Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Long live the Glorious Revolution!

Author Topic: A Proposal Re: #Taijitu_Tavern  (Read 9441 times)

Offline Prydania

• The King of Sting
  • Ezekiel 25:17
    • Basically a Sports Show
A Proposal Re: #Taijitu_Tavern
« on: November 22, 2015, 08:52:18 AM »
My fellow citizens...

Many of you know me as someone who loves role play and world building. It is the combination of my love for rp and the people who I've grown to know over the years that keeps bringing me back to this region. And it makes me proud to see a region I've been part of for so long develop such a robust and healthy role play and world building tradition.

It is in that spirit that I address you all tonight. I would like to address the Taijitu-aligned  IRC channel #Taijitu_Taverns on the EsperNet server. I would like to quote the room description...

"Taijitu's worldbuilding, art, writing, and tabletop game discussions only channel | Check the userlist. Is Delfos here? RP TALK ONLY"

Now the friendly jab at Citizen Delfos aside, it seems clear that the channel is meant for role play discussion. I have been made aware of some unpleasantness associated with the room in my absence. I was not here, I cannot speak to it nor condemn anyone who was involved.
I only mention it because I feel that incident makes the rehabilitation of the channel and its reputation all the more urgent. The region has a robust rp tradition. The Wiki has a world building guide. We have an entire subforum dedicated to world building and rp planning. It only makes sense to return #Taijitu_Tavern to what it is supposed to be. A Taijitu-aligned IRC channel dedicated to RP planning and discussion.

I move that we, as a body, enact legislation to codify the IRC channel #Taijitu_Tavern to as the region's official RP discussion room on IRC. No offence meant to any other Taijitu citizen, but we role players should have a space to call our own on IRC. To have that Taijitu-aligned room that we can say "this is where we go to engage in Taijitu the way we like." #Taijitu_Tavern already fulfills that need in theory. Just not practice. I propose we rectify that.

My suggestion would be to place the channel under the authority of the Citizen-Liaison, as I feel that Taijitu RP and world building qualify as "cultural" institutions of the region.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:54:02 AM by Prydainia »

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
Re: A Proposal Re: #Taijitu_Tavern
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
I'm not against this idea, since it was made for this purpose.

Offline The Empire

• Glory to the dark gods!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:12:57 AM »
I'm Another old one (who only sticks around for the friends I've made) that agrees with this suggestion.
Especially since there is a general forum IRC channel too.

Join the Word Bearer legion and brin glory to the dark gods! Taijitu stalker extraordinaire - no Taijituan presses a key without my knowledge, Resident Cannibal - I prefer females, Resident ginormous dragon - It is not a good idea to mess with a dragon who is packing heavy firepower

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
I support all of this aside from putting it under a specific officers watch.

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
Maybe instead of officer we just have a "worldbuilder" designation which has a criteria of like at least 5 RP posts, a spot on the map, and a month or so of forum activity?

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »
Maybe instead of officer we just have a "worldbuilder" designation which has a criteria of like at least 5 RP posts, a spot on the map, and a month or so of forum activity?

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
  • Anyone who's Google's friend is my friend!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 03:27:36 PM »
I support all of this aside from putting it under a specific officers watch.
Same.
--
Sincerely,

Former Citizen-Liaison of Taijitu,

Evan C.

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
I like it.  Been guilty of doing it through our general IRC room.
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Prydania

• The King of Sting
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
Much better than my proposal.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:18:54 PM by Prydainia »

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
  • Contre nous de la tyrannie
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 04:28:26 PM »
I disagree with writing IRC channels into law. #taijitu isn't part of Taijitu law and I don't think the tavern should be either. In my view, nothing good has ever come out of government control over channels, especially when there are government appointed people who run the channel. I think it should just be left the way it is, especially since #taijitu has been outside of law for years, and it's been totally fine.
Today's date is: Today is Jocidi, 5 Cielidor AR 5 - Day 1770 of the Glorious Revolution.

Many trials make manifest
The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.
Many touchstones try the stranger
Many fall, but one remains.

Offline Of The US

• Citizen-Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »
Funk, the difference is this channel did not do so well without oversight, that said, this is to make sure it stays RP related, not shit talking related.

I second this
To hold the universe, one must unclench their fist.

Offline Funkadelia

• Citizen
  • Contre nous de la tyrannie
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »
So then does that mean we should legislate #taijitu for the same reason?

I understand the desire for legislative activity to get people posting, but I don't understand what this does to help the region.
Today's date is: Today is Jocidi, 5 Cielidor AR 5 - Day 1770 of the Glorious Revolution.

Many trials make manifest
The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.
Many touchstones try the stranger
Many fall, but one remains.

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
I think if anyone wants to talk shit about everyone else in their own channel they can just start another.

I also see issues with this conflicting with freedom of speech clauses in the BoR. Part of the reason we never codified #taijitu is so that we can regulate speech there without bumping into the Bill of Rights protections.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:50:58 PM by Myroria »
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Prydania

• The King of Sting
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 05:00:41 PM »
So then does that mean we should legislate #taijitu for the same reason?
We don't legislate #Taijitu because what is there to legislate? Its purpose is broad by nature. It's just a place for us to hang out and talk about whatever. It doesn't need oversight.

I also see issues with this conflicting with freedom of speech clauses in the BoR. Part of the reason we never codified #taijitu is so that we can regulate speech there without bumping into the Bill of Rights protections.
If you're worried about this conflicting with freedom of speech then you should already be at odds with the room. Again, I'll quote the channel description.

" Taijitu's worldbuilding, art, writing, and tabletop game discussions only channel | Check the userlist. Is Delfos here? RP TALK ONLY | Quote of the Day: <@Gulliver> What's Arabic for "spoopy" | Please do not share logs | Taijitu worldbuilders/citizens only"

Emphasis is mine. The room is already supposed to restrict conversation to rp/world building talk. All that's being proposed here is to codify the intention.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:04:37 PM by Prydainia »

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »
This room can be created anyway?

I had missed the "put into law" part of this concept.

EDIT:  in that room now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:22:53 PM by Bustos »
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos