Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Play forum games in an offensive way, like those of the anti-junta resistance!

Author Topic: Love and the Aftermath (1999 - ??)  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Elara

Love and the Aftermath (1999 - ??)
« on: December 05, 2014, 08:05:09 AM »
“Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”
― Khalil Gibran

A crisp autumn breeze blew on the evening air in Kor’Valla, the cosmopolitan metropolis of northern Elara, which was securely nestled in the heart of the great northern piney forests. The sounds of the city only seemed to grow louder as the sun sank down; golden rays retreating and making way for the glittering lights of the city.

The Maiden’s Harp, a lavishly decorated Hotel with a history older than some nations, was especially busy this evening. The hotel was hosting an overly extravagant banquet where quite a few lower nobles from the seven Great Houses and the business elite of Elara had gathered for the annual Golden Harvest Charity Event.

Merren glided along through the crowd taking a glass of champagne off the tray of a passing waiter who lowered his head and respectfully avoided locking eyes with the noble lady. She breathed a sigh of relief, finally getting away from the watchful gaze of guards who, while actively roaming around outside like roused hornets, were seemingly no-where in sight inside the massive Hotel, save for the entrances and exits. No, this was a welcome escape and something Merren had come to look forward to every year…though, not for the champagne, the cause, or the endless procession of mewling nobles eager to make an impression. The truth was she was eager for this night to end, eager to get to what, or rather who awaited her in her suite.

“You look absolutely miserable.” The tall, dapper man whispered in Merren’s ear as he eased around from behind her, quickly stealing her before anyone else walked up.

“Just in time to save me, as usual, Jarek.” Merren beamed her first smile of the evening, brushing her golden hair back.

“Always and I always will. I see you wore the white…it’s my favorite on you.”

“Why do you think I wore it?…But, just on me?”

“Gods I’ve missed you…”

“Really, Lord Ulterr? That’s fantastic news about the mines!” Merren quickly interrupted Jarek as an elderly gray haired man approaches from behind him. The curmudgeon yet another in the throng of smug attendees seeking Merren’s attention…

“Ah, um…yes, we are doing quite well this year…but, I don’t want to hog your time, your Majesty…Hopefully I’ll see you soon!” Jarek bowed deeply to Merren and turned to walk away as she gave him an unmistakable ‘don’t leave me with the sharks’ glare.

Her mind drifted away seeing Jarek melt away into the crowd, pretending to barely know her. It hurt, like it always did. Like a knife through her heart and she could feel her throat tighten with grief as she struggled to swallow. The dissonant sounds of sweet music being played by the classical band, the gruff voice of the elderly noble, and the crowd at large was soon drowned out by flashing memories of glass breaking, the voice of her husband yelling, the sounds of her children crying in the background.

“Empress?... Did I say something wrong? Ar-are you alright?” The short, plump old man asked, his face painted with a worried expression.

“Pardon?”

“You’re…ehm…you’re crying, majesty.”

“Am I?” Merren quickly brushed away the small tears streaming down her face and feigned a smile. “It’s nothing, my lord…Um…simply this event…the children that we’re helping. Get’s to me...”

“Ah, quite right!”

The night seemed to drag on without end as the cacophony of music and conversation gave way to speech. An older woman of common birth approached an elaborately decorated podium in the center of the large stage which sat at the back of the room. She seemed out of place here with her disheveled clothing and frazzled hair clashing with the surrounding opulence. As she began to speak Merren looked around the room, struggling to listen to the plight of poor starving children while noble lords and ladies stuffed their faces with rich delicacies and champagne. Musing at the lack of sincerity in the room only caused her to realize her own…and she didn’t quite like it. She didn’t care to listen to this while she dealt with her own inner struggles.

A couple of agonizing hours later and Jarek waited impatiently behind the large oaken doors of the suite. He ran his fingers through his dark auburn hair and greedily eyed the door. Guests could be heard streaming out as the door opened and Merren quickly escaped inside.

“There you are! I was beginning to think that woman had taken you off to save the masses in some Eluvataran monstrosity that they call a car…” He moaned in a slightly annoyed, yet excited tone as he grabbed Merren tightly. Brushing back her long hair, his lips quickly began tracing their way up neck.

“Mmm and miss seeing you?…” Stealing a quick kiss as his lips finally found their way to hers, she broke away opening the blinds a crack to see the couples leaving below. They were laughing. They were happy and that happiness could last more than just the occasional hidden evening. Again her eyes filled with tears, tokens of the pain she had been feeling for so long.  “I can’t do this anymore, Jarek.”

“Oh Merren…” The smile of anticipation quickly faded from his face as he walked up slowly behind her, wrapping his arms around her in warm embrace, her head sinking against his chest. “If only –“

“If only my life were my own.” She interrupted fighting back the pain. “Gods, what I would give to have their freedom.”

“You have freedom, Merren and you’ll always have me…It’s not perfect, but it’s the only way we can be together, my love.”

“I have freedom? Not the freedom to be with the one I love. No, my parents took that away when they promised me to someone I didn’t even know. My real life is in the shadows…in the flittering moments that come so slowly and then pass away so quickly.” She turns to him as she speaks, tucking her arms in and lying against his chest. “And just how long do you think I’ll have you before they find us? What do you think they’ll do to us? What about my children?”

“Shhh…” Jarek could feel his heart racing…a strange mix of emotions flooded him at this very moment and the thought of losing her seemed as unthinkable as losing one’s own heart. “Gods…please don’t do this Merren.” His mind raced trying to find the words to save the one thing he cared about more than anything else in this seemingly twisted world. Damn it, think of the words, you’re losing her!

“Just give me one last night to remember…” Her hands reached up, brushing the straps off of her shoulders, the flowing white dress sliding down her porcelain skin to the marble floor below.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:27:27 PM by Elara »