Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: The counter-revolution will soon be as dead as the Q Society!

Author Topic: Vivec's belly-magic  (Read 8513 times)

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
Vivec's belly-magic
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:16:12 AM »
They have taken you from the Imperial City's prison, first by carriage and now by boat...

What do you guys think of the game Morrowind, aka the best Elder Scrolls game ever? I could talk about this game all day.
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Letonna

• Citizen
Re: Vivec's belly-magic
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:54:31 AM »
I love Morrowind. I have so many good memories wasting my free time and summer vacations playing the game. I spent most of my time in the game  stealing and clearing out bandit caves and such.

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:56:15 AM »
 :wb:

Offline Letonna

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »
Also, of any game I've played, I think the sound track is the best. It perfectly conveys the mystery and awe of land of Morrowind. It helped submerse me further into this game when I was a kid.

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »
The lore is definitely my favorite part of Morrowind. It's never clear who's telling the truth or what the truth is, and the same event - like Nerevar's murder - has something like four different accounts.

In addition, the in-game lore you can read is anything but traditional fantasy fare. To explain the thread title:

Quote from: 36 Lessons of Vivec, Sermon 14
[...]So Vivec, who had a grain of Ayem's mercy, set about to teach Molag Bal in the ways of belly-magic. They took their spears out and compared them. Vivec bit new words onto the King of Rape's so that it might give more than ruin to the uninitiated. This has since become a forbidden ritual, though people still practice it in secret.

Here is why: The Velothi and demons and monsters that were watching all took out their own spears. There was much biting and the earth became wet. And this was the last laugh of Molag Bal:

'Watch as the earth shall crack, heavy with so much power, that should have been forever unalike!'

Then that stretch of badlands that had been the site of the marriage fragmented and threw fire. And a race that is no more but that was terrible at the time to behold came forth. Born of the biters, that is all they did, and they ran amok across the lands of Veloth and even to the shores of Red Mountain.

But Vivec made of his spear a more terrible thing, from a secret he had bitten off from the King of Rape. And so he sent Molag Bal tumbling into the crack of the biters and swore forever that he would not deem the King beautiful ever again.

Vivec wept as he slew all those around him with his terrible new spear. He named it MUATRA, which is Milk Taker, and even the Chimeri mystics knew his fury. Anyone struck by Vivec at this time turned barren and withered into bone shapes. The path of bones became a sentence for the stars to read, and the heavens have never known children since. Vivec hunted down the biters one by one, and all their progeny, and he killed them all by means of the Nine Apertures, and the wise still hide theirs from Muatra.

I realize now that this explanation makes even less sense than the title.

EDIT: here's another great one. Be warned: this is a little Dan Brown-y.

In the 29th sermon of the 36 Lessons of Vivec, there is a list of each sermon, its title, and a number:

The Scripture of the Numbers:
1. The Dragon Break, or the Tower. 1
2. The Enantiomorph. 68
3. The Invisible Gate, ALMSIVI. 112
4. The Corners of House of Troubles. 242
5. The Corners of the World. 100

This goes on for all 36 lessons. Now, if you find the word that corresponds to each number in each sermon, i.e. the first word in Sermon 1, the 68th in Sermon 2, the 112th in Sermon 3, etc., and string them together into one phrase, you get this:

"He was not born a god. His destiny did not lead him to this crime. He chose this path of his own free will. He stole the godhood and murdered the Hortator. Vivec wrote this."

In addition, the first letter of each paragraph in Sermon 36 spells "FOUL MURDER".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:15:05 PM by Myroria »
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 12:09:58 AM »
Now I don't remember much of it, but when I was young and played Morrowind for the first time I'd spend hours reading the books. I remember trying to collect books, follow studies, there were study books that would relate to each other "this guy said this but I think otherwise".

I was particularly interested in Dwenmer lore and the scholars. Skyrim did shed some light towards that mystery, I remember with fondness when I found that mammoth-like creature on the ice wall of northern Skyrim craved with dwenmer arrows! All those mysterious legends like the Snow Elves appealed greatly to me. I also remember doing a pilgrimage word by word from a book, or spending tons of time with the Ash People and their folklore. My only hope was that this experience was more dynamic, that more things would be available to you or mods/devs could make additional content. I did suggest for TES'O that they add archeology, à la EVE, to uncover dwenmer stuff.

damn... I need to play morrowind again.

Offline McMasterdonia

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
Never played it. Heard it was a poopy game.
Ur a towel

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
  • Contre nous de la tyrannie
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »
Never played it. Heard it was a poopy game.
You're poop.
Today's date is: Today is Jocidi, 5 Cielidor AR 5 - Day 1770 of the Glorious Revolution.

Many trials make manifest
The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.
Many touchstones try the stranger
Many fall, but one remains.

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 01:45:44 AM »
The Hortator wandered through the Mourning Hold, wrestling with the lessons he had learned. They were slippery in his mind. He could not always keep the words straight and knew that this was a danger. He wandered to find Vivec, his lord and master, the glory of the image of Veloth, and found him of all places in the Temple of False Thinking. There, clockwork shears were taking off Vivec's hair. A beggar king had brought his loom and was making of the hair an incomplete map of adulthood and death.

Nerevar said, 'Why are you doing this, milord?'

Vivec said, 'To make room for the fire.'

