Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: The counter-revolution will soon be as dead as the Q Society!

Author Topic: Aquaire AR 2 Writing Contest!  (Read 13273 times)

Offline bigbaldben

• Voice of the People Editor
  • The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
Aquaire AR 2 Writing Contest!
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:46:58 AM »
Ok, let's give this a shot!  If successful, I will tweak any and everything in subsequent versions.

Aquaire AR 2 Writing Contest: "Discovery"
Contest Opens 17 Aquaire AR 2 (October 11, 2015)
Contest Ends 31 Aquaire AR 2 (October 25, 2015)

Topic:  new "technology" is discovered in your nation.  "Technology" here is defined as pretty much anything - from fire to wheel to flight to time travel - does not have to exist in RL.  Note the words "in your nation."  That applies to your Taijitu worldbuilding nation, unless you do not have one.  If you don't have one of those, use your NationStates nation.  If you don't have one of those either, consider this your first story for your new nation.  :)

Rules:
1. MAXIMUM 750 words. MINIMUM 500 words (b/c of prize structure)
2. Must be posted in contest thread (to be created) by 11:59:59:59 pm US Eastern Time, Aquaire 31 AR2 (October 25, 2015)  You also may NOT edit after that time!
3. Doesn't necessarily have to be a short story.  Can be in the form of poetry, song, comic, whatever.  Keep in mind, however, that this is a writing contest, so your work will only be judged on the basis of the writing.
4. Open to anyone who has posted on the forums in the last SIX months.  I expect future contests (if any) will be open to anyone registered here - and maybe a mass email to all members in the hope of drawing some members back in to the forums.
5. Story should be stand-alone.  You can/should use your existing nation, can use existing characters, etc., but entries should be able to be read by someone unfamiliar with your nation.  If you need explanations of something crucial about your nation and can fit it into the word limit, more power to you.
6. Story does NOT have to include dialogue or any other writing device. Use any style that you think will suit your story.  I want you guys to have as much leeway for creativity as possible.
7. ONE ENTRY PER PERSON
8. Oh, must be in English.  Sorry. :(

Judging:
I will be the sole judge for this contest.  I'm doing that mainly for convenience this time 'round.  If this is a success, I may ask different people to help judge in a particular contest.  I believe I can be an impartial judge, and will do my best to fulfill that duty.  Originality, creativity and ease-of-comprehension will all be considered. 

Prizes:
Number of prizes will depend on number of entries.  Hopefully this will motivate you to motivate your friends to enter.  That said, I do reserve the right to disqualify any entries that I feel, for whatever reason, were posted just to get us to a higher prize structure.

1-2 entries, 0 prizes.  I'll still pick a winner, for bragging rights.  :D
3-4 entries, 1 prize: $50 to the winner. 
5-7 entries, 2 prizes$75 to the winner, $25 for second place
8-10 entries, 3 prizes$100 to the winner, $50 for second place, $25 for third place.
Over 10 entries, 3 prizes$125 to the winner, $75 for second place, $30 for third place, $5 for fourth and fifth place.

Prizes will be paid out via Paypal at the conclusion of the judging.  If you don't have Paypal or if that makes it really onerous for you to receive your prize, we can work something out.

I will put the Contest Entry thread up tomorrow, so that will give you 14 days.

Please post any questions in this thread!  I'm sure I forgot something...

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
  • Anyone who's Google's friend is my friend!
Re: Aquaire AR 2 Writing Contest!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
Cool idea!  :)

Quick question about the topic: does the tech have to be discovered, or can it be some form of an invention that perhaps furthers another type of tech?  Also, is tech that could exist IRL banned?  Thanks!
--
Sincerely,

Former Citizen-Liaison of Taijitu,

Evan C.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »

Quick question about the topic: does the tech have to be discovered, or can it be some form of an invention that perhaps furthers another type of tech?  Also, is tech that could exist IRL banned?  Thanks!

Not sure about the first question.  Maybe yes?  I think we can be loose with what qualifies.

Second question: no.  I was thinking along the lines of ANYthing - which is why I said

from fire to wheel to flight to time travel - does not have to exist in RL.

If fire and wheel are included, and they exist IRL, they are not banned.  :)

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »

Not sure about the first question.  Maybe yes?  I think we can be loose with what qualifies.
I was thinking personally that I would do something that involves the internet, a technology that wasn't entirely "discovered."  Does this count?
--
Sincerely,

Evan C.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »

I was thinking personally that I would do something that involves the internet, a technology that wasn't entirely "discovered."  Does this count?

Oh, got it.  Sure, I think that would work.  :)

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 11:13:24 PM »
Sorry I haven't had a chance to get the thread up yet.  I'll add some time to the end.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »
Entry thread is live!

For those of you uninterested in the monetary prize(s), I would still urge you to participate - this (and every story you write) is another piece of the massive world building you enjoy.  So write! And get other people to write as well. The more we have, the better our world will be!

Offline Red Mones

• Citizen-Initiator
  • Minister of Corruption
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
We should post this on the RMB, maybe we'll get more active forum members.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 07:02:31 PM »
We should post this on the RMB, maybe we'll get more active forum members.

Great idea, please do!

Do you think I should wave the forum posting requirement? At least for this first one?

Offline Red Mones

• Citizen-Initiator
  • Minister of Corruption
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
I don't know. I seems kind of late to tell people who aren't on the forum. We needed to give them some time to think of what to write about first.

Edit: I'm sure we'll definitely get some newcomers if we're offering cash prizes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:24:00 PM by Red Mones »

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 12:21:51 AM »
I don't know. I seems kind of late to tell people who aren't on the forum. We needed to give them some time to think of what to right about first.

Should we extend the deadline?

Or, more to the point, do we really want to be flooded with newbies that are strictly trying to win money to come blasting in,will zero intention of sticking around after the contest is over?  Some would be acceptable I suppose, but...

Offline Solclquial

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 12:44:36 AM »
I second any suggestion to extend the deadline to at least next month, to avoid a rushed flood of entries.

"I do not care how brave a president is; I do not care how many medals he may wear. I do not care how well trained his guards may be. If he violates the will of the people, he shall be eliminated." - Ferdinand Marcos

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »
I don't know. I seems kind of late to tell people who aren't on the forum. We needed to give them some time to think of what to right about first.

Should we extend the deadline?

Or, more to the point, do we really want to be flooded with newbies that are strictly trying to win money to come blasting in,will zero intention of sticking around after the contest is over?  Some would be acceptable I suppose, but...
Maybe change it to two months and at least 25 or 50 posts. Getting that much isn't hard. You can get that in an hour on the games section alone.

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 09:28:20 PM »
I have an idea.  You know Orri's idea of "incentives" to get more people into NS and the forums?  Well, this is a perfect example.

DO NOT post anything on the RMB yet.  In fact, pretend that this post doesn't exist.  Let's let the Mentor program finalize its details (in fact, Orri and I are working on a bill right now that would handle some finer details), and as soon as it does, and the Mentors are ready...we post this as a PSA to the RMB.

I'm sure that at least a few new people will come in, and when they do, and they write their story, we can have the mentors on standby to talk to them about the rest of Taijitu, and making sure they stay.  This is a perfect trial run.
--
Sincerely,

Evan C.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »
I have an idea.  You know Orri's idea of "incentives" to get more people into NS and the forums?  Well, this is a perfect example.

DO NOT post anything on the RMB yet.  In fact, pretend that this post doesn't exist.  Let's let the Mentor program finalize its details (in fact, Orri and I are working on a bill right now that would handle some finer details), and as soon as it does, and the Mentors are ready...we post this as a PSA to the RMB.

I'm sure that at least a few new people will come in, and when they do, and they write their story, we can have the mentors on standby to talk to them about the rest of Taijitu, and making sure they stay.  This is a perfect trial run.

I ... don't disagree with you!  Huh.  I'll be damned.  :D

Ok, let's announce early enough for any would-be entrants to come into Taijitu and get their feet wet (25 to 30 posts).  I'll hold off until you Mentos or Mentors or whatever are ready, then decide the schedule. 

Any opposed to this new course of action?