Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Let us become steel shields that defend the ideals of the Glorious Revolution and Taijituan democracy!

Author Topic: The Golden Republic of Keras  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Aquatoria

• For King and Country
The Golden Republic of Keras
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:13:44 AM »
The Golden Republic of Keras

The Golden Republic of Keras, or the Golden Republic for short is one of the world's largest cities with 10 million people living within the city, and is a sovereign city-state, independent of the major powers of the world. The Golden Republic is a centre of commerce, immigration, culture, art, and finance. The Golden Republic of Keras is divided into seven wards.

Government

The Golden Republic has a unique system of government called e-democracy. Using the internet, it has a direct democratic system. Using the internet every citizen of Keras has a say in the governance of the city, with citizens voting on legislation, authoring legislation, demanding referendums, passing laws and in extreme cases, declaring states of emergency and war called the Consensus. There is a moderating council known as the Civic Council, directly elected representatives from each of the wards.  These six representatives serve the ward and moderate the Consensus. In times of extreme crisis, the Civic Council will suspend democracy and give power to a single official for a term of one year called an Iudekizh, an Ozian word for judge. The Civic Council appoints the Iudekizh from among the populace. After suspending democracy, the Civic Council immediatly resigns, and then exile themselves from Keras itself. Upon the end of that one year the Iudekizh must step down and restore the democracy. However if the crisis continues more then a year, the Consensus may vote to extend the Iudekizh's term one more year and so on. While this system of government may seem to be prone to much abuse, its strength lies in the average citizen and their civic duty. In the two hundred years since the dissolution of the Old Republic and the birth of the Golden Republic, only one Iudekizh Serjo Anar Henri tried to forcibly take power and permanently suspend democracy. When he did not answer to the Consensus, protests broke out across the city. The military remained neutral as the protests grew. Eventually when the situation became dire and the city was going to plundge into chaos, the Honored Garde made its move, and arrested Iudekizh Serjo Anar Henri. He was executed and his family disavowed, executed or exiled. 

Military

The Armed Forces of the Republic are organized into both regulars known as the Republican Self-Defense Forces, the Honored Garde, and the Reserves. The Golden Republic has a conscription system with every male citizen joining the Self-Defense Forces for a service of one year. Upon completing basic and their term of service, the citizen is mustered out to the Reserves. Every citizen that has served in the military is required to keep their equipment in their homes, however recent legislation has called for no ammunition to be on a citizen's property. In the Golden Republic, the military isnt just an armed force but also a public works organisation. The military police act as the civic police as well, the fire brigades protect both the civilian and military buildings, and the corps of engineers maintain both the civic and military infrastructures. The elite regular army force within the Golden Republic is the Garde. The Garde are in reality a special operations corps skilled in ambush, infiltration, and assassination, demoralizing and defeating their enemies through intense, focused guerrilla strikes. In times of war, the Garde serve as the core of the Army. The Republican Self-Defense Navy is the pride of the Republic from as far as the founding of the city. Its Arsenal is considered the finest military harbour in the world. The navy's chief goal is the defense of the city and keeping its waters free for trade. The Aerial Corps is the Kerasan air force and is the youngest of the services. While in war, the Golden Republic alone wouldn't be able to challenge the larger nation-states and empires soldier for soldier, the Golden Republic instead looks to innovation and as a result has become one of the most technologically advanced militaries of the world. 

Culture

The Golden Republic of Keras has a strange culture, a mix between the large amounts of immigrants. While in the modern age, the Golden Republic is a free and open democracy, for most of its history, it was a strategic outpost ruled over by whatever major power was able to conquer it. Keras changed hands between Eluvatar and Ozia over the centuries, making the modern Kerans a blend of many peoples. However once, Myroria ruled over Keras and brought with it their system of governance and was ruled over by a Great House. However once the Myrorians were removed by Ozia, the aristocratic class remained. The Great House tore itself apart and soon smaller Houses took the place of the now-dead Great House. In time, Keras was able to exert its independence and became an aristocratic republic. However the aristocratic families of old have faded in power, at least officially. While many families have been reduced to paupers with tales of past glories, others have evolved with the new age. Where once they used scepters and crowns to hold power, they now use trade, banks, multi-national companies and military service to hold onto what is left of their wealth. While these aristocrats are now just ordinary citizens equal to any other, it is no secret that the citizens of Keras do take pride in their aristocrats. Those from the aristocratic families still have the honorific of Serjo in their names to denote their nobility. The very culture of Keras is built on the notion of personal freedoms. All religions are considered sacred under the consititution and even all share a great park known as the Gardens of the Many Gods, where every major religion and many minor have built temples or sacred places. The Golden Republic has also became a common haven for immigrants to start new lives. In a symbolic gesture to light the way for those looking for a new life, the city built a great lighthouse and bridge across the Gates leading into the harbours. The Lighthouse of Keras and the Grand Bridge are seen internationally as symbols of the Golden Republic, with the Eternal Flame of the Lighthouse used on their coins and flag as the symbol of the city. Many immigrants from Oz, Al Khem, Myroria and all other corners of the world are found within the city and due to that, there is no official language within the city. The Keras harbours are broken into two parts, the Golden Harbour and the Arsenal. The Arsenal is the harbour for the military and only Keran citizens allowed access. The Golden Harbour is the largest of the two and is the commercial harbour. It is considered the busiest port in the world as merchant ships from all corners of the world pass through it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:51:29 PM by Keras »
Article II: The Legislative

4. The Senate shall have the power to remove the Delegate or Vice Delegate from office if they in their opinion have violated the Constitution and laws of Taijitu, broken their oath or failed to fulfill their duties, by a two-thirds majority vote.

"YES WE CAN!" Barack Obama 2007

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
Re: The Golden Republic of Keras
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 06:06:23 AM »
What sort of issues do the people of Keras face? Challenges on the world stage? National identity in pre-cosmopolitan times? What sorts of stories are you looking to write? Aspects of immigrant culture you wish to portray? Excited to be back?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:11:41 AM by al'Khem »

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline Aquatoria

• For King and Country
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 06:32:33 AM »
Oh I am so excited to be back. Its been a very long time. And its good to see everyone again.  The biggest challenge on the world stage is trying to navigate politics to where Keras is not beholden to a major power or to a coalition. Being a city-state Keras will need to use diplomacy and commerce to keep itself independent. Keras internally as being a haven for immigrants does have to deal with issues such as different religions and ideas living together. Politics within other nations will also affect the politics of the Consensus, as there are thousands of immigrants from Al-Kesh, Ozia, Myroria, Eluvatar and the colonies. Not to mention being a direct e-democracy there are protests of every kind almost every week and can be blotted at times. Poverty is also an issue as well. I think a national identity before the founding of the city itself, I was thinking of perhaps the city of Keras being founded by Haradrim heretics fleeing the Empire in ancient days. Like perhaps they worshipped a different form of Melkorism. And as time went on, the heretical Haradrim were joined by people from all over the world until their small colony became a powerful city-state. Hmm, I have a few ideas of stories. One I do want to write at some point will be the transition from the Old Republic under the aristocrats to the Golden Republic.  But I am thinking of doing one about a family coming to Keras to start a new life. I would also like to do one of the actual founding of the city of Keras. I might need some help with the various ethnic groups, their culture and religions however.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:44:24 AM by GCE »

4. The Senate shall have the power to remove the Delegate or Vice Delegate from office if they in their opinion have violated the Constitution and laws of Taijitu, broken their oath or failed to fulfill their duties, by a two-thirds majority vote.

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:17:42 PM »
Seeing a lot of similarities to Singapore, but with more of a liberal democracy. I like it! We don't have enough of those! ;)
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
  • Anyone who's Google's friend is my friend!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »
Love it!  :D
--
Sincerely,

Former Citizen-Liaison of Taijitu,

Evan C.

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:48:52 PM »
Where are you planning to be located on the map?
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Aquatoria

• For King and Country
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 02:53:29 AM »
Thanks guys :) I was thinking of Singapore when I wrote it. A highly successful example of a true city-state. But I did throw in aspects of New York City, San Fransisco, Istanbul and the ancient and medieval Mediterranean city-states. But Singapore is the one that comes to mind when I think of this. Im hoping to be placed inside that main ocean surrounded by Pelagia. Especially if I would like the Haradrim Empire to be the original founders of the city.

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 07:49:21 PM »
When I placed you on the map, I was thinking the history of Keras could be a constant exchange between Eluvatar and St. Oz for the island of Keras. But some time whenever it managed to get neutrality. 

Offline Aquatoria

• For King and Country
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:36 PM »
Thanks Oz this is great. I do like this idea of constant exchanges between the Eluvatarians and the Ozians for Keras. Actually that would even help politics with Eluvatarians and Ozians making up the largest minorities and being opposites along political lines. Perhaps I could borrow some words and terms from the Ozian language so to show the influence that St Oz had once had on Keras
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:26:47 PM by GCE »

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 12:11:56 AM »
if you need any words to use just ask.