And the Hortator could see that Vivec was out of sorts, though not because of the impending new power to come. The golden warrior-poet had been exercising his Water Face as well, learned from the dreughs before he was born.

Nerevar said, 'Is this to keep you from the fire?'

Vivec said, 'It is so that I may see with truth. It, and my place here at the altar of Padhome in the house of False Thinking, serve so that I may see beyond my own secrets. The Water Face cannot lie. It comes from the ocean, which is too busy to think, much less lie. Moving water resembles truth by its trembling.'

Nerevar said, 'I am afraid to become slipshod in my thinking.'

Vivec said, 'Reach heaven by violence then.'

So to quiet his mind the Hortator chose from the Fight Racks an axe. He named it and moved on to the first moon.

There, Nerevar was greeted by the Parliament of Craters, who knew him by title and resented his presence, for he was to be a ruling king of earth and this was the lunar realm. They shifted around him in a pattern of entrapment.

'The moon does not recognize crowns or scepters,' they said, 'nor the representatives of kingdoms below, lion or serpent or mathematician. We are the graves of those that have migrated and become ancient countries. We seek no Queens or thrones. Your appearance is decidedly solar, which is to say a library of stolen ideas. We are neither tear nor sorrow. Our revolution succeeded in the manner that is was written. You are the Hortator and unwelcome here.'

And so Nerevar carved at the grave ghosts until he was out of breath and their Parliament could make no new laws.

He said, 'I am not of the slaves that perish.'

Of the members of Parliament only a few survived the Hortator's attack.

A surviving Crater said, 'Appropriation is nothing new. Everything happens of itself. This motif is by no means unassociated with hero myths. You have not acted with the creative impulse; you fall below the weight of destiny. We are graves but not coffins. Know the difference. You have only dug more and supplied no ghosts to reside within. Central to your claim is the predominance of frail events. To be judged by the earth is to sit on a throne of wonder why. Damage us more and you will find naught but the absence of our dead.'

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

WHO KNOWS!

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 02:14:23 AM »
guy fell from the sky and died right in front of me, read the piece of paper on him and flew up in the air to fall to my death.
11/10

Also one time I spent a weekend just reading all the books I could find.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:25:36 AM by St Oz »

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:27:42 AM »
No-h's Picture Book of Wood is one of my personal favorites.

Offline Gulliver

• Data Dog
  • Citizen
  • Forsooth, do you grok my jive, me hearties?
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 08:56:03 PM »
guy fell from the sky and died right in front of me, read the piece of paper on him and flew up in the air to fall to my death.
11/10

Also one time I spent a weekend just reading all the books I could find.

I managed to hit the magically soft water the first time I tried this.

Offline Abashed Princess

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 02:35:45 AM »
They have taken you from the Imperial City's prison, first by carriage and now by boat...

What do you guys think of the game Morrowind, aka the best Elder Scrolls game ever? I could talk about this game all day.
As someone who has been in love with the Elder Scrolls Series since I have been a kid, I love Morrowind! I'm not sure I would agree with you that Morrowind was the greatest Elder Scrolls game, but it certainly had an appeal to it like no other. I've spent countless hours wandering the Ashlands of Morrowind, and I've come to love much about the game. The creative energy in it was endless! I personally found the lore interesting and worth playing through and reading, even though the gameplay had some things to be desired. In terms of gameplay I liked Oblivion, but I'd love to see a Morrowind remade with modern graphics.

Its because of Morrowind that I got into fantasy and writing, so Bethesda has a lot to be rewarded for. Long live the Nerevarine!
About me:
(click to show/hide)
LEGALIZE GREATER SERBIA - IMPEACH TITO - KOSOVO IS THEFT - ALISA 2016

Kosovo je Srbija!
A Serbian monarchy for a glorious past, a Serbian monarchy for a better future. <3
Orthodox Girl
Legalize Weed

Ja bih da je moj zivot bio ljubavna pesma... Ja nedostajes mi sestra, trebao ona sam biti ja i moja krv u Bosni! </3

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »

As someone who has been in love with the Elder Scrolls Series since I have been a kid, I love Morrowind! I'm not sure I would agree with you that Morrowind was the greatest Elder Scrolls game, but it certainly had an appeal to it like no other. I've spent countless hours wandering the Ashlands of Morrowind, and I've come to love much about the game. The creative energy in it was endless! I personally found the lore interesting and worth playing through and reading, even though the gameplay had some things to be desired. In terms of gameplay I liked Oblivion, but I'd love to see a Morrowind remade with modern graphics.

Its because of Morrowind that I got into fantasy and writing, so Bethesda has a lot to be rewarded for. Long live the Nerevarine!
:wb: Anyway just a heads up, there are fanatics here that will destroy you if you keep bringing up "Oblivion" together with "like" or "good" or any similar positive term. Oblivion made me miss Cliff-racers and that's saying much.

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 04:57:26 PM »

:wb: Anyway just a heads up, there are fanatics here that will destroy you if you keep bringing up "Oblivion" together with "like" or "good" or any similar positive term. Oblivion made me miss Cliff-racers and that's saying much.
I'll say that it had some good quests, even some of those tedious mage guild wild goose chase ones, but the gameplay was pretty easy. Let's just say there's a reason acrobatics and hand to hand was taken out of skyrim. You could skip whole dungeons and quests with high acrobatics, and hand to hand + destruction + restoration were really the only things I ever used. I never used any of the weapons in the game, all I needed were mah fists.