Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: The counter-revolution will soon be as dead as the Q Society!

Author Topic: META: IRC channel  (Read 15256 times)

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
META: IRC channel
« on: February 01, 2015, 02:55:36 AM »
What would the citizens of Taijitu think about registering an IRC channel for the Aniane Memorial Lecture Hall? In events like the World Fair, speakers would, when scheduled to give a lecture, give it in an IRC channel like, say, #auditoriumone, then take questions about it in real time from people waiting in the channel. Usually, to prevent disruptions, the operators of the channel would make it +m so that only those with voice privileges could speak during the lecture itself.

After the lecture was given, the transcript and maybe some questions and their answers would be posted in the forum. The channel would serve as a supplement, not a replacement. Speakers could still give lectures and take questions the old-fashioned way, through posts on the forum, if they so desired. The channel would have the Dean and probably the channel owner as ops, as a matter of course. It could be named #anianehall or something like that, though granted that exact name sounds kind of like an Asylum ripoff of a Woody Allen film.

Comments or concerns about this idea?
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
Re: META: IRC channel
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 04:00:56 AM »
My main concern is downtime of the channel when dedicated only to lectures. If this were also used for public debates and other things I believe it would be utilized more. Also the name doesn't really roll off the tongue nicely at all. How about Taijitu Amphitheatre, Citizens Stage or somesuch?

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline Myroria

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 03:35:56 AM »
#revolutionplaza would also be an option, after the Place de la Concorde/Révolution in Paris.

If the people would like a general debate channel I'd be fine with it, but last time someone discussed public debate occurring in IRC people started yelling about cabals so I was wary to bring it up.
"I assure you -- I will be quite content to be a mere mortal again, dedicated to my own amusements."

Offline Delfos

• Citizen
  • Who is Aniane?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 02:11:08 PM »
I don't think we should do another IRC channel. Our channel is good enough and we can set the mood the way we want it.

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:10:04 PM »
This is a lovely idea.

Having it sit idle between lectures doesn't seem like a problem to me (it ain't like we're paying for time) so I'd support having the channel be solely for them, though I'd not vehemently oppose leaving it open for public debates if that's what others prefer.

I'd favor posting the entire log on the forum for those who were not present for it, all questions and answers included.

I don't think we should do another IRC channel. Our channel is good enough and we can set the mood the way we want it.

I disagree. Taking over the main channel with a lecture when people are in there to chat about GP/tell offensive jokes/share cat pictures would be an unnecessary disruption. Creating a lecture channel does nothing to take away from the main channel, nor does it require a great deal of effort to establish or keep up. We can set the mood there as easily as in any other channel.

Offline Khem

• Pha bless you.
  • Citizen
  • OG-Citizen
    • Khem
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
This is a lovely idea.

Having it sit idle between lectures doesn't seem like a problem to me (it ain't like we're paying for time) so I'd support having the channel be solely for them, though I'd not vehemently oppose leaving it open for public debates if that's what others prefer.

I'd favor posting the entire log on the forum for those who were not present for it, all questions and answers included.

I disagree. Taking over the main channel with a lecture when people are in there to chat about GP/tell offensive jokes/share cat pictures would be an unnecessary disruption. Creating a lecture channel does nothing to take away from the main channel, nor does it require a great deal of effort to establish or keep up. We can set the mood there as easily as in any other channel.

The wisdom of our dear Delegate is boundless.  As there is opposition to using this for purposes aside from lectures I will withhold my thoughts as far as expanding in that direction. #revolutionplaza is much catchier :)

Peoples Confederation of Holy Isles of al'Khem
:tai: Persona :tai: Worldbuilding Guide :tai: Nation of al'Khem :tai:

Offline Allama

• LibraryThing
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »
Fuck yeah, #revolutionplaza 4 lyfe

Offline Dyr Nasad

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 02:04:09 PM »
A separate channel is a good idea - though I wonder if we really need this much planning for a channel :P we can make it when we need it

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
  • Anyone who's Google's friend is my friend!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »
I support it!
--
Sincerely,

Former Citizen-Liaison of Taijitu,

Evan C.

Offline bigbaldben

• Voice of the People Editor
  • The Republic of Megatridimensional Order
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »
IRC noob here; are we talking about voice - actually vocally giving a speech/lecture or just like a normal text chat?   If we are, how would we post a log?

Either way, I would definitely participate! Would love to try some RP in real time. Having instant reactions and off the cuff answers could cause some colossal, unexpected screw ups for my nation to deal with!  ;D

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:03 PM »
IRC noob here; are we talking about voice - actually vocally giving a speech/lecture or just like a normal text chat?   If we are, how would we post a log?

Either way, I would definitely participate! Would love to try some RP in real time. Having instant reactions and off the cuff answers could cause some colossal, unexpected screw ups for my nation to deal with!  ;D
We're talking about text-based events and debates.  I hope one day we will have many IRC servers for different things, this one being for public events and debates.   :)
--
Sincerely,

Evan C.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »

We're talking about text-based events and debates.  I hope one day we will have many IRC servers for different things, this one being for public events and debates.   :)

K, thx. Totally for scheduled events of any kind.

Offline St Oz

• Sub-Commandante
  • Citizen-Delegate
  • www.something.com
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 04:41:56 PM »

This extra IRC is reserved for any lectures someone may want to type out in real time and answer any questions they might have in real time. This isn't really for RP, but it can definitely be a lecture about RP, lectures on ways to create immersion, creating a national backstory, creating interesting characters, etc.

K, thx. Totally for scheduled events of any kind.

We don't have a teamspeak (kinda wish we did, I think my friend wouldn't mind us using his because he has an ass of a LoL community already there and we could probably help drive 'em out.) or anything like that, but we all mostly have skype and sometimes get on it (some of us are apprehensive because they have other things to do in the day than talk to a bunch of nerds for hours).

Again this is more for scholarly type lectures and workshops. If you are comfortable enough to host some sort of lecture in real time on skype that's great too, but there's also this IRC channel available at our disposal if you need it. I don't mind if anyone wants to use for some popcorn dinner theater or to use as some play.

All-in-all just pre-determine what you're going to do, because many of the world builders here don't like spontaneous decision making or super complicated OOC-driven wars. We all have bad experiences with that in the past.

Offline bigbaldben

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
Quote from: ST_OZ

We don't have a teamspeak (kinda wish we did, I think my friend wouldn't mind us using his because he has an ass of a LoL community already there and we could probably help drive 'em out.) or anything like that, but we all mostly have skype and sometimes get on it (some of us are apprehensive because they have other things to do in the day than talk to a bunch of nerds for hours).

Again this is more for scholarly type lectures and workshops. If you are comfortable enough to host some sort of lecture in real time on skype that's great too, but there's also this IRC channel available at our disposal if you need it. I don't mind if anyone wants to use for some popcorn dinner theater or to use as some play.

All-in-all just pre-determine what you're going to do, because many of the world builders here don't like spontaneous decision making or super complicated OOC-driven wars. We all have bad experiences with that in the past.

Oh, ok, got it. I could see where it could be trouble now that you mention it.

Offline AwesomeSaucer

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 08:49:59 PM »
We all mostly have skype and sometimes get on it (some of us are apprehensive because they have other things to do in the day than talk to a bunch of nerds for hours).
Whoa, you guys have a Skype chat!  I gotta hit that up!  :D

(But I won't bother you guys too much.  ;))
--
Sincerely,

Evan C.