Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Let this region resound with the song of the Kitten Paw Happy-time, and be permeated with the smell of catnip and pine!

Author Topic: Aquaire AR 2 Writing Contest!  (Read 13276 times)

Offline Red Mones

• Citizen-Initiator
  • Minister of Corruption
Re: Aquaire AR 2 Writing Contest!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 01:12:51 AM »
Excellent!

Offline Solclquial

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
Can I request a sizable increase to the minimum word count? 750 max is really limiting. >1000 could work.

Aside: did you delete the contest thread? I can't seem to find it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:27:59 AM by Solclquial »

"I do not care how brave a president is; I do not care how many medals he may wear. I do not care how well trained his guards may be. If he violates the will of the people, he shall be eliminated." - Ferdinand Marcos

Offline bigbaldben

• Voice of the People Editor
  • The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »
Can I request a sizable increase to the minimum word count? 750 max is really limiting. >1000 could work.

Aside: did you delete the contest thread? I can't seem to find it.

I can work in a new limit, sure.

Yes, I deleted the thread - see Awesomesaucers comments.  We're waiting for him and O to set up their thingamajig.

Offline Bustos

• Citizen
  • Spam Deity
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »
Dang wished I had read the limit was raised...I had to cut down from ~830 words, managed to get under 750.  My story is probably cleaner as a result, in any case.

So is this still a thing?
Allied States of Bustos (WIP)

Brought to you by Bustos

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 08:25:07 PM »
Dang wished I had read the limit was raised...I had to cut down from ~830 words, managed to get under 750.  My story is probably cleaner as a result, in any case.

Awesomesaucer - how goes the thingamajig?

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
  • Anyone who's Google's friend is my friend!
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »

Remember, we haven't officially started yet.  Orri (where the hell is he?!) and I need to finish the Mentor bill.
--
Sincerely,

Former Citizen-Liaison of Taijitu,

Evan C.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 08:17:29 PM »

Remember, we haven't officially started yet.  Orri (where the hell is he?!) and I need to finish the Mentor bill.

Right.  I'll give it a little while longer but if nothing comes soon, you guys can use a second contest to bring people in.  This is meant to be recurring - plus, it might be good to try this out and iron out kinks before we invite the world in to participate.

Offline Wast

• Citizen
  • Will post an RP once I finish that novel
    • www.wast.biz
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 05:13:04 AM »
I think now might be the time to start. Waiting doesn't seem so beneficial at this point.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
Ok, sounds good. I will set up the thread (hopefully) today sometime...and for this first one I'll probably remove the post count thing. That'll be good for later contests, if continued.

Offline Solclquial

• Citizen
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 03:29:41 AM »
While it would be a neat challenge for a 'Short Stories' contest with a word limit, in this case, a more satisfying output of articles will be produced if we remove such a limit.

"I do not care how brave a president is; I do not care how many medals he may wear. I do not care how well trained his guards may be. If he violates the will of the people, he shall be eliminated." - Ferdinand Marcos

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
  • Anyone who's Google's friend is my friend!
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »
I'll make a PSA on-site later on today when the thread goes back up.  Super excited!
--
Sincerely,

Former Citizen-Liaison of Taijitu,

Evan C.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
Aquaire AR 2 Writing Contest: "Discovery"
Contest Opens 17 Aquaire AR 2 (November 5, 2015)
Contest Ends 31 Aquaire AR 2 (November 30, 2015)

Topic:  new "technology" is discovered in your nation.  "Technology" here is defined as pretty much anything - from fire to wheel to flight to time travel - it does not have to exist in RL.  Note the words "in your nation."  That applies to your Taijitu worldbuilding nation, unless you do not have one.  If you don't have one of those, use your NationStates nation.  If you don't have one of those either, consider this your first story for your new nation.  :)

Rules:
1. MINIMUM 500 words (b/c of prize structure); NO MAXIMUM - however, I'm not going to read 10 novels - at least not very intently - so let's try to keep it within reason!
2. Must be posted in contest thread (to be created) by 11:59:59:59 pm US Eastern Time, November 30, 2015.  You also may NOT edit after that time!
3. Doesn't necessarily have to be a short story.  Can be in the form of poetry, song, comic, whatever.  Keep in mind, however, that this is a writing contest, so your work will only be judged on the basis of the writing.
4. OPEN TO ANYONE
5. Story should be stand-alone.  You can/should use your existing nation, can use existing characters, etc., but entries should be able to be read by someone unfamiliar with your nation.  If you need explanations of something crucial about your nation and can fit it into the word limit, more power to you.
6. Story does NOT have to include dialogue or any other writing device. Use any style that you think will suit your story.  I want you guys to have as much leeway for creativity as possible.
7. ONE ENTRY PER PERSON
8. Oh, must be in English.  Sorry. :(

Judging:
I will be the sole judge for this contest.  I'm doing that mainly for convenience this time 'round.  If this is a success, I may ask different people to help judge in a particular contest.  I believe I can be an impartial judge, and will do my best to fulfill that duty.  Originality, creativity and ease-of-comprehension will all be considered. 

Prizes:
Number of prizes will depend on number of entries.  Hopefully this will motivate you to motivate your friends to enter.  That said, I do reserve the right to disqualify any entries that I feel, for whatever reason, were posted just to get us to a higher prize structure.

1-2 entries, 0 prizes.  I'll still pick a winner, for bragging rights.  :D
3-4 entries, 1 prize: $50 to the winner. 
5-7 entries, 2 prizes$75 to the winner, $25 for second place
8-10 entries, 3 prizes$100 to the winner, $50 for second place, $25 for third place.
Over 10 entries, 3 prizes$125 to the winner, $75 for second place, $30 for third place, $5 for fourth and fifth place.

Prizes will be paid out via Paypal at the conclusion of the judging.  If you don't have Paypal or if that makes it really onerous for you to receive your prize, we can work something out.

Ok, posting the revised rules here for comment.  Does this sound ok to everyone?  Or rather, if you have anything you think should be different, speak now or forever hold your pee.

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »
5. Story should be stand-alone.  You can/should use your existing nation, can use existing characters, etc., but entries should be able to be read by someone unfamiliar with your nation.  If you need explanations of something crucial about your nation and can fit it into the word limit, more power to you.

Would using the abbr tag be appropriate? Does formatting count toward word count?

Otherwise no issues, brimming with ideas.

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »

Would using the abbr tag be appropriate? Does formatting count toward word count?

Otherwise no issues, brimming with ideas.

What does the abbr tag do?

For word limit, I'm not going to kick a story out for being a few words short.  I'm probably just going to use the "word count" option in Microsoft Word, however that counts.

I'll add that to the announcement for shizzle.

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 03:34:23 AM »
abbr.

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai: