Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: The counter-revolution will soon be as dead as the Q Society!

Author Topic: The Confederacy of Quoveri  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Quoveri

The Confederacy of Quoveri
« on: September 22, 2007, 04:41:50 PM »

Please note that this thread is currently under construction. Do not post in this thread. More information to be made available soon.

Section One
OOC Policies 

Overview   
I am a pretty easygoing roleplayer. I was never a huge fan of novel-long posts and vocabularies that'd lower your self esteem two words into the post. But with roleplay nations my 'policy' is a bit different. I believe that roleplaying a nation is different than roleplaying a person and requires a much more statistical, thought out approach. Especially contemporary-era nations. This leads me to the point that I will roleplay only with people who are serious to a certain degree. Believe it or not, this usually makes it a whole lot more fun. So if you're nation is the Shouting Mob of Monkey Killing Papayas do not expect me to participate in any of your roleplay.

My Policy on Eras
I only roleplay the contemporary era. I do not roleplay with Alpha Centauri, nor elves, nor dwarves, nor battering rams, nor Luke Skywalker, nor big castles that are used as schools who suspiciously reflect Hogwarts with wand-wielding adolescents.

Sorry.

My Policy on War
Please do not attack my nation without asking for my permission via PM or through a OOC post in my Embassy thread. I know this is snobbish, it's just I'd like to make sure your nation is in the same era, same genre, same etc. Then I'll confirm, and we can chat out how we'll roleplay it. Just jumping into a thread usually turns out badly. I do not roleplay in nuclear wars unless there is some special exception.

My Policy on Stats
I do not use the stats from my actual nation on NS. This is because I just joined and that would limit my potential extraordinarily. I do not expect you to either. My population, description do not at all match that on Quoveri's NS page. But as you can reasonably assume, this does not mean one (IMHO) can make a massive nation with tons of resources and an army the size of...you get the drift. I think that Taijitu has done a great job of controlling such behavior, so props to them.  :clap:

Conclusion
So as stated up in the overview, I will only roleplay with nations that have well listed stats, and that are serious. I'm sorry for the negative introduction - it probably sets an undesired mood for the thread. But I'm serious.
So now that I got all the negative stuff off my chest, I'm gonna give you a fat, juicy description of my nation.
Oh yeah, and me number one policy is have some damn fun.

Section Two
The Geography 

Climate: The climate of Quoveri is relatively temperate, its summers warm but not hot, with its winters shedding snow onto the landscape. Thunderstorms will occasionally visit their wrath upon the coast, but nothing like a hurricane. There has only been one tornado in history to accumulate their, and it lasted 27.9 second, killing only a cat. The ocean's air keeps most of the people healthy, and it rains once every two weeks.

Geography:
The West: The Western Coast is lined by the Knore Mountain Range, a stretch of mountains that runs from north/south, the highest peak being ten thousand feet. Running through the range is a river called the Gunry, which snakes through the valleys and runs northward. It is also known as the Western River. Nestled on the eastern side of these moutains is the capital city, Orville (population of 7.5 million), which slopes slowly upward onto Corone Mt. The Gunry river bends from behind Mt. Corone and scoopes into the city, supplying most of the city with clean water. Keeping the Gunry unpolluted is a huge and relatively successful effort made by the city's population.

The East: The Eastern half of Quoveri is seperated from the West by the Gunry's twin river, the Uster (pronounced Uh-ster). The Uster lies just East of Orville, and on its eastern side its bank is dotted with ancient fishing villages, occupied by the oldest of the Quoverian families. The villages, which are formed on the small hills that line the Uster, are known for their epic, charming beauty. Small, well kept, medieval-era inns host large amounts of tourists each year. To the east of the hills (known as the Notter Hills) lies farmland. From the sky it looks much like a patchwork quilt, with small towns every twenty miles or so, all from centuries ago. The main produce of these farms is corn, grapes (vineyards are a big business, with large, old manors gracing them) , and wheat. In the east lie two twin cities, Humwell and Cistell (pronounced Se-stehl), both financial centers, each holding populations around five million. Humwell lines directly north of Cistell, seperated by the large Lake Bure (32 by 14 miles). Humwell River feeds into Lake Bure, running south, straight through Humwell like a scar. South of Lake Bure is Cistell, which is identically halved by a river, this time being Cistell River, which runs north, all the way from the southern coast. Both cities represent different aspects of the country. Cistell is known for producing Quoveri's greatest artist, while Humwell is the home of Quoveri's stock market, being the financial capital.

The South: The southern region of Quoveri is focused on the coast, which is rocky. A highway runs along the entire thing, providing a constant, epic view of the obviously cold ocean. Along the coast lies Quoveri's biggest city - Port Charle (prounounced Port Char-lei). The city is a large seaport, its center perched a top a large hill,  with large, ancient stone piers jutting out into the sea at the bottom. Its body is on the slopes, old cobblestone streets trailing down to the water. It is represented on many post cards with its national landmark, the Ashton Lighthouse, an incredibly old lighthouse the runs to this day, guiding midnight arrivals into Charle's busy mouth. The population ranks among 8 million. The city is also famous for its delicious cuisine, being mainly seafood such as lobster and clam.

The North: There is not much to say about the north in Quoveri. It is located north of Humwell, with a small but tall mountain range which is occupied by the tallest mountain in the country, the eleven thousand foot Mt. Garvey. The prestigious Garvey Ski Resort is a government business that attracts large numbers of tourists each year. Other than the skiing, it is great mountain climbing, protected as one of the country's national parks (Garvey Park), marked by Garvey Castle, which is just west of the ski resort, a giant medieval castle that was refitted into the nation's classiest hotel. Other than that, the North is coniferous forest which are protected as part of the park, and are to never be settled, a haven for wildlife. Ancient dirt paths run through it for tourists, yet rules prohibit any cars that are not hybrid from driving through it.

Section Three
The Guv'mint! 

Overview:
The Parliament: The Parliament of Quoveri is composed of two representatives for each of the eight boroughs, along with the commissioners of each department. They submit bills that are brought before the Parliament and voted on. Both commissioners and parliamentary representatives are voted on by the people. The Head of Parliament is second to the Chancellor only.

The Chancellor: (Currently Thomas Sotsky) The Chancellor is elected by the people and serves up to three terms of four years. The Chancellor is the heads of state, and his/her decisions are nearly always passed through the Parliament to verify. The Chancellor has the ability to veto a bill passed through Parliament if less than 75 percent of Parliament voted in favor. The Chancellor nominate judges, etc.

The Boroughs:The Confederacy of Quoveri is a confederacy of boroughs. There are a total of eight boroughs - two per direction. Once Quoveri's map position is available, the borough borders will be drawn.

Departments
Commissioners receive double their usual voting power when voting on a bill concerning their Department. For example, the Commissioner of Health would have double the voting power on a health care bill.

The Department of Education
Current Commissioner: Phillip Underfung
The Department of Education is responsible for spending its assigned budget, which tends to be rather large thanks to a vocal, inspiring commissioner and the population's support for the public school system. The currnet project is the passing of a bill that would create a large public library in what is now a government-built parking facility in downtown Orville.

The Department of Transportation
Current Commissioner: Gwen Stock
The Department of Transportation is responsible for the spending of its budget. The current talk of the Transportation Department is a rumor that commissioner Gwen Stock is writing a bill lowering property and shipment taxes significantly on hybrid-car producing factories.

The Department of Architecture
Current Commissioner: Archibald Strang
The Department of Architecture is unique in the sense that it has no budget. It is merely responsible for the maintaining of architectural beauty in the country. It is in charge of the design of every single government funded building.

The Department of Health
Current Commissioner: Samantha Peters
The Department of Education is responsible for spending its assigned budget. It is currently writing a bill proposing a free polio vaccine. Health Care, though not free, is regulated by this department - a controversial decision made by Parliament last spring, under the last commissioner. It is believed that the new one, a member of the party that led the fight against regulation, is more conservative. Already one abortion clinic has been shut down due to "more priority situations in need of funding that would otherwise be spent there" under Peters' lead.

The Department of Agriculture
Current Commissioner: Henry Woespot
The Department of Education is responsible for spending its assigned budget, which has been increasingly small due to Chancellor Sotsky's urban interests. Commissioner Woespot is currently attempting to pass a bill lowering taxes on dairy transportation.

The Department of Commerce
Current Commissioner: Carl Esco
The Department of Education is a unique department in the sense that it, as well as the Department of Architecture, has no budget. It is in charge of trading government-owned resources with other countries and corporations.

The Department of Tourism
Current Commissioner: Walter Royde
The Department of Education is responsible for spending its assigned budget, which is focused on raising the attraction to tourist points such as Garvey Skiing Resort, which is a hugely succesful creation of the department.

The Department of Diplomacy
Current Commissioner: Chancellor Thomas Sotsky
The Department of Diplomacy is the third and final unique department. Lead by the Chancellor himself, it posses no budget and is made up of ambassadors to other countries. It works closely with the Commerce department, refining international relationships.

Section Four
The Culture 
Overview
The culture of Quoveri is rich and refined, constructed over centuries. The people and the land, and most of all, the national identity all combine themselves in a truly awe-inspiring way.

The Performing Arts
Quoverians have always been famous for their interest in drama. The ancient Sweld Theater in Cistill, a giant colosseum of stone painted elaborately from centuries ago,  is merely a representation of the part drama plays in Quoveri's culture. Some of the most world famous actors are Quoverians. Playwrights such as Theodor Astor and Karl Knot  And as for the music - Quoveri's music was always a topic of interest and evolution. Only adequately described as blues and country mixed, the movement has flourished in the past several decades, with a new generation filtering it through hip hop and rock to create a dynamic sound. The original folk music still thrives from father to son, mother to daughter today.

Sports
Sports in Quoveri has been, like many other countries, always focused on soccer. Children can be seen playing in the cobblestone streets, at the local parks, in the riverside villages, and on the coast. The national team is particularly good. By far the second most popular sport is horse racing, with a world-famous track in Humwell. The horse of the Quoverian fields are known for their lightweight, aerodynamic form, and have become some of the most prized.

Architecture
The architecture of Quoveri is a beautiful mix of colonial, medieval, victorian and dutch. Century old farmhouses are a subject of architectural discussion, along with the common cobblestone streets, which have been painfully maintained in a joint effort between the Department of Transportation and the Department of Architecture. The highly celebrated vineyards that dot the east are cherished.  The coastal towns of Quoveri are a fine representation of its colonial architecture, with its lighthouses. Finally, the oldests of its structure, Quoveri's Garvey Castle represents the Quoverian medieval era.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 05:20:37 PM by Quoveri »