Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: More stylish University uniforms and supplies for our dear students!

Author Topic: The Megatridimensional Order International Economic Summit (1983)  (Read 8766 times)

Offline bigbaldben

• Voice of the People Editor
  • The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
Re: The Megatridimensional Order International Economic Summit (1983)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
"Find. That. Fucking. Bitch."  Silvercrone practically broke the caps off his teeth, snarling into the phone.  He slammed down the receiver.  He dropped his head back against the chair and closed his eyes.  Breathing deeply, he looked around the darkened room and shook his head.  The space the Frostoria had given him to work was, of course, nothing if not comfortable.  But he longed to be in his own office at Tabula Rasa to deal with this crisis.

There was a knock at the door and Silvercrone beckoned his visitor to enter.  It was D'lia.  He suddenly remembered staring her down after she suggested he not jump to conclusions.  She was doing her job yesterday he reminded himself.

"Please, come in D'lia.  Oh..." he stood from his chair and turned on the lamp behind him and pointed at the light switch D'lia was next to.  "Would you mind...?"

D'lia nodded and flipped the light switch, then walked across the room to Silvercrone's desk.

"Have a seat," he said, a little stiffly.  D'lia sat, a little stiffly as well, he noticed. 

D'lia began "Sir, I wanted to apol...."  Silvercrone put up his palm.

"No," he said, "don't apologize.  I know you were doing your job and your opinions are what I pay you for."  D'lia seemed a little surprised, then smiled slightly - that smirk that drove him crazy.  His wife, rest her soul, had a similar habit of ever-so-slightly jutting her chin out when she was angry, and had the same lustful effect on him.  His current lust was short-lived.

"I was going to say," D'lia continued, "that I wanted to apologize for not getting here sooner.  I've been answering questions from the press and state governors."

"Oh," Silvercrone said, glad that he did not have the complexion that loaned itself to reddening from embarrassment.  "Er, that's fine. No worries."  Idiot.

"Still no sign of Amaxia?"

"No, I was just on the phone with MPsych.  They will find her, and for her sake I hope they don't bring her back alive."

D'lia shifted in her chair.  "I had my differences with her, but I never once had a thought that she might be a traitor.  Did the MPsych shed any more light on it?"

"Not much.  Dammit, we shouldn't have assumed her ties to the Ascendancy were severed completely.  If I find that she played a major role in this ... disaster, I'll be crucified, and I'll deserve it."

"So far, the story has not gotten to the press.  No one asked me a thing about her."  There was a pause, and Silvercrone stood up and walked over to the bar.  "Drink?" he asked.

"No, sir, thank you."

He tossed a couple of ice cubes in a glass and poured himself a double scotch. "How is Rhand doing?"

"He's been tirelessly bouncing between all of the delegates rooms.  It's actually pretty impressive.  Thafter trained him well, and ... I thought he was too taciturn for the job, but with the responsibility now on his shoulders, he's taken charge.  And Thafter's staff has not missed a beat."

"Good." Silvercrone threw back the scotch and poured another. He put the bottle down next to the glass, put his hands on the bar and bowed his head.  He was experiencing a type of tiredness that he had never felt - complete and endless.  Even during the early years of the War, when he was fighting for his life for days at a time, he knew there was always an end coming - death or victory.  But now he was in charge of a nearly two hundred year old nation that was limping along on crutches, and one of them had just been kicked out.  How to go on?

"Sir...?"  D'lia brought him back to the present and he turned to see that Rhand Drenton had entered the room.  His face was stern, with a focus that Silvercrone had not seen from the thirty year old former Assistant Ambassador.  Silvercrone motioned them both over to the table and brought his drink.  When they were seated, Silvercrone dove right in.

"What news?"

"Myroria is pulling out.  They are in the process of leaving."

"Well, that's not surprising, but disappointing to be sure.  At the very least, we can be fairly confident that they were not part of the Ascendancy attack."

"Right," agreed Drenton.  "No one would show up to a conference they know is going to be attacked, not even for show.  On the positive side, they seemed genuinely sorry to be going, and Gilas Quarrovth did not even attempt to hide his disdain for the decision and whoever made it."

Silvercrone sighed.  "Well, not so bad.  When are they leaving?"

