Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Let this region resound with the song of the Kitten Paw Happy-time, and be permeated with the smell of catnip and pine!

Author Topic: Cefnor Conference (1982-???)  (Read 5540 times)

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
Re: Cefnor Conference (1982-???)
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 12:28:32 AM »
Having being one of the last representatives to arrive, Helen Meagher La Lime, simply went to seat.  While the Allied States isn't exactly on the Basin, eyes and ears in this meeting is a must.  She began reviewing her notes on countries where we have emerging and untapped markets, all the while keeping her ears open to the talks and whispers around her.  Seek their needs and offer the supply.

She took off her reading glasses as the speaker began.

Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline Zimmerwald

• Demon Barber of Taijitu
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »
Moments after Kno'tai had been giving his documents, Ely had produced a pencil and a long, narrow spiral flip-pad. Doubtless the conversation is being recorded, both electronically and by some unseen stenographer, but Ely knows he's expected to report as soon as possible, and doesn't want to risk delays by requesting a transcript. His shorthand is a riot of hooks and curlicues, similar to the script of the Eluvatarans but with each character deviating slightly from the line. As the Librarian finishes, Ely numbers each of his proposals, flips the page, and divides the next into three numbered sections.

"Excuse me," he says, taking the time now to look over his notes, "but have we really begun at the beginning? An agenda is welcome, to be sure, but I'm still not clear on the criteria by which our countries were selected. The agenda points suggest a combination of shared history of either peace or war, exchange of commodities, and geographical proximity, but the priority assigned to each factor, not to mention the selection of the factors themselves, seems incoherent. The list lacks a political factor that can be the basis for principled agreement. Absent that, is there any reason to believe whatever results from this conference won't become a mere arena for self-interested scheming?"

ProP Spokesperson

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 12:01:45 AM »
Helen shifted to her notes on expected representatives and their names and countries of origin.
   Ah, this rude little man is Ely Remmen, of Zimmerwald.  As if there is something wrong with nations getting togeth...what?

The delegate seated next to her tapped her on the shoulder, derailing her train of thought.  “Yes?”  “Oh.”  Seeing the delegate handing her a well crafted pipe, she smiled as she extended her hand to receive the pipe.  “Thanks.  You wouldn't happen to know the strain would you?”  “No?”  “Well, thank you.”  Giving the delegate another smile and nod.
   Well, this stuff can't be any worse than what I've smoked before.  As they say, 'When in Twenty-One.'

She drew a strong smoke from the pipe, seeing the embers glow red and tasting the smoke as it enters her mouth.  She then drew a small breath of air to mix with the smoke, savoring the taste, holding for flavors to manifest.  She made an attempt to identify a classification of the strain.  It smelled familiar and may have had this before.  Then she drew a big breath of air to push the smoke into her lungs and held it for a minute.  Seeing no one else to pass the pipe to, she simply placed it down next to her and let the smoke slow exit her lungs through the nose.  A few minutes later and...
   Oh!  That's some good stuff right there.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 01:21:42 AM by Bustos »

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
Feridnha and Ieter exchanged glances and eyebrow raises while the other delegates discussed the conference's agenda. Ieter nodded to Feridnha and waited for Ely to finish speaking. Feridnha acknowledged the gesture and doodled on the fancy stationary the Khemish gave to them. She'd already drew a caricature of Gilas in blocky thick glasses crying for his inhaler when it was Ieter's chance to speak.

"As representatives of the Gaeanist People's Party, Feridnha as representative of the Economic Council, and I as the representative of the People's Senate, we were sent here by the good faith of the Listener and Ozian people to speak for their interests while reforming our government's reputation as amicable and trustworthy.  While some points of interest are noble and the right way forward for our natural world and growing global economy, we cannot entrust an organization with Ozian scientific and military secrets. We're also not interested in alliances or global intitiatives for justice either, as the last time the Ozian government signed such agreements were before the great war."

"Also, we cannot trust other members of this initiative to adhere to safety standards and environmental protocols agreed to at this conference as certain representatives here speak for states based on misread and misguided interpretations of antiquated ideas or social structures. They believe in cutting corners and costs at the expense of others. A body would have to be put in place to enact high punitive actions against states who fail to meet these standards."

