Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: More stylish University uniforms and supplies for our dear students!

Author Topic: Favourite Game(Console Or PC)(Paid games)  (Read 13339 times)

Offline bigbaldben

• Voice of the People Editor
  • The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
Re: Favourite Game(Console Or PC)(Paid games)
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 08:48:16 PM »
Recently I played through Limbo and recommend it highly. Visually very simple yet highly atmospheric, it's essentially a puzzle game that takes place in a gloomy and foreboding environment. Some of the theories I've heard about the sparse-yet-elegant story's true setting and meaning are fascinating.

I have read some of those theories as well.  I'm tempted, but every single time I bite on a 2-D side scroller I regret it. 

Currently, I'm playing Battlefield 4 (usually right after work - "I just wanna kill some motherf*ckers on [Playstation]" - ICE T), Rocket League, some baseball game & the Witcher III.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »
btw emoticon goddess, we need a thumbs up icon :D

You can grab this one Allama, if you want. 

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 09:11:44 PM »
btw emoticon goddess, we need a thumbs up icon :D

You can grab this one Allama, if you want. 

Well ain't you just Johnny on-the-spot! Done and done. :thumbsup:

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
Aargh, Limbo is free for Playstation Plus members this month. 

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »
Though I've been getting a lot of free games through Xbox Live Gold lately, I actually paid for Limbo. No regrets! If it's free, you may as well give it a shot. :D

Now I've begun "Life Is Strange". 3 out of the first 4 episodes downloaded/complete, with the 5th and final to be released soon. To be fair, the lip sync is terrible and I always hate relying on autosave checkpoints (I want to save and quit whenever I please thankyouverymuch). Everything else about the game is excellent, though. This is among the most engrossing titles I've picked up in 2015, perhaps topping the list. We'll see how I like Parts 4 & 5 before settling it up there, though.

Being able to rewind time and change your most recent decisions is a fun mechanic, especially in a game that's focused so heavily on telling a story. The actions you take actually matter, as opposed to so many titles that have promised this before yet failed to design the choices in such a way that they make a noticeable impact. Plus the characters feel like actual human beings with realistic, varied emotional responses. I'm nothing if not a sucker for believable, relatable people in games (especially regarding female characters).

Max and Chloe are enjoyable to watch together. I really hope everything works out for the best between them! Oh, and also that their entire town doesn't get destroyed or whatever. :skull:

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »
Though I've been getting a lot of free games through Xbox Live Gold lately, I actually paid for Limbo. No regrets! If it's free, you may as well give it a shot. :D

Now I've begun "Life Is Strange". 3 out of the first 4 episodes downloaded/complete, with the 5th and final to be released soon. To be fair, the lip sync is terrible and I always hate relying on autosave checkpoints (I want to save and quit whenever I please thankyouverymuch). Everything else about the game is excellent, though. This is among the most engrossing titles I've picked up in 2015, perhaps topping the list. We'll see how I like Parts 4 & 5 before settling it up there, though.

(click to show/hide)

Being able to rewind time and change your most recent decisions is a fun mechanic, especially in a game that's focused so heavily on telling a story. The actions you take actually matter, as opposed to so many titles that have promised this before yet failed to design the choices in such a way that they make a noticeable impact. Plus the characters feel like actual human beings with realistic, varied emotional responses. I'm nothing if not a sucker for believable, relatable people in games (especially regarding female characters).
(click to show/hide)

Max and Chloe are enjoyable to watch together. I really hope everything works out for the best between them! Oh, and also that their entire town doesn't get destroyed or whatever. :skull:

Oh that damn game. I love to hate it. The game starts with all the crappiest cliches, IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT, IT WAS ALL A DREAM! SOMETHING BAD IS COMING! Also we find out our protagonist is a hipster with a Polaroid instant film camera (rather than say just a normal mechanical film camera) named MAX CAUFIELD. WHOA! Hold it there edgemeisters! I don't even know this character yet and now you got me thinking this girl is going to do drugs and have copious amounts of sex. Does that happen? No. She shoots a gun I guess. Big whoop. But every other time she bitches out of situations. I thought with a name like Caufield there'd be numerous occasions to break rules, but she s always a damn rule follower, way more than Mr. Rodgers. I was hoping with this new found power, she'd take a picture of herself before a big lottery, then find out the winning numbers, and go back in time to fill in the winning numbers. NO SUCH LUCK! Nothing like that happens. INSTEAD HERE I AM BEING A MYSTERY SOLVING TEEN WITH BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR-MY DAD IS DEAD GIRL. I rest my case.

Episode 4 gets dark and things start to connect and make sense. I had seen the true threat in the first episode but continued on to just find more reasons to complain about it. The puzzles get repetitive, all doing that "oh I gotta do that time thingy to cross from one thing to another, something bad will happen, but just rewind and do it over again."

your actions will have consequences when you water your plant. (I over watered it)

I guess I had -fun- but not because I was enjoying the game, just enjoying the cliches it walked itself into, the bad voice acting/lip-syncing. I thought the french version might be better with some english subtitles, but it was worse. I'll still play episode 5 to get it over with.

Don't misunderstand me, I had tons of fun playing the game, the faults are part of the enjoyment

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »
Oh that damn game. I love to hate it. The game starts with all the crappiest cliches, IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT, IT WAS ALL A DREAM! SOMETHING BAD IS COMING! Also we find out our protagonist is a hipster with a Polaroid instant film camera (rather than say just a normal mechanical film camera) named MAX CAUFIELD. WHOA! Hold it there edgemeisters! I don't even know this character yet and now you got me thinking this girl is going to do drugs and have copious amounts of sex. Does that happen? No. She shoots a gun I guess. Big whoop. But every other time she bitches out of situations. I thought with a name like Caufield there'd be numerous occasions to break rules, but she s always a damn rule follower, way more than Mr. Rodgers. I was hoping with this new found power, she'd take a picture of herself before a big lottery, then find out the winning numbers, and go back in time to fill in the winning numbers. NO SUCH LUCK! Nothing like that happens. INSTEAD HERE I AM BEING A MYSTERY SOLVING TEEN WITH BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR-MY DAD IS DEAD GIRL. I rest my case.

Calling her Max Caulfield is trite as hell, gotta give you that one! When I first saw it I laughed my ass off, rolled my eyes, and thought, "OF COURSE that's her last name." Doesn't bother me for some reason, though. They certainly employ a good deal of cliches, too. I mostly ignore that these days since they're so rarely avoided but I can see how it would spoil the game's appeal for other players.

I like playing someone mild-mannered for once, though. Pretty much every single other protagonist out there is the "I'M SUPER FUCKING AWESOME I WILL DO ALL THE THINGS AND PUNCH ALL THE PEOPLE" type and, while it certainly works best for most games, I want something different sometimes. I can't relate to those characters because I'm neither brave nor aggressive. Hell, I'd rather hide in a closet than get in a fight. Being able to play someone who feels shy, who isn't sure what to do with her power, who's scared of making a fuss... is almost like playing myself + time control. Definitely wouldn't want that very often because (a) it doesn't work for most genres, (b) I have to be my cowardly self all the damn time so I usually prefer a badass protagonist, and (c) it would just get insanely boring. For this one game, though, I very much enjoy the chance to make decisions for a fantasy character the way I would in real life. It's a nice change of pace to play something so casual and relatable.

Episode 4 gets dark and things start to connect and make sense. I had seen the true threat in the first episode but continued on to just find more reasons to complain about it. The puzzles get repetitive, all doing that "oh I gotta do that time thingy to cross from one thing to another, something bad will happen, but just rewind and do it over again."

Haven't played it yet so I've made no judgements here. I do see the repetitiveness issue with the puzzles, though. I was essentially trying to ignore that, lol

your actions will have consequences when you water your plant. (I over watered it)

Haha so did I!

I guess I had -fun- but not because I was enjoying the game, just enjoying the cliches it walked itself into, the bad voice acting/lip-syncing. I thought the french version might be better with some english subtitles, but it was worse. I'll still play episode 5 to get it over with.

Don't misunderstand me, I had tons of fun playing the game, the faults are part of the enjoyment

Glad you enjoyed it despite and/or because of its flaws. ^_^

(click to show/hide)

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 03:26:41 PM »
I'm just hoping the other characters they wrote don't become too one dimensional. It's true, I'm too used to the games where you can do whatever the fuck you want. Max, Chloe, and the guy from the trailer are all written well. They all have wants, desires, suffering, etc., but then you get to the other side characters that are just Rich Asshole, Rich Assholes Friend #1/2/3/4/5/6, that mean girl who turns out to be kinda nice in the end?, police not being police, and brown-nosing principal.

Though spoiler from episode 4

(click to show/hide)

Offline Lindisfarne

• Citizen
  • MTB-girl, music lover, book-worm, ice-cream maniac
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2015, 11:17:19 PM »
I can recommend: The vanishing of Ethan Carter. A detective game by a fairly new Polish team. Great atmosphere.