"Soon.  The Order Guard retrieved their effects from the Minax, but they had to delay leaving for the airport - the Guard is still securing the route."

"F-u-u-u-u-u-c-k!!!"  Silvercrone shot out of his chair, flipping it on the floor behind him, and threw his glass at the desk across the room. He raised his hands above his head.  "The route was supposed to be secure already!!!"  He took a deep breath and picked up his chair.  He sat and glanced at Drenton and D'lia.  "Sorry," he said quietly.  "Waste of good scotch."  Drenton and D'lia both smiled, but their concern was apparent.  Ok, Octavius, you punk, your people need you to lead, so fucking lead.

"Drenton, you and I will bid the Myrorians farewell as soon as they are cleared.  And I want you to ride to the airport with them.  Make sure they are as comfortable as is possible, and do your damndest to ensure they know they are leaving with our blessing.  Has anyone else made a decision?"

"Still no word from the Ozians or Dalarians.  I put my head in a couple of times, but they waved me off."

"What about Al'Khem?"

"Same.  They've asked a few questions, but haven't given any indication..."

"They never do.  I would hate to play poker with them."

"Yes sir.  The only read I could get is that they seem a little unsure of whether we're actually in charge."

"We've held power for two and a half years..."  He stopped himself.  "No matter, can't blame them.  Hopefully our military response will help convince them.  Well, the AS and Letonna responses were the best we could have hoped for.  If we weren't sure about the AS as allies before,  I think we know now.  The Ascendancy kicked the hornet's nest there."

Silvercrone tapped his fingers.  "Ok," he said to Drenton, see if you can't hurry things along for the Myrorians and come get me as soon as they're ready to go."

"Right."  Drenton got up and left the room, passing General Switzak on the way.

"General, come in.  What news?"  The General removed his hat and stepped across the room.  He was a large man, though clearly his more active days were behind him.  His blonde combover and bushy blonde mustache, combined with his natural ruddy complexion made Silvercrone think of the Durlothic fairy tale about the holiday thief.

"Sir," said the General, "the mission was a success."

"Already?!" Silvercrone said. Silvercrone and D'lia both jumped from their chairs.

"In just over 24 hours?" D'lia looked incredulous.

"Yes," said the General.  "As you know, MPsych and the Order Guard have had the Ascendancy leadership under close watch, and in spite of the scrambling they've been doing the past few weeks, we were able to capture all of them."

"All of them?  What does that even mean?" said D'lia.

"Ma'am, all known officers of the Ascendancy are under arrest or dead."

Silvercrone and D'lia said nothing.

The General paused, then straightened and continued.  "Although the mission was a success, it was not perfect.  There were some....unfortunate outcomes."

"Continue," Silvercrone waved his hand impatiently.

"Our spies who had infiltrated the Ascendancy were found dead in South Mordant."

"All of them?"

"Yes sir.  They were left for us to ... find.  Their bodies were together in an abandoned Ascendancy camp and there were clear signs of torture."

"Amaxia Ghent," D'lia muttered through clenched teeth.

"Also," said the General, "there were civilian casualties.  It appeared that many of the South Mordant locals were Ascendancy sympathizers and took up arms when we raided the Ascendancy camps."

"How many?"

"Approximately 1500 sir."

"Fucking fuck."

"Yes sir." 

Silvercrone put his hands on the table and bent over, rocking back and forth between his toes and heels.  He spoke quietly, which always unnerved D'lia.

"So our spies were betrayed and killed and some of the citizenry in South Mordant were so adamant that they gave their lives to defend the Ascendancy.  And yet, inexplicably, with our spies dead and civilians hiding them, we were able to capture all high level officers in little more than 24 hours?"  He raised his head and stared at the General.

"Sir?  I don't..."

"D'lia?"

D'lia shook her head.  "Something isn't right."

"No.  No it's not.  General, my MPsych background is screaming that we've been played.  Keep the military out in full force.  I want South Mordant torn apart until we've looked under every stone and brick, found any of bastard or bitch that even remotely smells like the Ascendancy and confident that they have no more knowledge left to give."

