Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Post a large number of kitten macros and .gifs so that no space on the forum is left bare!

Author Topic: Theme  (Read 20596 times)

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
Theme
« on: July 25, 2016, 03:11:48 AM »
I think that now the dust has settled from the recent kerfluffle we should have an honest discussion about Taijitu's theme.

We currently have a constitutional amendment up for vote that would preserve the Ecclesia and direct democracy; personally, I think this is a good course to take. But is the whole 'French Revolution' thing surrounding all this necessary? Is it stale? Does it remind one of bad memories of discord?

I have no strong feelings other than a general feeling of restlessness. How does everyone else feel?
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Eluvatar

• Tech Monkey
  • Citizen
  • O_O
    • Taijitu.org
Re: Theme
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 03:17:42 AM »
I have no strong feelings on theme.

I've been wondering if we could do something a bit like Republic City and incorporate more east asian symbols and names into our theme. We already use east asian ideas for the regional name and for our official symbols: what else could we do with this?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gulliver

• Data Dog
  • Citizen
  • Forsooth, do you grok my jive, me hearties?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 03:49:58 PM »
I do want to keep the title "Ecclesia", it's quite unique, and the direct, parliamentary democracy I like. As for French Revolution, I have no strong feelings on it one way or the other. I think there are bits here and there which I like but a full blown one might be stale.

Republic City is something which has also interested me in the past.

The harmony and balance the taijitu represents could be a consideration, but that could also be trying a bit to hard to make everything make perfect, matching sense.

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 05:40:56 PM »
I like the idea of the Republic City sort of theme, I've found the Revolutionary theme to be stale since before the kerfuffle. More east asian sorts of things like maybe a tea garden added next to our tavern?

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline Wast

• Citizen
  • Will post an RP once I finish that novel
    • www.wast.biz
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:24:38 PM »

I've been wondering if we could do something a bit like Republic City and incorporate more east asian symbols and names into our theme. We already use east asian ideas for the regional name and for our official symbols: what else could we do with this?

I think this the best direction for developing a new theme - although we don't have to do much more than what already exists. I would be happy with just adding/renaming a section or two in the forum (tea garden, etc. as mentioned). Just enough to feel consistent, not so much that it is overbearing.

What about writing recruitment telegrams in haiku?  :h: :h:

Offline Lindisfarne

• Citizen
  • MTB-girl, music lover, book-worm, ice-cream maniac
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 10:28:40 PM »
I agree with Khem!

I like to keep the Ecclesia though, but I like to do away with the calendar.

As for Republic City, I think something in that direction could be cool. Mixing western and asian in a fair balance might give us a nice Taijituan original culture.

...and the Tea Garden. Definitely The Tea Garden with an old and fancy tea house!

:tai:  Yay!  :tai:  Taijitu FTW!  :tai:  Yay!   :tai:

Offline Eluvatar

• Tech Monkey
  • Citizen
  • O_O
    • Taijitu.org
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 02:26:37 AM »

I think this the best direction for developing a new theme - although we don't have to do much more than what already exists. I would be happy with just adding/renaming a section or two in the forum (tea garden, etc. as mentioned). Just enough to feel consistent, not so much that it is overbearing.

What about writing recruitment telegrams in haiku?  :h: :h:

We could do that, so long as we made use of the spoiler tag to include extra information for those whose curiosity is piqued.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gulliver

• Data Dog
  • Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »
Quote from: Wast
Just enough to feel consistent, not so much that it is overbearing.
This is a good summary of my feelings put into words that I couldn't quite come up with.

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 03:31:30 PM »

me liky

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 07:46:47 PM »
I'd rather not have a theme, but if we were to have one I like Elu's suggestion best. 

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »
It's settled...oh right we're a democracy, let's vote. I move Elu's theme to vote.

Offline Gulliver

• Data Dog
  • Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 07:23:36 PM »
I'm not entirely sure this is something that has to be voted on. Writing what is ultimately a very vague aesthetic question into law strikes even me as overkill.

Offline Wast

• Citizen
  • Will post an RP once I finish that novel
    • www.wast.biz
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 07:51:07 PM »
I agree with Gulliver here. It's just something to keep in mind when designing content for the region.

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 11:38:36 PM »
There is more than law we do here, we empassion hearts, we heal wounds, we move mountains!

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 03:18:01 AM »
We should just have a non-legally binding poll on the topic, provided Wast acts as pollmeister.

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai: