Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Let's promote the adoption of the Revolutionary Calendar to advance the scientific timekeeping of the region!

Author Topic: The Megatridimensional Order 1983 Economic Summit - OOC  (Read 7094 times)

Offline bigbaldben

• Voice of the People Editor
  • The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
Re: The Megatridimensional Order 1983 Economic Summit - OOC
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 01:24:04 PM »
I was glad to see someone bail, if only for the variety's sake.  I really liked that you had a strong difference of opinion among your officials.

Now, how to keep your nation involved?  You could try to attend remotely - like teleconference.  Would have been newer tech in the early 80s and as such, not very reliable... maybe the disconnects frustrate your ambassador further, escalating your internal conflict?

Or, my nation could perceive it as an insult (even though we said we wouldn't) and start down the path of strained relations.  If you wanted to go that route, we could write history that Myroria backed the Ascendancy and retcon  (did I use that right? ;D ) my nations internal discussion to add our concern with Myroria so that our conflict doesn't come out of nowhere.

Just spitballing, but no reason any nation that physically withdraws can't continue showing the ramifications and/or diplomatic tapdancing and/or participate via phone and/or secret negotiation (thats another option).

If you let me know what you want to do, I can throw some foreshadowing and setup and also be sure my peeps respond appropriately for the plotline.

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »
I'll think on what I'd like to do and get back to you today!
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
Cool. I hope to give some more particulars on the civil war factions in this thread before EOD.  Then I'll work on the next installment of the Summit and post it within the next few days.   :fro:

Offline Letonna

• Citizen
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 09:30:35 PM »
I will be keeping my delegation there, but I plan to play hardball in the negotiations. Letonna will very likely take advantage of the political upheaval, and use that as leverage to get what it wants.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2015, 10:27:10 PM »
I will be keeping my delegation there, but I plan to play hardball in the negotiations. Letonna will very likely take advantage of the political upheaval, and use that as leverage to get what it wants.

I don't believe we'll be in any shape to stop you, especially as desperate as we are to make this a success -- but we will likely push back a bit, lest we begin a trend of capitulation (we're a little on edge right now ;D ) - so how about you aim high, and we'll make a weak counter that will still be far and away a steal for you guys?

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2015, 10:29:23 PM »
OK, here's some information I wrote up on the Megatrine Civil War.  This will give you a good idea of the factions, what they stand for, and where you might want to (have) align(ed) your own nations.

Appreciate any questions, comments or problematic issues!

http://wiki.taijitu.org/wiki/Megatrine_Civil_War

Offline Letonna

• Citizen
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »
Ok, that's very doable. I'll likely push for a naval base on the coast that will allow for Letonese vessels to dock, provided tax free of course, in exchange for the privilege to sell fuel to Letonese military and economic vessels at a discount price. Also, I will provide you with trade and access to the rich mineral deposits in Nova Letonna(provided at somewhat fair price), and maybe even some political strong arming to get the Myrorians off your back(depending on how Myroria takes his big stick diplomacy).

I said in a rp post that my government used to support the Ascendancy, but we can make a change if enough of a deal can be made. Those are my 'aim high goals' and are of course subject to change depending how other people take their rp's and how the overall plot changes.

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 02:52:52 AM »
Just spitballing here:

During the Civil War, Myroria supported the Ascendency with the understanding that Myroria would have significant influence over any new state that formed (whether or not the Ascendency would renege on this understanding or not is up to you). When the Ascendency lost, the government decided to cut their losses and attempt to make peace with the victors.

With the attack at this conference, though, the Myrorians decide that it's better to hold back and see where it progresses - perhaps giving some help to the Ascendency in the future, though not to the extent it once did. Through gunboat diplomacy, etc., Myroria would encourage "dialogue" and "compromise" that it hopes would end favorably for the Ascendency and, by proxy, itself.
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 03:58:18 AM »
Following the trend...

"Just spitballing here:"

Had a few ideas to add as well as some ideas to add internal depth to my history at the same time (I didn't have a reason for the grandson taking over as opposed to the son, this RP gave me an idea for one):

Pre 1964.  The Bustos Family is ideologically aligned with the Rationalists however there would have been elements in the company that would have found the Ascendancy to be potentially more profitable, trade wise.  So the AS would have traded with all willing factions with no preference.

Post 1964.  Under, then, Chairperson Christopher's (the grandfather) direction, did the AS focus on trade with the Rationalists, using the argument that they were the most likely to win, thus the potential for future and long term business resided with them.  Some members of the Board would have pointed to the Ascendancy's initial success, especially during the Purge of '66, as evidence that the Chairperson had aligned with the losing side.  There was a small but, influential, movement within the company to replace the Chairperson.  When the Rationalist and URDF managed to work together and win by 1969, said Board members and accomplices, were terminated and blacklisted along with certain members of the Bustos Family that were disowned, one of which being his own son.

All of this controversy would have been front page news inside the AS btwn 1964-1969, thus the AS's involvement favoring the Rationalists would have been no secret.  This would allow the Ascendancy to have clear knowledge that the grandfather was working against them.  Hence the assassination attempt on the grandson?

Post 1971.  Trade essentially dropped to a crawl?  Is this when you basically shut yourself off from the rest of us or was it when the civil war first started? or even earlier?

Feel free to comment/adjust/clarify.
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 06:02:33 AM »
We would've supported the URDF and thanks for the info.

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
*snip*
I said in a rp post that my government used to support the Ascendancy, but we can make a change if enough of a deal can be made. Those are my 'aim high goals' and are of course subject to change depending how other people take their rp's and how the overall plot changes.

Ok, I like it.  I'm not sure yet how I'm going to incorporate this into the next segment, but I'll at least head in this direction.

During the Civil War, Myroria supported the Ascendency with the understanding that Myroria would have significant influence over any new state that formed (whether or not the Ascendency would renege on this understanding or not is up to you). When the Ascendency lost, the government decided to cut their losses and attempt to make peace with the victors.

With the attack at this conference, though, the Myrorians decide that it's better to hold back and see where it progresses - perhaps giving some help to the Ascendency in the future, though not to the extent it once did. Through gunboat diplomacy, etc., Myroria would encourage "dialogue" and "compromise" that it hopes would end favorably for the Ascendency and, by proxy, itself.

Great!  I'll head that direction and meet you there.  Right now, just so you know, I'm about 80% sure the Ascendancy is going to lose - but I can't guarantee it, given that I can change my mind 40 times until I put it down on paper/screen.

Had a few ideas to add as well as some ideas to add internal depth to my history at the same time (I didn't have a reason for the grandson taking over as opposed to the son, this RP gave me an idea for one):

Pre 1964.  The Bustos Family is ideologically aligned with the Rationalists however there would have been elements in the company that would have found the Ascendancy to be potentially more profitable, trade wise.  So the AS would have traded with all willing factions with no preference.

Post 1964.  Under, then, Chairperson Christopher's (the grandfather) direction, did the AS focus on trade with the Rationalists, using the argument that they were the most likely to win, thus the potential for future and long term business resided with them.  Some members of the Board would have pointed to the Ascendancy's initial success, especially during the Purge of '66, as evidence that the Chairperson had aligned with the losing side.  There was a small but, influential, movement within the company to replace the Chairperson.  When the Rationalist and URDF managed to work together and win by 1969, said Board members and accomplices, were terminated and blacklisted along with certain members of the Bustos Family that were disowned, one of which being his own son.

All of this controversy would have been front page news inside the AS btwn 1964-1969, thus the AS's involvement favoring the Rationalists would have been no secret.  This would allow the Ascendancy to have clear knowledge that the grandfather was working against them.  Hence the assassination attempt on the grandson?

Perfect.  I've written in the wiki that the Rationalists were funded by an unknown nation, leading to their ultimate victory.  You want to be that nation?

Quote from: Bustos
Post 1971.  Trade essentially dropped to a crawl?  Is this when you basically shut yourself off from the rest of us or was it when the civil war first started? or even earlier?

'66 was when the Ascendancy booted everyone out and cut off all trade.  They had control of the government at that time, and though the other two factions ganged up to take it back, they didn't get around to re-establishing international relations before they were back at each others' throats.

So I would say deterioration of trade from '64-'66, then nothing until this summit.  The Rationalists took back control in '81, but were in cleanup mode until now.

We would've supported the URDF and thanks for the info.

Ok, good to know. I'll mix that in.

I should have the next segment up on Friday, but no need to wait - if you've got another scene to add, go for it!

Offline bigbaldben

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:18:26 PM by bigbaldben »

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 12:45:22 AM »
Quote from:  bigbaldben
Perfect.  I've written in the wiki that the Rationalists were funded by an unknown nation, leading to their ultimate victory.  You want to be that nation?

I was considering being that nation however, to keep in character, AS wouldn't just funnel large amounts of capital into a foreign state without a plan on gaining returns on the investment.  This would also include having a permanent security presence there, prior to your summit.  To protect our interests and to keep your government in power to further safeguard our interests.  Not sure if you'd want that and what you'd offer in return for the investment.

Quote from:  bigbaldben
'66 was when the Ascendancy booted everyone out and cut off all trade.  They had control of the government at that time, and though the other two factions ganged up to take it back, they didn't get around to re-establishing international relations before they were back at each others' throats.

So I would say deterioration of trade from '64-'66, then nothing until this summit.  The Rationalists took back control in '81, but were in cleanup mode until now.

I figured that was probably the case.
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Erno

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »
Just caught up, and would like apologise for missing on previous "response" time, because, basically, "life happened", and I barely had enough time.
Will add own entry by tonight.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 07:49:12 PM »
Just caught up, and would like apologise for missing on previous "response" time, because, basically, "life happened", and I barely had enough time.
Will add own entry by tonight.

Stupid life, always happening when I don't want it to.  Np, I'm aiming for tomorrow sometime to write so you're good!