The General saluted, turned and marched out of the room, his jaw set.  He had miscalculated, not giving Silvercrone credit enough to not take the easy win.  Luckily for him, he and the his men had been given a green light to eradicate the Ascendancy.  And that is what he intended to do.

---------------

"Sir," said Drenton, "The Myroria delegation is leaving."  Silvercrone straightened his suit and followed Drenton and one of his aides.  The Ambassador talked quickly.  "Letonna wants to confirm that the Summit will continue tomorrow morning."

"Tell them absolutely, and thank them for their patience.  Make sure they are comfortable, whatever that means to them."  The aide rushed off.

Silvercrone and Drenton made it down to the main floor just as Gilas and his entourage were walking past.  Silvercrone fell in line.

"Again, I want to offer my apologies, Gilas, for this horrible incident.  Please relay to your Majesty our regret and also our assurances that the prudent decision to pull your delegation will have no impact on what we hope are fruitful future relationships."  They passed the Order Guard holding back a sea of media and into the Myroria limo.  Order Guards were everywhere.

As the Prime Minister watched the limo pull away from the curb with Drenton inside, doing as much as he could, the Allied States of Bustos limo pulled in. Finally, thought Silvercrone, some good timing.

The Order Guard opened the door and assisted the Bustos Spec Ops in getting Duke Alonso into a wheelchair.  Silvercrone stepped forward and grasped the Dukes hand with both of his.  He did not smile, nor say a word, but it was clear the Duke understood the sentiment.  They both nodded and moved inside the Frostoria.

"Sir," said Silvercrone, "are you feeling up to facing the press?"

The Duke smiled as if he had just sat down to a four course meal.  "The question, good Prime Minister, is 'are they feeling up to facing ME.'" 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:30:44 AM by bigbaldben »

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »

A political cartoon found in The Valorium Chronicle.
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »
On doctor's orders, the Chairperson had to remain off his right foot while it healed.  In addition to his bodyguards, he is followed by a nurse, who doubles as a physical therapist.  His mobility for the time being is limited to a wheelchair but, this is no ordinary wheelchair.  Motorized with wheels that look like it could handle off road terrain, the fabrics and cushions are plush, an encrypted satellite phone and a transponder is built in and contains a hidden compartment for his personal sidearm.

The Chairperson stopped to answer questions by the press awaiting in the lobby with Prime Minister Silvercrone.  His schedule allowed for 30 minutes of questions and answers.  His bodyguards, no longer dressed in black suits, were outfitted in military gear of the Allied States Military.  They ensured a 10 foot distance from the standing press and the sitting Chairperson.

As the session went on, he was slightly irritated when the reporters were trying to bait him to say his support of the current government is due to seeking revenge on his would-be assassins.  He had addressed the same question in its various forms with a simple “No,” before seeking a new reporter.  In between questions and answers, there was a fourth attempt, he figured a better answer might satisfy them.

“I do not seek revenge on my would be assassins as my bodyguards along with the Order Guard eliminated them.  They came, they failed, and they are welcomed to try again.  Maybe they'll get a hand or my other foot this time.”  He raised a hand and his left foot, respectively, and then gave a small laugh and smiled.  He pointed to another reporter and continued the Q&A session until the time allotted ran out.  That seemed to have done the trick.

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 01:25:14 AM »
The Megatridimensional Order International Economic Summit (1983)
Keynote Address, June 19, 1938
Octavius Silvercrone, Prime Minister

SILVERCRONE:  “Ladies and gentlemen… Thank you… Ladies and…”

{APPLAUSE CONTINUES}

SILVERCRONE: “Please… Thank you…”

{SILVERCRONE RAISES HIS HANDS; CALLING FOR QUIET}

SILVERCRONE: “Thank you.  I…. thank you so very much for your kindness and solidarity.  This summit ….  This summit was to be the dawning of a new day in our nation.  It was supposed to be a coming out party – proof that our internal situation has solidified.  That we were in complete control, and ready to re-enter the international community.”

{PAUSES}

SILVERCRONE: “But the events two days ago turned this Summit into a nightmare.  One action – one show of violence by petulant, twisted LOSERS of our Civil War, and everything we have been building the past few years was suddenly in danger of being completely wasted.  Friends, I will tell you with no exaggeration, I did not expect a single delegation – not a single person – would stay.  You would have been justified and correct in saying “Get your shit together before you invite us here again.”

{SILENCE}

SILVERCRONE: “And this nation, our nation, would likely fall back into war, with our government losing the faith of the people, and making us a target once again.”

{SILVERCRONE PAUSES; BOTH HANDS STRETCHED OUT ON THE PODIUM; WITH HIS EYES CAST DOWNWARDS.  THEN HE LIFTS HIS HEAD}

SILVERCRONE: “But then something happened.  You did not leave us.  You stayed, and you said “brothers and sisters, we will stand against these people terrorizing your nation.”  And those that did choose to leave for their own safety, understandably so, still stood with us in spirit.  There was no animosity.  And Duke Valerio Alosiso, the First, of the Bustos, Governor of Valorium, Chairperson of the Allied States of Bustos, where are you, Duke?”
{SPOTLIGHT MOVES TO THE DUKE, WHO IS RAISING HIS HAND TO THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE}

SILVERCRONE {APPLAUDING}: “Yes! Our friend the Duke.”

{WAITS FOR APPLAUSE TO DIE DOWN}

SILVERCRONE: “Thank you Duke, for standing in solidarity with us. This man, ladies and gentlemen, refused to give in to our enemies – his enemies – and allow them to stop the march of progress that we all work so hard to continue…in each of our countries.  And his wounds were not even the most grevious of his injuries.  He lost two bodyguards and friends, staff members – family – murdered in cold blood.  Yet he stands with us, even now!”

{ANOTHER ROUND OF EXTENDED APPLAUSE.  SILVERCRONE SIPS FROM A GLASS OF WATER AND RETURNS IT UNDER THE PODIUM}

SILVERCRONE: “When I saw how many of you, including the good Duke, were standing fast – continuing this conference whether from here or from afar, I had a revelation.  Some will cite this incident as proof that our internal situation has not solidified.  Some will say that we are not in complete control.  And undoubtedly, some will say that the Republic of Megatridimensional Order is not ready to re-enter the international community.”

“But suddenly, that does not matter anymore.  EVEN IF THEY ARE RIGHT, it no longer matters.  Because now, the Republic of Megatridimensional Order has something it has not had for quite some time…
We have friends.”

{APPLAUSE}

SILVERCRONE: “WE HAVE FRIENDS!  YOU ARE OUR FRIENDS! {SURGING APPLAUSE} And that makes all the difference!"

{STANDING OVATION AND APPLAUSE}

SILVERCRONE: “Thank you.  Please be seated.  Thank you!”

SILVERCRONE: “That is great for our nation, and we want to show you that it is great for your nations as well.  Tonight, each delegation here and abroad, will receive a standard Free Trade Agreement.  There is nothing special about the terms – agreement for our counties to strengthen each other by eliminating import taxes.  Pretty standard.”

SILVERCRONE:  “But there is one thing that is not so standard.  You see, one of the things we pride ourselves on, for decades now, has been our Republic’s emphasis on technology, especially usable technology.”

{HOLDS UP A MICROCHIP}

SILVERCRONE: “I’m sure you all know what this is -- well, if you could see it for those folks in the back – This is a microchip.  Most of you have this technology.  However, we have found a way to increase speeds up to five times faster than the best microchip.  This is Digital Megaprocessor Microchip Technology, or DMMT.  It can compute a multiply operation in 200 nanoseconds, and it can execute instructions from both on-chip ROM and off-chip RAM.  I’m going to stop there because I am no salesman, and there are more technology related words in that sentence than I have said in my entire life combined.”

{LAUGHTER}

SILVERCRONE: “Look, you are all bright people.  You know that a free trade agreement is a becoming a de facto economic baseline; an easy way to increase the standing and economy of two nations.  A true win-win.  But we wanted to do more.  So we’re offering the technological specifications for the DMMT, as well as our laboratory testing numbers, to any of you for use in your countries and industries.  Further, we are waiving all intellectual property rights and all claims to compensation from the DMMT, including after this agreement is dissolved.”

{MURMERS IN THE CROWD}

SILVERCRONE:  “Whether it advances your technological base five years or twenty five years, it will benefit your nations and ours.  We believe this is a big deal, but we believe the importance of a free trade economy with the major players of Taijitu is even more important.”

SILVERCRONE: “Please read the agreement, talk with your constituents and leadership.  We are open to negotiation and are passionate about establishing agreements with all of you.”

SILVERCRONE: “Regardless of what you choose to do, thank you, sincerely, for your friendship in these difficult times.  We will do our best to repay you for your kindness should you ever need an ally.  Thank you for coming. Thank you for staying.  And thank you for considering our offer.”

{STANDING OVATION; APPLAUSE}

--------------------------------------

Drenton sent his aides out on to the conference floor, one for each delegation, and presented them with the standard agreement.  The aides explained that once the delegation decided whether to sign, negotiate or “not agree,” the aides would relay the information – including whatever signing ceremony or photo ops they wanted to do.  Whatever the answer, the conference was unofficially over, and the delegations were free to go as they wished.  But The Order would provide lodging, food and drink for the duration of the decision making or negotiating process.

-----------------------------------------

“Well,” said Silvercrone when D’lia and Drenton collapsed into the chairs in Silvercrones makeshift office.  Silvercrone and D’lia had scotch, and even Drenton had a bottle of beer.  The smoke from their cigarettes wafted in the air above their heads.  “How do you think it went?”

“It couldn’t have gone better,” said Drenton.  “The applause, the standing ovations – I think you really impressed them.”

Silvercrone grinned and put his feet up on the table.  D’lia could not help but smile.

“What?” said Drenton.

“Trust me, it will come with experience,” D’lia said, still smiling.  “But diplomats, even in our backwoods, politically messed up country we had for a couple of decades, are all well versed in the art of – being diplomatic.”

“You mean they were faking?” asked Drenton.  D’lia laughed again.

“No, I wouldn’t say that.”

“No, but diplomats and ambassadors make the best poker players,” Silvercrone said.

Drenton took a drag on his smoke.  “So then all that stuff you were saying about ‘friends...?’”

Silvercrone downed his scotch and shook his head.  “No, that was real, and I think you know from our conversations that we really are grateful to these countries for sticking with us – hearing us out – even after the Ascendancy attacked.  Perhaps I laid it on a little thick, but that’s the point.  Anything less would have seemed insincere.”

“I’ll be interested to see the international coverage of your speech,” said Drenton.

“Me too, but, hell, if we GET international coverage, then maybe this won’t have been a complete disaster after all.“ Silvercrone poured another scotch and held it up as a toast. “We’re back in the world now.  Let’s try to stay there this time.”
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:25:27 PM by bigbaldben »

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
Agreement Between
The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
and
The Allied States of Bustos
on the Establishment of Free Trade

The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order and The Megacorporation of the Allied States of Bustos (hereafter, “partner party”), in order to:

Strengthen the bonds of friendship and economic relations and cooperation between them;

Establish clear and mutually advantageous rules governing their trade;

Promote their mutual interest through trade between their nations; with a view towards raising living standards and promoting economic growth, investment opportunities, development, prosperity, employment and the optimal use of resources in their territories;

Raise the capacity and international competitiveness of their goods and services;

Agree as follows:

1.  Each Party will eliminate import taxes on originating goods of the other Party.

2.  A Party may not introduce a new tax on imports or a new quantitative restriction on imports in trade between the Parties.

3.  Each Party will accord to nationals of the other Party treatment no less favorable than it accords to its own nationals with regard to the protection and enjoyment of all intellectual property rights and any benefits derived therefrom.

4.  The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order, within 45 days of this agreement, will release documentation, including design specifications and laboratory trials, of the Digital Megaprocessor Microchip Technology (DMMT) to the partner party for use in both parties’ current and future goods and services. 

a. The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order waives all intellectual property rights and all claims to compensation from the DMMT as used in goods and services created or originated in the national boundaries of the partner party in perpetuity, including after this agreement is dissolved.

b. The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order retains all intellectual property rights and all claims to compensation from the use of the DMMT in goods and services created or originated in the national boundaries of nations with whom the Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order has no existing free trade agreement.

5.  The partner party agrees not to sell, give, trade or leave unprotected the design specifications or any other documented or verbal instructions on the DMMT.

6.  Each Party will implement fully the obligations of this agreement within six months from the date of signature.

7. Nothing in this Agreement will be construed:

a.  to require any Party to furnish or allow access to any information the disclosure of which it determines to be contrary to its essential security interests;

b.  to prevent any Party from taking any actions that it considers necessary for the protection of its essential security interests:

i.  relating to the traffic in arms, ammunition and implements of war and to such traffic and transactions in other goods, materials, services and technology undertaken directly or indirectly for the purpose of supplying a military or other security establishment,

ii.  taken in time of war or other emergency in international relations

8.   The Parties will make every attempt to arrive at a mutually agreeable resolution:

a.  whenever a dispute arises concerning the interpretation of this Agreement;

b.  whenever a Party considers that the other Party has failed to carry out its obligations under this Agreement; or

c.   whenever a Party considers that measures taken by the other Party severely distort the balance of trade benefits accorded by this Agreement, or substantially undermine fundamental objectives of this Agreement.
If Parties cannot come to a mutually agreeable resolution, parties will agree to abide by the ruling of a third party moderator from another Taijitu nation within thirty (30) days of date dispute was initiated and communicated from the aggrieved party to the other party.  If parties cannot agree on a third party moderator, this agreement will expire forty-five (45) days from date dispute was initiated and communicated from the aggrieved party to the other party.

9.  Either Party may terminate this Agreement by written notification to the other Party.   This Agreement will expire three (3) months after the date of such notification.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned, being duly authorized by their respective governments, have signed this agreement in the City of Nirvana, Cetacea, Republic of Megatridimensional Order on the date of XXXXXXX.

The Prime Minister's speech was broadcast live in the Allied Stares on both the Bustian News Network and the Allied Media channels.  The Valorium Chronicle put the speech on the front page of the following day's paper.  The show of support from the Prime Minister boosted the Allied States Stock Market when it reopened, regaining lost points and more since the assassination attempt.  Many companies announced plans to bring their goods and services to the Republic of Megatridimensional Order once the trade agreement was signed.

As per tradition, by courtesy of the Chairperson, the Board voted on the treaty.  Unanimous in favor.  Free trade and a gift of technology?  The Board would have approved on the promise of free trade alone.  After the lawyers tripled checked the treaty, the Chairperson, happily, signed the agreement.  He only waited for the Prime Minister's signature before sharing a Peace Blunt with him to conclude the summit.

_______

“A free trade agreement, an advance in technology, and the potential of billions of golds in revenue; all at the cost of the deaths of over 1500 people and a permanent limp.”  That's how his grandfather put it.  The Regent certainly was satisfied with the outcome and the cost. 

For a moment, the Chairperson felt like a pawn on his grandfather's chess board.  Such a cold statement.

The Regent noticed his grandson's face.  The young Chairperson was upset at his remark.  “Don't misunderstand me.  You must always see the good in the bad and remember... No risks...”

“...no profits,” cutting off his grandfather.  The Chairperson for the first time felt a slight numbing of his grief for Babushka.  He wasn't sure if the trade agreement gave him some comfort or if the end, indeed, justifies the means.  When he heads back home, the team of investigators and the patrolling fleet will return with him.  In those few days of the summit, the Chairperson learned, it ain't easy being the Duke.

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 02:10:20 PM »
The summer day in Pelagis was much more mild than the day in Nirvana, a fact which Gilas was silently thankful for despite his wish to be back in the equatorial climate negotiating. He wandered the halls outside the rotunda of the Council of Great Houses, worrying about his future in the Foreign Office. Minister Morvene did not take well to failure - even if it was due to circumstances entirely beyond someone's control. The mission was to sign a treaty, and to do anything less was as bad as spilling coffee on the document itself.

He leaned against a wall. To his right was the door to the Council cafeteria, closed until suppertime.

"Your secretary told me I would find you stumbling around here," Sarandas said from down the hall. Gilas pushed himself off the wall and faced the Chamberlain. He had a few pieces of paper in his hands. "It's two in the afternoon, what, are you already drinking?"

Gilas pursed his lips.

"What do you want?"

"Your plane for the Order leaves tonight. You have a place at a hotel known only to the employees there and two members of Section 6, who will be accompanying you. For security."

"I'm going back?"

