keep nominating me for things. I do see the Delegacy as fun, as a great reason to meet people from other regions and form social ties, to help build our regional community.

As to the final question, you should not vote for me; vote for Funkadelia. He’s knowledgeable and awesome.

why do you hate white ppl

Because we're jerks.

Offline Eluvatar

• Tech Monkey
  • Citizen
  • O_O
    • Taijitu.org
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
As citizen-delegate, what would be your official opinion with regards to FRA membership? After all, most regions are drawn into the FRA-UIAF conflict whether they like it or not.

This is a question I will have to research as I know almost nothing about either organization. In fact, I could only tell you what one of the two acronyms stands for. My greatest weakness as Citizen-Delegate is my lack of GP knowledge/experience. I may have been in Taijitu for years but that’s one part of NS I never really got into.

The FRA is the Founderless Regions Alliance, founded shortly before Taijitu as an alliance of then-founderless North Pacific (not to be confused with The North Pacific), Jethnea, and Global Right Alliance. It morphed over time from an alliance for defense of member regions, many of which might be founderless, into a defender organization. Today, founderless regions (besides Game-created ones) are generally discouraged from joining FRA as I understand matters. The FRA Rangers, Rejected Realms Army, Lazarene Liberation Army, and Global Right Alliance Defence Force are among the defender armies affiliated with the FRA.

The UIAF is the United Imperial Armed Forces of The Land of Kings and Emperors, The New Inquisition and Albion: they have a treaty of mutual cooperation with The Black Riders, but do not consider themselves to be raiders: instead they see themselves as imperialist. They have a long standing feud with the FRA, and more recently with the UDL as well. In February 2012 The New Inquisition copied our old maneuver by, after invading belgium and gathering assorted raiderish friends to support them there, ejecting the entire pile of invaders and seizing the Rejected Realms' delegacy for 12 hours. (In this they had the support of the LKE, but neither the UIAF as a formal entity nor Albion as a region existed yet). More recently UIAF figures have expressed hostility to the government of Lazarus, which they view as illegitimate following the expulsion of NES and Griffin (TNI's founder) from Lazarus. Europeia is allied with the regions in question, but is not part of the UIAF, perhaps because it does not consider itself Imperialist.

In the recent operation in Anne Frank, we had both the FRA and the ERN and UIAF working with us, the NPA and  EPSA effectively serving as glue between the two sides. The mutual suspicion between the UIAF and many defenders made this somewhat challenging to organize.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dyr Nasad

• Citizen
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 08:35:17 PM »
The FRA summary is pretty good - one part to change is that founderless regions aren't discouraged from applying, but there just aren't very many founderless candidates for membership.

In addition to hating the FRA and UDL, UIAF doesn't get along with TITO either - which covers the vast majority of defender forces in the game.

And on the last note - plenty of defenders would like to see more ERN/UIAF defending activity. They just choose not to do so.

Offline The Church of Satan

• Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 11:36:17 PM »
Actually Dyr, I think it would be accurate to say that regions are generally discouraged from joining. Especially due to the fact that their region might be made example of (e.g. the UIAF's occupation of Slavia.) Many regions fear the risk that comes with FRA membership.

Potential clients should PM/Query/Telegram

Offline Eluvatar

• Tech Monkey
  • Citizen
  • O_O
    • Taijitu.org
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2014, 06:07:46 AM »
I should note that in posted justifications of the aforementioned invasion of belgium and a more recent invasion of Canada, TNI/LKE/UIAF has made clear that they see alliance with defenders in general or even friendship with them as reasonable grounds for an incursion on their part.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
  • Contre nous de la tyrannie
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2014, 06:10:46 AM »
An incursion on what? I didn't fully understand that.
Today's date is: Today is Jocidi, 5 Cielidor AR 5 - Day 1770 of the Glorious Revolution.

Many trials make manifest
The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.
Many touchstones try the stranger
Many fall, but one remains.

Offline Eluvatar

• Tech Monkey
  • Citizen
  • O_O
    • Taijitu.org
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2014, 06:13:04 AM »
An incursion on what? I didn't fully understand that.
An invasion of the region by UIAF.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2014, 06:17:14 AM »
Wow, I didn't hear of this. That's ludicrous.
Today's date is: Today is Jocidi, 5 Cielidor AR 5 - Day 1770 of the Glorious Revolution.

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2014, 07:52:18 AM »
you didnt?!   all the more reason to stand by my vote!   :-P
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2014, 02:51:51 PM »
you didnt?!   all the more reason to stand by my vote!   :-P
You didn't either.

Offline McMasterdonia

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2014, 10:28:03 AM »
omg NO U
Ur a towel