Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: If a neighbor is in need of revolutionary rehabilitation, report it to the Citizen-Liaision!

Author Topic: Official Map Thread (Request Thread and Rules)  (Read 55672 times)

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
Re: Official Map Thread (Request Thread and Rules)
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
which spots?

« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2015, 06:53:43 PM »
Okay, time to really get into this.

I would like to get the Islands just south of Imperial Sohek

Offline Orristania

• Citizen-Liaison
  • Feel the Bern
    • Orristania
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
  • Anyone who's Google's friend is my friend!
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »
Due to your absence starting tomorrow, I'll request now!  :D

https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/hfAIGw5ITWCBSuyHID5q

If you'd like to make any changes, I'll be more than happy to discuss.  :)
--
Sincerely,

Former Citizen-Liaison of Taijitu,

Evan C.

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2015, 05:04:37 AM »
derpdate

« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »
Could I have this area

Offline bigbaldben

• Voice of the People Editor
  • The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »
St.Oz - what is the distance represented by the squares on the map?  i.e. one square equals 100 miles or kms or whatevs...

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:54 AM »
St.Oz - what is the distance represented by the squares on the map?  i.e. one square equals 100 miles or kms or whatevs...

So. This is a complicated question to answer, and many other cartographers don't even bother learning about this and simply slap on that "one inch = 225 KM!" bullshit. This might work on very localized maps, but definitely not on fullworld map

A map is a 2d representation of a 3d object, there will never be a perfect map for some one pixel to X km sort of projection. It's just impossible. Unless you want some weird fugly map that bubbles out and such, but those are hardly helpful and distort things as well. You can see here how equidistant maps are incredibly unhelpful

The example I show there, is the visualization of a mercator projection. A line at angle θ travels through the sphere, which is the earth, and then reaches out and touches the paper. I may have positioned the paper out too far now that I think of it, it should be touching the circle, nonetheless, this is what's happening with distortion with a mercator map. It also perfectly explains why you cannot have a mercator map from 0-90 degrees or 0-89 degrees, and why you will often see mercator maps at 0-75 or 0-80.

Where am I getting at with this? The distance between the squares are degrees. Since it's equirectangular, all degrees are spread out the same as others. However the represenation of 15 degrees longitude at say 70 degrees latitude will be different than 15 degrees longitude at 0 degrees latitude.

Imagine your globe, all the lines meet at the top. The gap between them stretch out from where they meet to the maximum at the equator, then condense again at the other pole where they meet. Same concept for a basketball, the lines of a basketball max out at the halfway point, then minimize the gap at the poles.

Taijitu is equivalent to earth, well, not really.

This is where it gets really complicated. The earth isn't a perfect sphere, NASA has some complicated ellipsoid model of the earth, but since things are so complicated enough, I just use the simple spherical model of the earth.

The best way to knowing the distances, is seeing where this target piece of land is on the map, finding it's latitude position on the map, then comparing it with other earth countries or pieces of land on that same latitude. I also suggest downloading http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/gprojector/ gprojector, a program that lets you overlay the earth over images, such as say... taijitu. Save the taijitu image and load it up. It will help you see relative distances with it meshed up.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:43:36 AM by St Oz »

Offline Daneluttia

« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2015, 07:12:31 AM »
Hi there!

I was wondering if I could make a claim on the map as I am trying to formulate some information for the beginning of a factbook.  I was wondering if I could be placed on those two islands between Funkadelia and Osmarim. Our people are kind of an island people, roughly based on Polynesians with a bit of European thrown is for fun.  Should they not fit there, I'm pretty open to any tropical locale be it islands or continental.  The concept is able to be changed if needed.  If I am jumping the gun here, please let me know.  I don't want to step on toes or upset the order in which things are done here.

Offline Feniquyar

« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2015, 07:48:17 PM »
I would like to make a claim on the map if that is okay. Specifically a plot of land to the south west of the main landmass, specifically the section with the large island and some of the land on the opposing coast. (9 squares down, 15 from the left. Since in the factbook it says part of Feniquyar is an island I feel this block would be ideal. Thank you very much.

Offline obruxo1997

« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
Hi, I'd like for my state to be placed on the map, preferably by the sea and by the equator. Thanks.

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2015, 06:39:03 AM »
omg where's that hack-fraud Oz and why isn't he updating

Because I'm still in the process of moving, it might be a couple of weeks before I get to your map requests.

Sorry if this inconveniences anyone's worldbuilding, I promise it's not that much longer before I can regularly add people again.

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »
I want to make the following claim for when you return.

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline Prydania

• The King of Sting
  • Ezekiel 25:17
    • Basically a Sports Show
« Reply #178 on: November 12, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »
NEVER MIND SEE BELOW
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:35:13 AM by Prydainia »

Offline Prydania

• The King of Sting
  • Ezekiel 25:17
    • Basically a Sports Show
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2015, 01:35:40 AM »
*boom*
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:00:59 AM by Prydainia »