"Well, it wasn't my choice to waste Treasury money on this nonsense. But Her Majesty insisted."

"She vouched for me?"

"Not exactly."

Gilas nodded. "It was the PM's speech."

Sarandas scoffed. "It was the Bustians."

"What?"

"Following that whole debacle with the Ascendency, the Bustians stand to be the only ones profiting once everyone else turns that treaty down. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned it from the beginning, myself, but - "

"The queen doesn't want a state with economic ties to no one but the Bustians." Gilas said, nodding.

"Something like that," Sarandas replied. "She told me she would rather see a state with no ties to anyone than a Bustian monopoly, and since that's not happening, two leashes is the next best thing."

Gilas paused.

"The Letonnans still haven't declared. Or the Khem."

"The Khem won't let their intentions be known until the end, but we can't count on them breaking a Bustian monopoly." Sarandas said, gesturing with his free hand. "And if the Letonnans sign, even better. Those goods will flow over our border like a river."

Gilas smirked. "Will this pass the Council?"

"With the Quarrovth majority," Sarandas said, "It might as well already have." Gilas nodded again.

"Is that the treaty in your hands?" he asked. Sarandas nodded and handed it over. Gilas skimmed it before smiling.

"I'll have to read it from the plane."

"You'd better get to the airport," Sarandas said, looking at his watch.

Agreement Between
The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
and
The All-House Union of Myroria
on the Establishment of Free Trade

The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order and the Council of Great Houses and the duly-elected Sedera of the All-House Union of Myroria (hereafter, “partner party”), in order to:

Strengthen the bonds of friendship and economic relations and cooperation between them;

Establish clear and mutually advantageous rules governing their trade;

Promote their mutual interest through trade between their nations; with a view towards raising living standards and promoting economic growth, investment opportunities, development, prosperity, employment and the optimal use of resources in their territories;

Raise the capacity and international competitiveness of their goods and services;

Agree as follows:

1.  Each Party will eliminate import taxes on originating goods of the other Party.

2.  A Party may not introduce a new tax on imports or a new quantitative restriction on imports in trade between the Parties.

3.  Each Party will accord to nationals of the other Party treatment no less favorable than it accords to its own nationals with regard to the protection and enjoyment of all intellectual property rights and any benefits derived therefrom.

4.  The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order, within 45 days of this agreement, will release documentation, including design specifications and laboratory trials, of the Digital Megaprocessor Microchip Technology (DMMT) to the partner party for use in both parties’ current and future goods and services. 

a. The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order waives all intellectual property rights and all claims to compensation from the DMMT as used in goods and services created or originated in the national boundaries of the partner party in perpetuity, including after this agreement is dissolved.

b. The Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order retains all intellectual property rights and all claims to compensation from the use of the DMMT in goods and services created or originated in the national boundaries of nations with whom the Government of the Republic of Megatridimensional Order has no existing free trade agreement.

5.  The partner party agrees not to sell, give, trade or leave unprotected the design specifications or any other documented or verbal instructions on the DMMT.

6.  Each Party will implement fully the obligations of this agreement within six months from the date of signature.
7. Nothing in this Agreement will be construed:

a.  to require any Party to furnish or allow access to any information the disclosure of which it determines to be contrary to its essential security interests;

b.  to prevent any Party from taking any actions that it considers necessary for the protection of its essential security interests:

i.  relating to the traffic in arms, ammunition and implements of war and to such traffic and transactions in other goods, materials, services and technology undertaken directly or indirectly for the purpose of supplying a military or other security establishment,

ii.  taken in time of war or other emergency in international relations

8.   The Parties will make every attempt to arrive at a mutually agreeable resolution:

a.  whenever a dispute arises concerning the interpretation of this Agreement;

b.  whenever a Party considers that the other Party has failed to carry out its obligations under this Agreement; or

c.   whenever a Party considers that measures taken by the other Party severely distort the balance of trade benefits accorded by this Agreement, or substantially undermine fundamental objectives of this Agreement.
If Parties cannot come to a mutually agreeable resolution, parties will agree to abide by the ruling of a third party moderator from another Taijitu nation within thirty (30) days of date dispute was initiated and communicated from the aggrieved party to the other party.  If parties cannot agree on a third party moderator, this agreement will expire forty-five (45) days from date dispute was initiated and communicated from the aggrieved party to the other party.