"These grievances and those correctly pointed out by Ely of Zimmerwald are only the surface of our concerns with this agenda. The most important grievance though, is the Divine People's Republic cannot willingly work with other states or non-states that maintain castes with little social mobility based on birth or economic disadvantage. You spoke of modernity in terms of science and military, but modernity isn't given like a blue print, it's cultivated from a society with independent thought and action. Our government is hardly innocent for perpetuating this problem, and for too long our people have lived in slums under oppression of direships. We are taking actions to correct our nation's past sins, and that includes ceasing cooperation with monopolists, plutocracts, and autocrats. Without major reforms, we will not seek such agreements." 

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »
"And what is this talk of 'mutual defense'?" Gilas asked barely a breath after the Ozian delegation finished their turn. "Myroria shall be expected to lay down her arms against her enemies, ancient or new, with no more than the promise of goodwill? To do so would be folly. As would sharing our confidential technology or research! The technological advances gained in our universities and military compounds are to be given in confidence to our allies. Just because someone is your neighbor," Gilas said, glancing briefly at the Ozians, "does not mean they can be trusted."

"And as for standards of measurement and industry protocols - the Joint Eluvataran-Myrorian Standardization Protocols might be instrumental - " Gilas paused as he heard Ieter and Ferindha snickering. "might be instrumental here. In the midst of the Great War, Myroria and Eluvatar set aside their differences in culture to standarize their munition calibers, crate sizes, et cetera. Shortly after the war the Protocols standardized measurements, discarding such archaic terms as the Eluvataran elin and league for the standard meter and kilometer, or the Myrorian hundreddram and thirtyscruple for the standard half-liter and ounce, respectively. Perhaps any universal system agreed upon here could take a cue from the Eluvataran-Myrorian system."

"Now," he continued, adjusting himself in his seat. "There are admirable goals in this itinerary, such as the clauses protecting the environment. Myroria has been an ardent protector of her forests from invasive logging, and has passed extensive legislation to clean our rivers. We would applaud an international convention to protect the planet on which we all live."
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Letonna

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 02:26:08 AM »
Pelrin Vambaum waited for a few of the other delegates to speak first. He wanted to test the waters first before jumping in, political opinion guns blazing. when a few of the delegates spoke, he cleared his throat, and began to speak.

"It is the Empire's opinion that what happens within it's own borders is it's own concern. The Crown would not endorse any such international organization, nor would answer to any allegations of wrong doing. It is my own personal opinion that many strides have been made to heal our turbulent past, and no exterior influence is needed. Asking us to share our military and scientific secrets and resources is a steep request as well, Kno'Tai. "

Pelrin gave a distrustful look to Kno'Tai before continuing.

"As for the regulations regarding stricter environmental practices, I'm cautious. The Letonese economy draws heavily from mining, lumber and manufacturing. What kind of numbers are we talking about? What percentage of profits? And exactly do you mean by more "environmentally sound methods of industry?" I fear you may be unwittingly trying to stunt our growth and prosperity. If you can propose to me some cost effective methods with reasonable methods, I'll consider it."

Satisfied with himself, Pelrin leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms, and awaited another person to speak.

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 07:15:21 AM »
The Myrorian made a point.  This...Gilas Quarrovth.  Might be the only thing this conference achieves since this is going nowhere fast.  Of course it helps that the Allied States had already adopted the Eluvataran-Myrorian system when it came out.  I suppose it's time I contribute and hopefully if we can agree on one thing...

Helen stands up, hoping to draw the delegates' attention.  She begins speaking in a cheerful manner.

“For those who do not know me, I am Helen La Lime.  I am the Assistant Director of the Office of Public Relations of the Allied States.  The Chairperson is glad the Allied States has been given this opportunity to be present at this conference.

Clearly sensitive matters such as technology, which each of our countries have poured money, time, and effort into are not going to be handed out and passed around.  We can all agree on that.

Creating regulations and forcing all of us to comply is easier said than done.  How would we even enforce such measures?  What would be the appropriate consequences and who decides these matters?  I think that's better left for each of our own countries to regulate.  Looks like we all agree on that as well.

Hmm...enforcement.  Would you really embargo items that prevents a country to feed itself?  Think of the children.  That could lead to some rather violent reactions.  And WAR!  What's it good for?

So we must ask ourselves, what can we accomplish here?  What success will you report back to your leaders?  Forget cultural or political differences.  I doubt we came here to waste our time, that could be better spent elsewhere.  We all came here in hopes we could all work together.  So, what can we all do that will make working together easier?  The Allied States seeks an accomplishment to that end.”

Helen gives a smile at the end of her input.  With a small nod, sits back down.  Hook....Line...Sinker
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:22:37 AM by Bustos »

Brought to you by Bustos