9.  Either Party may terminate this Agreement by written notification to the other Party.   This Agreement will expire three (3) months after the date of such notification.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned, being duly authorized by their respective governments, have signed this agreement in the City of Nirvana, Cetacea, Republic of Megatridimensional Order on the date of June 25, 1983.

ՖՌԵԴՌԻԿԱ I ՔՒԱՌՌՕՎՏՀ, ՍԵԴ․ 24 ՖԵՆՍԻ 1983, ՊԵԼԱԳԻՍ
FREDRIKA I QUARROVTH, SED. JUNE 24, 1983, PELAGIS

ԳԻԼԱՍ ՔՒԱՌՌՕՎՏՀ, 25 ՖԵՆՍԻ 1983, նիռվանա
GILAS QUARROVTH, JUNE 25, 1983, NIRVANA

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:12:03 PM by Myroria »
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »
It was not as much celebration as it was relief.  Silvercrone, D’lia and Denton sat at a table near the head of the ballroom that was slowly emptying at this late hour.  Government staffers and officials  chatting and feasting at nearby tables, trying to relax and look on the bright side of the past eleven days.  Only the Frostoria staff continued to work, but willingly, as the tips they had received during the Summit had been a true windfall.  Delegates and government officials were especially sensitive and generous, given that many on the staff were close friends with those caught up in the “Frostoria Massacre”, as the press was calling it.

The Ozians were the last to leave, spending a day longer than anyone else.  Denton believed the extra time was strictly for the free food, booze and comfortable lodging.  The rumor was endorsed when the Ozians opted not to sign, citing that they did not sign free trade agreements as a matter of principle.

“So why did they come?” asked Denton.

“A sign of goodwill," said Silvercrone. "Don’t forget, that was a lot of what this summit was about – reintegrating Megatridimensional Order into the international community.  In that regard, I think we have succeeded.”

“And the trade agreements that were accepted is just icing on the cake,” said D’lia.

The Allied States of Bustos signed, which was no surprise given the shooting and the Duke’s reaction to it.  Myroria followed suit, if only to keep Bustos from being the only Northern Pelagean nation with the advanced tech.

Denton shifted his weight nervously and then lit up a cigarette.  “Thafter was really concerned about the Khem.  Even though they didn’t sign, I think he’d be pleased.”

“Yes,” Silvercrone agreed, “it was a tremendous show of respect for the Khem to share their reasons for declining.  In fact, they actually gave us the most insight of any nation that did not sign.  I like to think that’s due to Braise’s efforts.”

D’lia and Denton nodded somberly.  Denton scratched his chin.  “Do you think then that it was disrespectful of the Letonna and Dalari delegations to leave without an answer either way?”

“Nah,” said Silvercrone.  He poured himself another glass of wine. “Based on what we’ve learned here, I think it’s cultural with the Dalari – if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.   With Letonna, I suspect officially answering either yes OR no would have generated a tremendous amount of paperwork and meetings upon meetings upon meetings.   Our deal would have had to be phenomenally good or embarrassingly offensive to get Letonna to overcome the bureaucratic pain of saying yes or no.”

The three were quiet for a moment, exhausted and drained.  The idea of spending the night with D’lia flashed through his mind again, but he quickly dismissed it.  It wouldn’t be right to make such a bold move when they were both exhausted and tired.

“Any word from South Mordant?” asked Silvercrone.

“Nothing new, no,” said D’lia.  “But the General seems determined to end the Ascendancy once and for all.”

“We’ll see,”  Silvercrone sighed.  He stood and the other two followed suit.  “Well, friends,” he said, “I am headed for Tabula Rasa.  I will see you both when you return.”

“You’re going tonight?” asked Denton.  “It’s nearly 2:30 AM.”

“I won’t sleep well until I get into my own bed.  And besides, I’m much too eager to gauge the news from around the world now that we’re part of it again.  Safe travels.”

“And to you,” said D’lia as she and Denton watched him go.

“Are you sleeping alone tonight,” D’lia asked Denton.  He grinned shyly.

“Apparently not,” he said, and they hurried off to his room.